Ethan795

WLM problem...

29 posts in this topic

A lot of people had bad things to say about the latest version of WLM so I decided not to update it for a long time.

Today I decided I was going to have to learn to love it and installed the newest version, but now I can't seem to sign in.

No error message at all, there's spinning WLM-men then they just disappear and I'm presented with the email addresspassword boxes again.

I have completely no idea what's wrong :ohshit:

I have an other problem, a friend of mine sent me a message that says something like: "haha ur foto ----" but in the "----" there is a link to facebook and after it your email in MSN, I got into the link, it made me download a binarical file, I opened it (STUPID!!!), and now everytime I open my comp, there is an .exe program in the task manager that is called "msnmsgrss", and it sends THE SAME MESSAGE I GOT IN THE FIRST PLACE TO OTHER LOGGED IN PEOPLE ON MY MSN LIST!! So I have to close it everytime I open my comp, plus I got all paranoid, and no, I tried CCleaner to get the program of my comp, didn't help, help me someone???

OZ - search your ENTIRE computer for msnmsgrss and REMOVE REMOVE REMOVE.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure about 70% of the users either have viruses/whatevre you call it to send this or bots on outside computer using their user and password to send this.

Sucks ass.

As for you, Ethan, do you mean that after you put in your email & password it spins and goes back to the login page?

In that case, check that you're using the correct info. Try to log in in www.hotmail.com (even if you're using an outside email like I do - gmail for example - it will still let you log in) and if the password and email is correct then... I don't know.

OZPruduction said:

I have an other problem, a friend of mine sent me a message that says something like: "haha ur foto ----" but in the "----" there is a link to facebook and after it your email in MSN, I got into the link, it made me download a binarical file, I opened it (STUPID!!!), and now everytime I open my comp, there is an .exe program in the task manager that is called "msnmsgrss", and it sends THE SAME MESSAGE I GOT IN THE FIRST PLACE TO OTHER LOGGED IN PEOPLE ON MY MSN LIST!! So I have to close it everytime I open my comp, plus I got all paranoid, and no, I tried CCleaner to get the program of my comp, didn't help, help me someone???

Do you know how ot enter safe mode on Windows? If so, enter it and do a THROUGH virus scan with any Antivirus you have, then with a malware remover such as Spybot Search & Destroy. If it's still there, then see if it is in your startup items, using the MSConfig thing, or seeing if there is a folder in your start menu called Startup.

NeatNit said:

As for you, Ethan, do you mean that after you put in your email & password it spins and goes back to the login page?
In that case, check that you're using the correct info. Try to log in in www.hotmail.com (even if you're using an outside email like I do - gmail for example - it will still let you log in) and if the password and email is correct then... I don't know.

If I enter the wrong password it tells me.

That's what confuses me, it's like it must be able to connect to know the pw is rightwrong? Yet it won't sign me in.

I've downgraded back to an older version for now and I can log in fine...

Perhaps it was corrupted? Did you try reinstalling? Also after redownloading?

NeatNit said:

Perhaps it was corrupted? Did you try reinstalling? Also after redownloading?

I did a complete uninstall (so even running Regedit and deleting any enteries, etc), redownloaded, and reinstalled. That didn't work.

I think it's a compatablity issue...it just doesn't seem to want to work on this machine. I've no idea why...but I've basically given up and I'm going with the older version again.

.eXeC! said:

Dump the windows app. Get this instead:

http://www.pidgin.im/

Can sign into multiple accounts at same time, supports IRC, MSN, AIM, etc.

It works great for me, it even works on linux.

I don't use any other IM service, or IRC ('cause it's uber bawls - multiplayer notepad ftl) so meh pointless.

Ethan did you happen to upgrade to Windows Vista Sp2? That has been known to kill the most recent WLM.

hexpunK said:

Ethan did you happen to upgrade to Windows Vista Sp2? That has been known to kill the most recent WLM.

Nah fuck Vista, still runnin XP here. I'd downgrade to 98 if it wasn't for compatability issues, purely because it's the Windows I find easier to use, well, know how to use.

Yeah, you'll lose a couple of FPS if your system isn't high end, but the new features + security is well worth it.