q00u

TFV without HL2 (on OSX)?

11 posts in this topic

I own Portal and HL2, and with the release of the mac versions, want to put TFV on as well. The problem is hard drive space. HL2 is 4762mb on the mac, which is a lot just to play a Portal mappack. Surely not all 4762mbs are used by TFV?

Is there a way to find out what resources are needed from HL2, and only taking those out of my HL2 installation? I have enough room to put HL2 on right now, but wouldn't want to keep it installed full time.

The other solutions mentioned (installing the HL2 Demo, or Lost Coast) won't work for me, as those haven't been ported to OSX yet.

Well, you could try installing it only temporarily... By the way don't forget to launch it once, or it won't help anything ;)

Are you saying that if I install HL2 and run it once, somehow the resources necessary for TFV MapPack will remain when I uninstall HL2? How.... could that possibly work?

I think he means install it, play the map pack, then uninstall it. People have looked for work arounds on these forums but to be honest the easiest way is to make room to install HL2.

I think he means install it, play the map pack, then uninstall it.
Yep ;)

I had wanted to leave it installed, so that I could show my friends when they visit. A lot of them picked up Portal when it was free, and I'm trying to convince everyone who did so to play TFV as well (it's the only mappack I recommend). This is why I'm trying to get it running on OSX (my media computer, in the living room on the big TV) when it would be easier to get it running on Windows (my bedroom computer) [although, THAT computer DOES have HL2 installed already].

I don't need to play TFV for myself, I already did that a long long time ago. It was excellent, which is why I want everyone to see it.

How about this: I know when a Source game is installed, there are a bunch of gigantic resource files. Is there one in particular that has the stuff that TFV needs? Because, I can just leave that in there when I uninstall the rest of HL2. I don't need to know the actual resources involved, I just want the 50 meg add-on to not turn into a 5 gig exercise.

Well I see your problem.

Generally, assuming there are no bugs, the only problem that could be caused by not having HL2 is some models in the game showing up as errors (which, I think, MAY be important in order to continue... not 100% sure though)

So you could try playing without HL2, and see how it goes.

There is a (supposedly unrelated) bug that causes it to crash at a specific point in the game.. I don't know if it was fixed, but it was an engine bug so it's Valve's fault :P

You could always try extracting the contents of the HL2 content GCF into the HL2 folder.

Then you can use this program to embed all the files that are needed into the maps themselves.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Pakrat

Then you could delete HL2 from your computer and the map-pack would work fine. But this way is a little convoluted and unless you know what you are doing I do not recommend it.

it's quite easy actually, I got it to work (I only have portal installed) by going into the map packs folder, going into the "maps" folder and copying all the files (not the folder) to portals maps folder, then going into the graphs folder and copying all those files to portals graphs folder, then I copied the rest of the folders (in the root of the map pack) to portals root folder.

so copy the files from the maps folder (not the folder that's inside) to: ~Documents/Steam Content/{yourusername}/portal/portal/maps

copy the files from the graphs folder to: ~Documents/Steam Content/{yourusername}/portal/portal/maps/graphs

copy the rest of the folders to: ~Documents/Steam Content/{yourusername}/portal/portal/

No offence, but that has nothing to do with the problem and makes very little sense anyway. I mean, if you "copy the rest of the folders", then why not just copy ALL of the folders from the beginning? I mean, that's exactly what you did with /maps and /graphs...