supersoni183

Whre do I save the file

33 posts in this topic

Oh shit, another noob x.x

First of all, download WinRAR.

Then check where exactly did you install Steam?

First look in C:/Program Files/

Do you see a folder called Steam or Valve?

Oh shit, another noob x.x

First of all, download WinRAR.

Then check where exactly did you install Steam?

First look in C:/Program Files/

Do you see a folder called Steam or Valve?

OK I found it but It wont open in portal it needs to be a BMZ or something?

Plus it says that the is a .txt file called readme that i am not getting in the download

And calling me a n00b is hurtful.. JKrolleyes.gif

I've extracted the files to the folder I was told to (I had to invent the folder path for this user name, but ok). In Portal, I went to Bonus Maps - Import Bonus Maps, and it insisted on finding only .bmz zip files. I have no files with this extension on my computer.

So I found one with .bmd. Just to try, I labeled it .bmz, and loading it into Portal froze the computer so badly that I had to do a hard restart.

As far as I can tell, I'm following the directions. Could someone give me some pointers?

david rswaney at [yahoo].com

If you don't see it in Bonus Maps without importing, then you're not following the directions.

What do you mean "invent the folder path"?

Well then you did something wrong.

What folders do you have in Steam/steamapps?

I have two user names in the Steam folder. One is the original name that I don't use anymore. The other one is the Steam name that I play Portal on. I bought the Orange Box online, and the seller included his Steam login so that the serials would work for me. I now only sign in as him, but I could sign in as me, too.

I found the newer user name and created the final two Portal folders. I don't know why they weren't there. I assumed that if I assumed that if I signed in as "New", the maps needed to be under that user name.

I guess I'll copy them to the other user name when I get home and see if that works. Hmmm...

I have two user names in the Steam folder. One is the original name that I don't use anymore. The other one is the Steam name that I play Portal on. I bought the Orange Box online, and the seller included his Steam login so that the serials would work for me. I now only sign in as him, but I could sign in as me, too.

I found the newer user name and created the final two Portal folders. I don't know why they weren't there. I assumed that if I assumed that if I signed in as "New", the maps needed to be under that user name.

I guess I'll copy them to the other user name when I get home and see if that works. Hmmm...

so let me get this right you put the files in the

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\-the account name that you bought-\portal\portal\

folder right?

replacing folders that are needed?

because thats what i think you are saying you were going to try because that is what i believe you do

Well, almost. The thing is that there was no "Portal/Portal" ending to the folder tree, so I just made it. Therefore there was nothing to replace. I do see the original bonus maps, but the game must be looking at the other user.

I just now put the extracted files into Oldprofile/Portal/Portal, but the maps are still not showing. So neither username pathway worked. Eeesh.

What folders do you have in Steam/steamapps?

This is what I have after pulling the extracted folders from the samimnot1 profile to the flavord profile and allowing replacement. FlavorD is the old profile, samimnot1 is the one I use.

post-16715-125565434185.jpg

Well, almost. The thing is that there was no "Portal/Portal" ending to the folder tree, so I just made it. Therefore there was nothing to replace. I do see the original bonus maps, but the game must be looking at the other user.

I just now put the extracted files into Oldprofile/Portal/Portal, but the maps are still not showing. So neither username pathway worked. Eeesh.

holy crap on my new computer that happened

I say reinstall Portal (just remove the Portal folder from your username) and reinstall the mappack EXACTLY LIKE IT SAYS (according to my unserstanding, you did it right the first time). See how it goes after that.

I've put the folders into both user names Portal/Portal (my backslash key doesn't work), after moving all previous files to another staging point. I've rebooted Portal. I only have the Advanced and Challenge maps that you can easily find tutorials for on youtube.

I know this is supposed to be simple, but no matter which user name it's really using, this isn't working. I do thank you for trying so far, but does anyone have any other ideas?

Ok, the only thing I can think of is wrong extraction folder.

Steam/steamapps/samimnot/portal/portal/maps/portaltfv1.bsp

If that file is not there, you installed it wrong.

If it is, I have no idea.

so i didn't see a Portal/Portal until i played a few of the normal levels and when i went back it was there

I fully reinstalled Windows (for other reason), and I have moved your files into exactly the designated folders. Despite my real feelings, I'm almost inclined to call the people here liars, as moving the extracted files to the indicated folders does nothing for my Steam installed Portal game. There's nothing new under Bonus Maps.

I can't understand at all what is meant by the creators or supporters of this mod. If I'm wrong, I'll be very happy to be. I would very much like to play these levels, that's why I keep coming back. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Where do you get stuck, EXACTLY?

<folder containing Steam.exe>\steamapps\<your steam username>\portal\portal

Are you sure you are extracting the files from the .rar archive?

Don't be offended, just covering all the bases here.

Please say if this file exists.

Please say if this file exists.

That's not very helpful when it has YOUR username not his.

Actually, it has HIS username. I took it from one of his older posts. Sam I'm not not.

Edit: Whoops, it's actually samimnot1. He he. Doesn't change anything though.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who bothered with my trifling problem. I know I whined a good bit, but you were nice enough to try to help anyway. It seems that having only one user account installed was the trick. It also seems that somehow I had screwed up the folder path, like you said. I know it sounds obvious, but I had two discs with the same folder paths, which I forgot, and I guess I really was that tired.

I'm playing it now. This rules.

I don't know where else to put this even after looking around the forum: Is there any kind of walkthrough? I guess I suck, because I'm already stuck.