Ido

What are you listening to right now

251 posts in this topic

This is exactly what's wrong with the world.

I know it's not a very serious song but a song none the less...I don't know how much of this applies internationally (?) but in the UK it's all true...

The music industry is a pile of shit and has been for many years, it's no wonder no-one's buying their bullshit excuse for music anymore. One of the only artists to come up with something that sounds fresh recently is Cee Lo Green. Too many "artists" are rapping over 90's songs or sampling shitty techno beats and drum loops. All these kids "raving" to mainstream techno crap is just disgusting. I haven't a clue what dub-step is supposed to be but every single track I've heard has been a pile of shit. Lady GaGa is clearly just a fabrication who doesn't write any of her own songs. Katy Perry is a slut who resorts to sexual videos to try and gain listeners, she doesn't write her own music either.

Lily Allen is one of the few decent artists around, she writes her music and cares about it.

I've resorted to listening almost exclusively to movie soundtracks and musicals. Fuck you music industry, I'll buy music when you make music. :/

Wow, exec. +100 for you if I could.

Movie soundtracks are by far the best music I've heard that was made recently. (excluding very few songs)

As for what I'm listening to...

I just love this.. :)

The music industry is a pile of shit and has been for many years, it's no wonder no-one's buying their bullshit excuse for music anymore. One of the only artists to come up with something that sounds fresh recently is Cee Lo Green. Too many "artists" are rapping over 90's songs or sampling shitty techno beats and drum loops. All these kids "raving" to mainstream techno crap is just disgusting. I haven't a clue what dub-step is supposed to be but every single track I've heard has been a pile of shit. Lady GaGa is clearly just a fabrication who doesn't write any of her own songs. Katy Perry is a slut who resorts to sexual videos to try and gain listeners, she doesn't write her own music either.

Lily Allen is one of the few decent artists around, she writes her music and cares about it.

I've resorted to listening almost exclusively to movie soundtracks and musicals. Fuck you music industry, I'll buy music when you make music. :/

The music industry has been fucked for a long time. The thing is, ever since major labels starting appearing and it became a business it became all about the money.

When someone initially makes music, it's pure and true, exactly what they wanted it to be because there was no restraints on them. After you're signed you dilute your music with each release, because there's pressure from labels to reach specific sales targets and to better your last album.

Of course, with the increase of illegal downloads, the music industry has considerably less money in it - but they continue to spend like the industry they used to be. This caused shit loads of labels to collapse and merge and eventually the result was Universal Music Group. To put it in perspective for you, here's a list of labels Universal owns (source)

• Interscope Records
  • Aftermath Entertainment
  • Blackground Records
  • Cherrytree Records
  • F2 Records
  • Maloof Music
  • Mosley Music Group
  • Shady Records
  • Star Trak Entertainment
  • Streamline Records
  • Suretone Records
  • Tennman Records
  • Weapons of Mass Entertainment
  • Zone 4
  • Will.i.am music group
  • Geffen Records
  • Flawless Records
  • Kon Live Distribution
  • Matriarch Records
  • A&M Records
  • A&M/Octone Records
  • DGC Records
  • Island Records
  • Def Jam Recordings
  • Def Jam South
  • Disturbing tha Peace
  • Roc-A-Fella Records
  • Desert Storm Records
  • The Jones Experience
  • Corporate Thugz Entertainment
  • Maybach Music Group
  • Radio Killa Records
  • We the Best Music Group
  • Mercury Records
  • Universal Motown
  • Cash Money Records
  • Young Money Entertainment
  • SRC Records
  • Loud Records
  • Derrty Entertainment
  • Rowdy Records
  • Universal Republic
  • Casablanca Records
  • Republic Nashville
  • Next Plateau Entertainment
  • Serjical Strike Records
  • Tuff Gong
  • Brushfire Records
  • Lava Records
  • ANTI-
  • MCA Nashville Records
  • Mercury Nashville Records
  • Lost Highway Records
  • Universal Music Latino
  • Fonovisa Records
  • Disa Records
  • Machete Music
  • WY Records
  • All Star Records
  • Flow Music
  • Ilegal Life Records
  • Mas Flow Inc.
  • Pina Records
  • Sangre Nueva Music
  • VI Music
  • Verve Records
  • GRP Records
  • Impulse! Records
  • Verve Forecast Records
  • Decca Records
  • Decca Vision
  • Decca Broadway
  • EmArcy Records
  • Universal Music Classical
  • Decca Classics
  • Deutsche Grammophon
  • ECM
  • Hip-O Records
  • V2 Music
  • Co-Operative Music
  • Fontana North
  • Fontana International
  • Polydor Records
  • A&M Records
  • Fascination Records
  • Fiction Records
  • Mercury Music Group
  • Def Jam UK
  • Vertigo Records
  • Island Records Group
  • Universal Music TV
  • The Universal Music Record Label
  • Decca Records
  • Universal Classics and Jazz
  • Deutsche Grammophon
  • Decca Classics
  • Philips Records
  • Verve Records
  • Island Records Australia
  • Mercury Records Australia
  • ARS Entertainment
  • Arsenal Music
  • Linfair Records
  • Show City Times
  • Spinefarm Records
  • AZ Records
  • Barclay Records
  • Decca
  • Deutsche Grammophon
  • ECM New Series
  • Mercury Records
  • Polydor
  • Universal Licensing Music (ULM)
  • Universal Music Jazz France
  • Universal Music Domestic Division
  • Urban Records
  • Cinepoly Records
  • Go East Entertainment
  • Def Jam Japan
  • E-Sum Records
  • Far Eastern Tribe Records
  • less than zero (<0)
  • Milestone Crowds
  • Nayutawave Records
  • Universal Classics
  • Universal Gear
  • Universal International
  • Universal J
  • Universal Jazz
  • Universal Sigma
  • Music Valley
  • Rumpun Records
  • Jazzland Recordings
  • Magic Records
  • Vale Music
  • Polar Music
  • Stockholm Records
  • Sonet Records
  • Believe in Music
  • What's Music

They're touching on taking over the entire music industry but no one seems to care.

