VerdeFlash

The Official BS Thread #3

1,609 posts in this topic

Well you're damn right about that, but can't it just die some other way? Pretty please?

Why does everyone hate CoD? I mean, it's over rated no doubt but it's not that bad. I've played far worse games... at least CoD can be fun - now I know that's an opinion but it's fast paced and full of action. I've never been a huge fan, I picked up Black Ops about a month ago to see what all the hype was about and I've had fun with it (although I get my ass handed to me most the time).

On a side note I just finished Arkham City. I advise you all to buy that game, sell vital organs if required. It's worth it. The story is amazing, I'm a Batman fan and I guess the interpretations of the characters are more interesting if that's the case but the game is solid no matter how you look at it. The combat would be repetitive if it wasn't for the wide range of fuckin' cool shit Batman carries around with him to spruce things up, but other than that it's quite hard to find criticisms. I think I'm going to go for 100%, which is rare for me.

I agree that CoD can be fun and when my friends convince me to play it I DO enjoy it. But the fucking idiocy of rewarding the experienced "pro" players and giving the newbies worse weapons is a clear signal of a broken game. I wouldn't have cared if this was reset after every match/map/server reset (and saved locally to each server, so there's seperation).... But being a PERMENANT advantage, is just plain bullshit. And as my friend put it (he was a fan up until recently: You have to be an asshole in order to win.

Whilst rewarding players with better guns may seem counter productive I ask you this: would you play a game that TOOK AWAY guns the more you played? Like I mentioned, I'm not very good...so I understand what you're saying but it doesn't shock me at all that that's how the game is structured. I seriously can't think of a single game (feel free to go looking...) that locks content rather than unlocks it.

As for the whole "you have to be an asshole to win" thing...yeah this is true. I was using Theatre Mode the other day and whilst looking through a game I played I noticed that you could follow anyone. Thinking that it'd help me play better and just out of curiosity I thought I'd watch the whole match from the top scorers perspective. Firstly kill streaks contributed to a large number of their kills, and secondly they sat behind a desk in the corner of a room for a very long time just staring at doors waiting for someone to run through. (edit: I should elaborate here, this is a fault in the people that play it really. Also, if you look around there's usually a way to circumvent this kinda play such as a window to throw a grenade through, a piece of equipment to help you or a wall you can shoot through).

But back to my original point: it has all these faults which are quite clear, yet Black Ops, MW2 and MW are the 2nd, 4th and 10th best selling games of the decade respectively. It's one of the best selling video game franchises of all time. It's known for breaking it's own sales records. Why? Because it's fun...numbers don't lie. That's not to say that commercial success equates to a good product but considering people collectively spent over a billion dollars in the first weeks of MW2 and Black Ops coming out combined they must be doing something right...and I think it's simply the games are fun.

Whilst rewarding players with better guns may seem counter productive I ask you this: would you play a game that TOOK AWAY guns the more you played? Like I mentioned, I'm not very good...so I understand what you're saying but it doesn't shock me at all that that's how the game is structured. I seriously can't think of a single game (feel free to go looking...) that locks content rather than unlocks it.

Definitely not where I was going. Weapons should either be available to all players from the start, or unlocked throughout a single match (or, say, every 10 matches) and then reset back again. For everyone. You gotta START fair, so that skill is really the only difference.

You know, this reminds me of a description of a bank that I saw somewhere in a comedy show:

"Hey, look at that guy! He has a lot of money. I should give him more money!

Oh, and look at that guy! He doesn't have any money! I should take some of his money that he doesn't have, and give it to the other guy who has a lot of money!"

On a completely unrelated subject, I am now addicted to ponies. I'm kind of late for the party but hey, the second season's just started!

If you haven't heard, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a cartoon show about cuddly magic ponies who learn about the magic of friendship. That description sounds totally gay, and that's completely intentional. The show is damn awesome, and the whole internet has become addicted to it. The reasoning is that the show is beautifully written, hilarious, with awesome characters and stories and animation and art and whatnot. Go watch the first episode. (And the one after that, and the one after that, and the one after that....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAM9C_Ik_QU

Edited by NeatNit

Just wanted to put in my five cents about these games, I find that personally I dislike the high-action guns blazing "call of duty" vibe that has recently plagued the series, as I firmly believe that one of my favorite first person shooters ever was CoD4, the first modern warfare. I liked it because the gameplay was more balanced, guns were more or less equals, and you didn't get really crazy awesome guns, well besides the p90 which was banned from a lot of the servers I played on.

I have though, loved the battlefield games from the start, because they were different. Their whole game style was focused on teamwork and cooperation. I find that is what is lacking from most modern games, but I remember having great times with friends, just by going through and using teamwork, and games tended to last much longer than 5 minutes or whatever the new call of duty games do.

I believe the way the games are focused builds the community, and while battlefield has focused on teamwork, call of duty has created a game where people feel like they need to get the highest score, the most kill streaks, and overall be the best.

I have though, loved the battlefield games from the start, because they were different. Their whole game style was focused on teamwork and cooperation. I find that is what is lacking from most modern games, but I remember having great times with friends, just by going through and using teamwork, and games tended to last much longer than 5 minutes or whatever the new call of duty games do.

My friend says this too, which makes me kind of want to get it, but I've never played a battlefield game (well, other than the iPhone version of BC2, doesn't count :P) so I don't feel like buying it... However, he'll buy it and probably let me play it, so that'll convince me :)

YEAH!!

I just got Left 4 Dead from the Great Gift Pile!!

I already have the game, so obviously I want to trade it. Who has an offer in return?

YEAH!!

I just got Left 4 Dead from the Great Gift Pile!!

I already have the game, so obviously I want to trade it. Who has an offer in return?

I have coal.

In all seriousness: I have 2 pieces of coal.

Happy holidays guys. I got the new Deus Ex, Crysis 2, a bunch of socks, chocolates, etc.

On the downside my laptop broke on xmas morning D: but t'is fixed already. I heard there's an error on the self service checkouts at a local super market and £35 headsets for Xbox's are scanning as £0.00 so I'm going to check that out! ;D

On a completely unrelated subject, I am not addicted to ponies.
A bit late for me to find that typo, isn't it? :(

I've been teaching myself C# and xna. Just finished my breakout clone I gave myself as a project. You guys have any ideas for a slightly more ambitious project?

You guys excited about the PeTI?

I haven't been here for a long while, how are you all?

Never heard of 'PeTI', and google brings up nothing... ?

Edit: Ah, silly me :)

You guys excited about the PeTI?

I haven't been here for a long while, how are you all?

Never heard of 'PeTI', and google brings up nothing... ?

Edit: Ah, silly me :)

Sorry for not making myself clear enough.

Anyway, here's my first serious map, if any of you want to test it out:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68608707

Do yourself a favor and subscribe to them ;)