derek1163

Problem (if you dont have halflife)

33 posts in this topic

If i dont have halflife 2 installed but i do have portal, can i still play them? I have the half life2 demo. Please help. My account name is Dispenser built by Derek.

I'm not sure. But in order to have it appear in Portal, all you need to do is copy a couple of folders to the portal folder (instructions written in the readme.txt).

But wait for Hen's reply - perhaps it isn't a good idea without full HL2 installed.

I played through most of the maps without HL2.

Most of the levels played smoothly, but there were a few "ERROR" models, to replace the HL2 ones. Near the end of the game though, I think you need HL2 for the models.

1) Yeah, it makes sense those games include the simple, overused (:P) HL2 models he used.

2) what kind of sense is that that it's free?!?!

Oh. Lol I clicked 'get it now' (I have nvidia) and yes I have steam and it showed:

Half-Life 2: Deathmatch - Game already in account

Half-Life 2: Lost Coast - Game already in account

Portal: The First Slice - Full game already in account

Peggle Extreme - Game already in account

You already own all of these games. You can access your games from the Steam 'My Games' list.

Speaking of steam, what color is it? (Answer and I'll tell you why you're soooo wrong!)

Post a picture of it :P. (And I will not talk about the RL steam in this topic, if I do, ban me. I mean it. :P)

NeatNit said:

Post a picture of it :P. (And I will not talk about the RL steam in this topic, if I do, ban me. I mean it. :P)

That's what I thought you were going to do >.

FWIW, I downloaded the HL2 preview which "preloaded" HL2 and did not notice any problems.

These games really stretch my old computer -- I can play Portal mostly OK, the HL2 preview doesn't work at all, this mappack from time to time makes the computer go "gzzt" - but judicious saving allowed me to play through and enjoy i very much.

Guess I'll have to play HL2 on a console, or get a new computer.

OMG

I have the same problem! HL2 and EP1 don't work, while EP2, TF2 and Portal work. I believe it's some problem with an update or something, and it's VERY annoying. Most of the times, the games that work crash though, but that is just because of some other thing.

Please give me your computer specs, so I can compare and see what might be causing it.

(Also, tell me how to check mine ><)

Hey, my first post here.

I'm also playing Portal mappack without HL2 installed, and so far it went well, with a few things missing, like the ventilation tunnels (i crawled on kaleidoscopic white lines :D), the blue electric lights replaced with a chess-patterned black and pink texture and some big red ERROR! objects. But now I can't move on because I'm supposed to walk on pipes and they're replaced with ERROR which are not solid to step on. To see where I'm stuck, go to the walk-through and on the Part 8, advance to the 8:00 minute mark.

I own HL2 but it's with my brother, and I believe he has it installed on his Pc. Can you guys tell me which files should he send me in order to complete this amazing custom map ??

Thanks

If you use the same user, and you have the password, all you have to do is log into that account and download Half-Life 2. Or download the HL2 demo : I dunno.

I'm not saying it'll work, but it does have a better chance.

NeatNit said:

If you use the same user, and you have the password, all you have to do is log into that account and download Half-Life 2. Or download the HL2 demo : I dunno.

I'm not saying it'll work, but it does have a better chance.

Thanks for the reply, but since my connection is not that great, I don't see the point of downloading a full 5 GB game just so that one or two textures can be used. I really thought the creators of the game could point what file is responsible for the pipes (especially) and the other stuff I mentioned.

Does your brother have a CD burner? If not, do you have some very large (5 GB :P) USB file storage device?

Steam has a backup feature that you can burn into a CD (or put in the device)

Yes he does have a device... thanks for the suggestion.

But I still wanna know which files are used, because if he can avoid mailing me the device and send me an e-mail instead with the folders compressed for me to download, that would be much better.

I'll look for it. Meanwhile, tell him to download GCFScape if he doesn't have it yet. (Google it)

Edit: Alright, I found a folder called props_pipes in some GCF, so I extracted it and compressed it... It's 2.8 MB. I'll upload to RapidShare and give you a link!

But I made a tiny mistake, so you'll need to extract the RAR file somewhere else and then copy the folder inside... Eventually, you'll need to have the props_pipes in your portal/models folder. (the models folder should already be there)

Edit: Link: http://rapidshare.co...les/132679604/P ... Portal.rar

thank you so much ... it worked :D

I was able to go meet the final boss, but a lot of things there are missing as well. The broken walls, the crates, the big containers we're supposed to walk over, a few wire grids, the floor in which we have to shoot the portal quickly while falling from the upper portal.

Anyway I'll try to ask him about this files. (I got GCFScape)

Thanks NeatNit !