Adrenelite

Just beat the mappack...

38 posts in this topic

And I gotta say, this was about as good if not better than the original game itself. Good job guys!!! Also, it was very reminiscent of the flash game with some twists. My hat goes off to Hen Mazolski.

Oh and not meaning to give any spoilers, but the last part was AWESOME! Thanks again and please create more awesome map packs! :D:bdance::caek:

Adrenelite said:

And I gotta say, this was about as good if not better than the original game itself.

I've heard this a few times now. That's quite an achievement :caek:

Adrenelite said:

Good job guys!!!
Actually, it's only Hen.

Oh and not meaning to give any spoilers, but the last part was AWESOME!
You call that a spoiler? O_o

NeatNit said:

Oh and not meaning to give any spoilers, but the last part was AWESOME!
You call that a spoiler? O_o

I think he means "I don't want to give any spoilers"

I just beat it as well, i heard a few things about the boss at the end but i didnt really have anything to imagine it as until seeing it in person, and wow that thing is persistant! And i also liked how you made the portal gun spark and shoot random portals like it was broken, which is good since it was supposed to be!

I'm using white against grey, since even grey against grey is a bit dark and is easier to see, it's easier to read by just holding left mouse button and scrolling over it. What's that called again? Whatever. I don't know how to do spoilder warninngs so i just do that.

WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS:

Superb map-pack. I loved how you made it feel like a prequel of the original. The puzzles were very well done, they actually felt like a chalange, the fact that you introduced the flash version puzzle items in the map pack was amazing (i.e. the red-death field). What i really liked was the way the portal gun jumped around shooting random portals at the end. That was a small detail that felt amazing, one of many that you made. Well done, Hen, Valve should look you up.

I just beat it. I got stuck on a couple of levels that other people had problems with, but I should have figured it out.

Thanks for creating it. It was great and it was probably harder than playing the advanced maps from the original.

POSSIBLY CONTAINS SPOILERS:

Much like the Neverwinter Nights scenarios I downloaded, this far exceeds the original game (which, again, like NWN, is supposed to be a tutorial/example of using the game mechanics) in terms of difficulty and fun. Then again, the amazing game mechanics and ideas became a backseat to the wonderfully dry and black humor of the original. For me, at least.

Interestingly enough, some of the rooms I only beat because I've played the actual flash version first, and, thus, had a better idea of what I was stumbling around in, especially the replication of Room 40. The new levels I found fun, but they didn't seem nearly as challenging as the old TFV levels. Without previously playing the actual Flash version, the replication of Room 40 would have had me stumped for a week. It's much more difficult when you don't have the whole layout of the room in front of you.

What I think a lot of the review posts have not touched on, however, is the very clever use of GLaDOS' voice clips. I thoroughly enjoyed the "The Enrichment Center apologizes for this clearly broken test chamber" moment.

And the boss certainly elicited an "OH HOLY CRAP!" moment from me. Oh, and, seriously? A time-pressure fling puzzle over death-water? That's just mean.

Excellent work. I certainly hope you come out with more.

SPOILER WARNING

That was amazing! I like how you made the blue and red particle walls like in the flash game and how you remade the 2D puzzles in 3D. I never would have gotten past the new test 40 if I didn't remember from the flash game! And I do think the "broken portal gun" at the end was a nice touch. Your reuse of GLaDOS' voice in all the right places made it feel like a prequel, and the puzzle where you have to quickly avoid several crushers brougt up memories of playing the flash game. I like the new icons you used to represent new puzzle elements, and when I was done I felt like I did when I beat the original Portal! It's like an entirely new game!

P.S. is it just me, or did you make some new speech for GLaDOS, because there was some toward the end that I didn't recognise.

I noticed those at the end too, but apparently GLaDOS says those stuff at the very end of the game, no one actually stays that long.

Are you sure? Once it took me up to the last second to beat GLaDOS (in the original levels) and she didn't use a phrase like "infinite capacity for knowledge" or anything like that. And yeah, I cracked up in the actually broken test chambers with sound clips from the "impossible" level from the original.

Alright, you know what I have a demo somewhere I believe she says some of those stuff. I was surprised, just when I recorded the demo she started repeating things at different speeds. I have had demo trouble before, so it probably won't work for you. If it doesn't, tell me and I'll make a video.

This is my all time favorite portal mappack

Hen you should be very proud of yourself for making this.

Even if it would've costed me $10 i would still be glad you made it :caek:

The last part was awesome there is just two things I would like to how did you make portal gun hop around like that? Also how did you make the final boss? It made me feel like i was playing portal 2 and not a portal mappack.

great job Hen :bdance:

Who knows, maybe you WERE playing Portal 2? :P

TheNoiseExplosion said:

This is my all time favorite portal mappack

Hen you should be very proud of yourself for making this.

Even if it would've costed me $10 i would still be glad you made it :caek:

The last part was awesome there is just two things I would like to how did you make portal gun hop around like that? Also how did you make the final boss? It made me feel like i was playing portal 2 and not a portal mappack.

great job Hen :bdance:
I made the portal gun hop by parenting a env_physexplosion to it and made the boss (by myself) from a lot of func_tank's.
If you're not familiar with hammer you won't have any idea what I'm talking about.