Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frutiger

Portal TFV: Mac (issue)

20 posts in this topic

Loving the map pack so far! I'm in the part where you're crawling through a long portion of vents with views of a large boat with Aperture Science shipping crates loaded onto it. Unfortunately, right when I try to jump out of the vents and finally get out of the rat maze, Portal crashes. The suspense is killing me.

From reading the forums, I'm guessing the first thing you're going to say is that HL2 is required to play the Portal TFV map pack due to shared resources of some kind. I own a copy of HL2 on my Win 7 bootcamp partition, but as you may know HL2 isn't playable yet on my Mac yet. I know that I could just load the map pack on my Win7 partition and replay up to that point, but I was hoping to avoid that. Any chance you fellas might have some workaround for us Mac users until Valve releases HL2 for mac?

To be honest I have no idea, never had a Mac and I don't know how they work. I don't think it's my mappack fault.

I have a mac and have played though the entire map pack without problems although I was using crossover games. The only thing that I can think of is not having half life 2 installed which I do not believe is out for the mac version of steam yet. (which you already know)

Loving the map pack so far! I'm in the part where you're crawling through a long portion of vents with views of a large boat with Aperture Science shipping crates loaded onto it. Unfortunately, right when I try to jump out of the vents and finally get out of the rat maze, Portal crashes. The suspense is killing me.

From reading the forums, I'm guessing the first thing you're going to say is that HL2 is required to play the Portal TFV map pack due to shared resources of some kind. I own a copy of HL2 on my Win 7 bootcamp partition, but as you may know HL2 isn't playable yet on my Mac yet. I know that I could just load the map pack on my Win7 partition and replay up to that point, but I was hoping to avoid that. Any chance you fellas might have some workaround for us Mac users until Valve releases HL2 for mac?

You don't have to replay up to that point if it comes to it. Just copy the savegame files across.

You don't have to replay up to that point if it comes to it. Just copy the savegame files across.

There's a small chance Mac and Windows saves are not the same... :P

I'm having the exact same problem on my Mac. Portal crashes as soon as I fall down from this vent.

Could you please upload a savegame so I can continue to play on?

Can you guys try noclip around that area maybe? try to enter that room not from the vents? If it still do it I'll upload a save, just tell exactly from where.

Also if you could record a vid or take a pic of the area right before the it will be awesome.

Edit - Well I just replayed that part on my PC and didn't had any crashes so this is obviously not my fault here.

The crash occurs when I fall through the vent in mid-air.

Right at 1'32'' in this Walkthrough-Video:

Will try the "noclip" idea. First "sv_cheats 1 ", right?

"noclip" did it! I also couldn't reach the button in the room after the hallway. So you have to fly through a door that won't open because of the button.

The rest worked fine.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Still, all Mac users of your map pack will have the same problem in the future.

If I can do something please let me know.

I could give you logged data of the crash, for example.

You should contact Valve not me, there is nothing for me to do on my end, I checked that part and there isn't even a trigger there, its just a simple hole in a vent.

I just had a thought.

Could you try falling through there while holding the crouch button? If that's exactly whan you've been doing, could you try while not holding it?

It's a low chance, but the only way this crash is possible is some kind of bug in the engine.

It has nothing to do with a trigger or the vent. As soon as I try to access the hallway or the adjacent room (the one with the red button), the game crashes. It does not matter from which direction I enter. Both areas have a view to the "bay area", but are separated by a door.

My guess is that something from the "bay area" is the source of the problem. Like a light or something, I don't know.

Is there maybe something only viewable while you are in those areas? Because I can see the "bay area" with the ship and the trucks from the vent just fine. No crash there.

As far as I know Portal for Mac uses OpenGL. Can you switch in Windows also to OpenGL and see if you have the same problem?

I would understand if you don't want to adress this issue any further since a fix means probably a lot of work for you.

I will attach one of the crash logs in case somebody can use thishl2_osx_2010-05-18-184447_Viking.crash.txt.

By the way, I enjoyed your map pack a lot and was able to finish all of it!

A big thanks to the guys developing this!!!

Thread 10 Crashed:
0   steamclient.dylib             	0x2648506f google_breakpad::ExceptionHandler::UninstallHandler(bool) + 133
1   steamclient.dylib             	0x26485b4f google_breakpad::ExceptionHandler::WaitForMessage(void*) + 381
2   libSystem.B.dylib             	0x97ddfa19 _pthread_start + 345
3   libSystem.B.dylib             	0x97ddf89e thread_start + 34

/////////////////////////////

0x261d7000 - 0x26713fd3 +steamclient.dylib ??? (???) <74B8A016-1D2A-102E-01FC-5822DA455770> /Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32/steamclient.dylib

Thats where the crash is. That's totally Valve's fault.

Also it was just Hen who made the map pack, although Ido made the flash version originally.

Yep, same problem - Mac with Portal, crashing at the same point. Except, for me, even noclip doesn't help. Viking -- were you able to get past the crashing point via noclip?

Yup, don't enter the hallway beneath the vent or the following room (the one with the glass window). Since there is a button in this room that would open one of these "star trek doors" you have to use noclip through this door too.

I didn't encounter any more bugs and completed the rest of the game without a crash.

I continued after downloading and playing HL2 and it did not crash at that part, I will continue through and see if it crashes at all.