gordonfreemannr2

Tips for other map/mod makers?

9 posts in this topic

Yo Hen! Awesome mod going on there! Can't wait for the release. But I have some questions:

1. Where do you find the textures and models?

2. How do I put them into source sdk?

You see I'm making my own horror mod/map too. Inspired by you! And I think it's turning out pretty well. Gonna compile it tonight and test it. :wink2:

Good luck on the mod!

(PS. I kinda screwed up in my mod X3. U see I didn't think my map would get so large... So now I got to wait like 7-8 hours to get it compiled. And then you might think: why don't you part pieces of the map into separate levels? Cuz... The map itself is kinda small, and sometimes you cross the same corridor twice. Oh and I've had some problems with level changes in other levels. Some times they work. Sometimes they just don't! Any tips? Feel free to ask for the map and take a look :wink: . Wow long post.)

Good luck Hen! Loved NH1 :

I have team members who do the models and textures for me, if not them, I'm just taking stuff from sites like garrysmod.org and fpsbanana.com

About your problem, I have no idea, I never experienced anything like that.

You should save yourself a lot of future headache if you'll sketch your maps on paper first.

yea I'll try that. I acctually think my first part of the series is done. Just gotta compile and see. if done. I'll start on the next map and now with my new experience. It won't be that hard. And now I also think I've fixed the problem with the size and compiling time of the map. you see the map is parted up into 2 floors. u start on the lower floor and work your way to the roof where u try to escape. So I'll try to cut the 2 floors and make them sepparate maps. I'll also block some parts in the first floor that won't be visible just yet. I Think I can fix this now :D Gotta sketch a bit now lol. I'll message u when I'm done. See ya. Oh and do you know a good tutorial on how to import models into source sdk and stuff? Thanks and good luck! (God why do I write so much!!!!)

gordonfreemannr2 said:

I kinda screwed up in my mod X3. U see I didn't think my map would get so large... So now I got to wait like 7-8 hours to get it compiled. And then you might think: why don't you part pieces of the map into separate levels? Cuz... The map itself is kinda small, and sometimes you cross the same corridor twice. :
well what i do is when i go to the compile menu i find like the run vis and stuff i set that to fast
it doesnt effect the maps look and it makes it a faster compile(took about 4hours and 55 minutes out of a 5 hour compile)

cpl bradley said:

gordonfreemannr2 said:

I kinda screwed up in my mod X3. U see I didn't think my map would get so large... So now I got to wait like 7-8 hours to get it compiled. And then you might think: why don't you part pieces of the map into separate levels? Cuz... The map itself is kinda small, and sometimes you cross the same corridor twice. :
well what i do is when i go to the compile menu i find like the run vis and stuff i set that to fast
it doesnt effect the maps look and it makes it a faster compile(took about 4hours and 55 minutes out of a 5 hour compile)

It does affect the map, not visually, but it removes almost all optimizations Valve have added to their version of .bsp. Instead of the special way of drawing things that are half hidden and the likes, it draws everything, constantly. Not good for low end systems or big maps at all.