ZenCraft

Hi everyone, need any help?

8 posts in this topic

I recently finished my education in Computer Systems Science, during which time I was actually working on a mod somewhat inspired by the original Nightmare House, that and Silent Hill, Alan Wake, you know the usual suspects... but unfortunately for me my ancient hard drive bit the dust a couple of months ago, which is really why I'm here.

I don't fancy starting over from scratch on another solo project, so I'm looking around to see if there's anything cool going on that I could sign up on. I'm very proficient in Hammer especially with the HL2 entities, I know my way around the HL2 code, although C++ isn't my strong side, unfortunately.

I also have strong drawing skills and am working on improving my photoshop talents, I know to make and texture a nice looking human mesh in programs like XSI, Maya and Max but I haven't really gone past basic animations with any of the tools. I've mostly just tried a bunch of models out with the original biped animations.

Anyway whether you do have room or not there are a couple of suggestions I'd make for the continued development of your mod.

1) Why don't you use post-processing filters to give the mod a distinct look? It's a very cheap way to really set it apart.

2) Are you planning on using more screen overlays and self-made audio this time around, because they can really be used to cool effect.

3) Are you thinking of making any use of the pointclientcommand or bypassing it with code to play around with the game-speed options, because slow motion owns for dramatic effect. I really liked how it was used in Max Payne and it's not that hard to achieve something similar in Source.

You sound like you've got all the skills, finding someone to help shouldn't be too hard, all the mappers on the forum posted here so that's probably a good place to start.

Oh and moved to the You Create Stuff forum.

Where? Also I think Hen and Ido ave got a coder, but you can never have too many coders can you :). Also I like your idea of using slowdown, I might exeriment with that next time a try and make a map.

Hannibal0 said:

your first post and its a double post... THAT is what I call a fail.

Nothing worth posting that isn't worth posting twice is what I always say...

Ethan795 said:

You sound like you've got all the skills, finding someone to help shouldn't be too hard, all the mappers on the forum posted here so that's probably a good place to start.

Oh and moved to the You Create Stuff forum.

Ok, I'll post something there, I think. Atm I'm worried that almost all of my maps are gone because of my harddrive, I also lost a webbased RPG that I'd started working on, I'm just happy I finished school before it happened and a bit pissed of that I didn't have a good backup. The only map I still know that I have is one I sent to myself via gmail three years ago, but it was pretty good and I think I can spiff it up a little.

hexpunK said:

Where? Also I think Hen and Ido ave got a coder, but you can never have too many coders can you :). Also I like your idea of using slowdown, I might exeriment with that next time a try and make a map.

I'll mail you the .vmf file for rp_ghetto anytime, I just need your e-mail address.

I know this isn't the place to post this but add me on steam hexpunk.

ID: bloodyquadrophenic

Okay, so I looked through what's left of my old stuff and the one I was planning to put up will need a lot of work because the copy I still have is mostly just the base architecture. My favorite fancy map is gone too. But I did find one associated mini-map that was nearly done, and could easily be fixed up sometime this weekend. I'll link it up then.