Bindal

Portal the Flash Version Mappack: Walkthrough

20 posts in this topic

The title says all: I am working at a video-walkthrough for the mappack. I am sure, some people get stuck at difficult parts, e.g. the cakeroom.

So I thought "there are already mass of walkthroughs of the original Portal and the flash Version, but still noone of the Flashversion-Mappack." So I started today with creating it.

Actually, I just have map 1 and 2, the other will come the next 2 or 3 days. The videos are avaible on youtube, later together as one file as a download perhabs.

The walkthrough is splittet into the levels, so there will be 5 or 6 videos. I removed deaths and parts of long waiting, where nothing happens. The sound is also removed.

I know, thats not the optimal way of finishing the maps and I also know that I made some mistakes but it helps anyway.

PS: First post, yay. xD

That is awesome. Many people are going to use it, great job!

We already have a walkthrough under production, but Hen is pretty much responsible for it and to the guy who records it, and he's currently away so I'm unsure when's ours going to come out if ever. But anyway this is awesome.

There's a full one in the sticky Level Help thread (I think).

Just like every time you release something.

Including this one, it happened twice. Could still be broken, release some more stuff, we'll test it :P.

Well, it's better to have two or three walkthrough then just one, right? And it much easyer to find a Walkthrough, when the threads is called "walkthrough" then to read 40 posts to find a link.

However, Part 3 is up. (I had to split it because of the 10-minutes limit of youtube.)

First

second

Actually, I think the other FINISHED walkthrough deserves a thread too.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm sure yours is just as good, and 2 really is better than 1, but the other one's finished... :P

Why was sound removed, and how did you record them? (Also what did you use to edit them :P, most probable answer would be Windows Movie Maker).

I know that the other is finished and my isn't but i started to create the walkthrough yesterday at the morning and it takes much time to beat the mappack, convert the files, edit them and to upload. So I just can make one part per day. But that also means, the walkthrough will be finished Thursday or friday.

NeatNit said:

Why was sound removed,

There are 3 reasons.

First: You don't need sound to see, where you need to go and what's to do.

second: It takes more space on my harddisk to record it with sound.

third: GLADoS and turrets would talk in german. :D

NeatNit said:

and how did you record them?

Fullversion of Fraps.

NeatNit said:

(Also what did you use to edit them :P, most probable answer would be Windows Movie Maker).

exactly, was easiest way to remove the unneeded parts.

I didn't say what you did wasn't good, I didn't watch it yet but by reading what you wrote here I'm sure it's great, but...

Why use Fraps? Source Recorder kicks ass. It's:

A) Already included in every and any Source game.

B) Easy to use, can even, if you want it to, record straight to AVI format.

C) I heard, takes less space and is less bumpy, and maybe also works faster (not sure about that).

But full version, eh? Is it any better than the free one, not including the lame www.fraps.com at the top?

I used Fraps, because it was already installed. And you can record more then 30 seconds with the full, without the fraps.com at top. I don't know all differences 'cause I never used the free version. A friend gave me the install for the full. ^^

Oh, so you didn't really buy it. Alright...

I forgot about the 30sec limit. Anyway I always use Source Recorder, if you need help on how to use it... Search Google, should probably find something. Fraps is good for good computers.

By the way, I noticed most Source Recorder guides don't mention this. To record straight to an AVI, and not to tons of .TGA pictures + .WAV file, just when you start recording write:

startmovie avi

But make sure you're in window mode. It will open a tiny window asking what Codec to use. Pick what you want, and it will start recording as soon as the demo is played.

(You do use demos, right?)

Anyway, we fully support this. I think Ethan's suggestion is good, we'll link to this thread as well.

He's proving his worthiness of being a mod, I guess.

Yesterday, there wasn't a update of the mappack but today, it's finished!

Part4, splitted in 3 (last testchamber was a bit too complex to finish it fast enough)

A:

B:

C:

Part 5 is also done:

Bossfight and Credits:

I'm being driven insane by this part:

06-02.jpg

Let me preface this by saying I'm good at Portal. I can fly through the original game with very few stumbles. I understand the concept of this move -- speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out. I've watched the youtube video that shows someone successfully completing it, and I STILL CAN'T.

I'm up on the platform that rises when you first get to it. I'm looking across at the opposite side with the door. I put one portal close to the opposite block, and I put the other one a little closer to me. I jump off, land in the closer one, and yes, I come sailing out the other.

But after 50+ tries, I still can't actually land on the opposite platform. I shoot up near it, but never close enough to land.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?!?!?!?

Thanks.