There has been a huge rise in independent labels over the last ten years or so, perhaps because all the majors are merging and collapsing people don't trust them. I think this is a good thing but a lot of these people are terrible at distributing their music in physical form (it's a lot of work) so simply put it up online. This is all find and dandy but no one is going to pay for music and you're probably going to struggle to do this 'for a living'. Also, musicians made copious amounts of money but they tended to have short careers (aside from a handful of 'legendary' artists who worked and sold large numbers of records their whole lives) and so you need to make enough money to live the rest of your life in this short space of time - a famous artist would find it extremely difficult to retire into a standard 9-5 with all the pressure of fame and the recognition from everyone.

I could talk about music forever. Oh and dubstep was originally a cross between Dub and a form of UK Garage called 2-step..it took the heavy bass from the reggae influenced Dub and crossed it with the up-tempo drums of 2-step. It's changed greatly now but hey as does anything when it grows. I think it's an obscure genre and 'for the kids' - as easy as it is to bitch about it being weird, boring and repetitive to each his own they're selling records so they gotta be doing something right, just because you or I don't understand the appeal doesn't mean it sucks. Personally I like a lot of jungle\dnb and really hate the fact that dubstep is taking over the live music at these kinda events because it's all classed as 'rave' music. A further blow to dnb was the arrival of these teenie bopper pop acts like Tinchy Stryder who've made it the next big thing to have a drum and bass 'drop' in your song and well quite frankly it's just watered down piss. Raves are dead compared to what they used to be...and I've only been going out drinking in clubs for a few years. I wonder if anyone is actually bothering to read all this.

Oh and yeah, Lily Allen is cool. As for people who write their own lyrics that's something that has always drawn me to hip-hop music. People slate hip-hop these days and I can't really blame them because I hate very close to 100% of what is classed as hip-hop from a contemporary perspective, but underneath is something so much more. The pressure to write your own lyrics is huge and it's something that's very frowned upon if you don't. There's one particular rapper, Skillz, who acquired his fame purely by writing lyrics for other shitty rappers. They would always be the pop rappers like Will Smith, P. Diddy, etc. so they demand little respect from the hip-hop community in the first place...anyway he speaks about rappers under paying him and just generally messing him around whilst he works for them (a ghost writer signs no contract has no expenses and very little contact with the label, to keep things covert), in a song he wrote called "Ghost Writer", but censors all the names to protect his interests. He ends the song with "Your favourite rappers songs...I put the flames in it\\keep fucking around and I'ma put this back out with your name in it" he did just that at a live show...

I think that ultimately music can never die, I mean as long as there's fans of the pure art form before it got so commercialized then it's alive, how can something that doesn't really exist be dead? The thing about music is it's more like, when you hear a song you like you feel like you're instantly on the same level as the person who wrote it you feel the song. Every generation says that music these days ain't what it used to be - it isn't, and music tomorrow won't be what it is today, but to say it's going downhill is an opinion and honestly, I just think people fear change and fear the unknown too much to let new music in...

/rant

I think that ultimately music can never die, I mean as long as there's fans of the pure art form before it got so commercialized then it's alive, how can something that doesn't really exist be dead? The thing about music is it's more like, when you hear a song you like you feel like you're instantly on the same level as the person who wrote it you feel the song. Every generation says that music these days ain't what it used to be - it isn't, and music tomorrow won't be what it is today, but to say it's going downhill is an opinion and honestly, I just think people fear change and fear the unknown too much to let new music in...

Music is never going to be how it was. It will always keep changing and different people will like it for different reasons. Music is whatever people want to listen to, so it is wrong to label certain music as "not music" because it is what some people call music. I think that this thread is about people sharing their tastes in music, so people should be sharing what they like to listen to, not what other people say is music. Not to get mad at you guys, but I personally like to get a mix of music and I feel that people aren't sharing what they like because they are worrying that they will anger you two by posting something that you don't like. (I know I did a bit)

I feel that people aren't sharing what they like because they are worrying that they will anger you two by posting something that you don't like. (I know I did a bit)

Don't be such a tool...if you have an opinion state it and if people disagree so be it. I don't like the most music you post. I'm sure the majority of the people here don't like the music I post but that never stopped me. I agree it's about sharing music but I see nothing wrong with discussing it...

One day... One day I'll listen to all of these.

Prodigy are overrated.

Prodigy used to be good their last album is disgraceful

Love this song, she writes very well but I can't stand a lot of the production

suppose I should add a song...

I love this song purely because of the context in which it was released - a British Asian just after the train bombs here and not long after 9/11

So I picked up a respectable post 911 magazine

It told me bout the new post 911 categories -

Israeli fighters are soldiers, Irish are paramilitary

- And darkie ones are terrorists - how simple can it be?

But not me my friends say riz is still one of us

But if I haven't shaved - they wont sit with me on the bus

This song is actually pretty good. I love Hayley Williams' voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-e6oS8lGMo

I'm liking this song as well. The rap sections are meh but the chorus is really good. It's techno done properly.

I'm also a fan of Eminem. His lyrics are well written and his songs are meaningful. Not the generic 'I am awesome rapper love me got loads of money and bitches, blah blah blah' that mainstream rappers seem to do.