supersoni183

Whre do I save the file

33 posts in this topic

I don't know where else to put this even after looking around the forum: Is there any kind of walkthrough? I guess I suck, because I'm already stuck.

Well, yeah:

So I've run into a similar problem. I downloaded the file from here and opened up the Readme, which instructs me to save the file to Valve\Steam\steamapps\-youraccountname-\portal\portal. However, neither Program Files nor Program Files (x86) contains a folder called Valve, though the latter contain a folder called Steam. However, there are only two folders in Steam\steamapps: common and SourceMods; it also contains about 50 .gcf and .ncf files that appear to contain all of the contents of my various games. The former contains the following folders: call of duty modern warfare 2, left 4 dead, and left 4 dead 2. The latter contains only one folder: Research & Development (a mod I downloaded for Half-Life 2).

So I was wondering, where should I be extracting these four folders to?

Did you ever start up Portal? It should create the /steamapps/<username>/portal folder when you do.

If you have and you still do not see it, then you may have Steam installed twice and you're looking at the wrong installation. If that's the case then you're kind of on your own.

That's...actually a good question. I can't recall if I've launched Portal since the reformat...I'd assumed it would create any folders it would need upon installation. Having just launched it, it would seem I need to play through the campaign again anyway (I'm guessing my progress on the Advanced Chambers and Challenges was saved client side? a shame...). I'll post again if I still am running into a problem.

afaik you can play custom maps without finishing the game.