GoldenBuns

Mapping Stuff

31 posts in this topic

Hello

This is my first post. Seems like a nice community, so I thought I'd sign up. Anyway, I played the mod, loved it, scared the hell out of me, etc. I've decompiled some of the maps to see how they work, specifically the vent sequence where the vents appear to change and bend, because I have never seen anything like that in any mod before. I was just wondering if anyone could give some insight in how to do that, maybe a small tutorial, as I need to use a similar effect in one of my own projects.

Thanks for any help

I was poking through the decompiled map some more and I saw that the walls are func_wall_toggle entities. Looking on the VDC, it seems that these brushes are obsolete. The VDC says that you should use func_brush instead of func_wall_toggle. Is there any reason why these walls use the old entity?

I also made a test map with both entities, and they both provided exactly the same result: They disappeared when triggered.

Gist of it is that wall_toggle is simply quicker to use. Func_brush has a lot of options, but in this situation they're not needed, so it's faster to just use func_wall_toggle instead. The 'when you look away' part will be trigger_look entities.

I, too, was wondering how to do that. The other question I had was, how in the HELL did you make the door go FWOOOOM and shoot backwards down the hall? My buddy and I are interested in learning so that we can enhance our skill and literally warp the map around the player, rather than just create a maze with a rat (player) at one end and the cheese at the other.

I, too, was wondering how to do that. The other question I had was, how in the HELL did you make the door go FWOOOOM and shoot backwards down the hall? My buddy and I are interested in learning so that we can enhance our skill and literally warp the map around the player, rather than just create a maze with a rat (player) at one end and the cheese at the other.

Tracktrain, probably. The doors will have been parented to it. Player gets close (ie enters a trigger volume), scoot the entire wall back. A small FOV change was also done at that point (env_zoom); don't forget that. And the sound, obviously, which is just an ambient_generic.

Tracktrain, probably. The doors will have been parented to it. Player gets close (ie enters a trigger volume), scoot the entire wall back. A small FOV change was also done at that point (env_zoom); don't forget that. And the sound, obviously, which is just an ambient_generic.

Is something like that fairly easy to set up, or is it more complex than I'm envisioning when created in Hammer?

Sorry for the double-post, but I have another question: how did you create the map change points?

Like, for example...you're in the map for a chapter, or a level, and to keep it from getting too large, you have it move one step forward, to the next map. How do you code that? And when you create the transfer point (so to speak), you basically create a 'dead-end' area for the player to transfer in, right?

This is a very useful feature that I always wondered how to set up and would like to experiment with to create more than just one level in a world. Sorry if it seems like a n00bish question; I'm still in the early stages of designing my "course" and would like tips, tricks, and pointers, including the answer to this one. Any and all help is appreciated. :)

Sorry for the double-post, but I have another question: how did you create the map change points?

Like, for example...you're in the map for a chapter, or a level, and to keep it from getting too large, you have it move one step forward, to the next map. How do you code that? And when you create the transfer point (so to speak), you basically create a 'dead-end' area for the player to transfer in, right?

This is a very useful feature that I always wondered how to set up and would like to experiment with to create more than just one level in a world. Sorry if it seems like a n00bish question; I'm still in the early stages of designing my "course" and would like tips, tricks, and pointers, including the answer to this one. Any and all help is appreciated. smile.gif

Couldn't you just edit your last post on this thread? Double posting is a rule. You should try to avoid it.

I may compile some maps to see how they work, but wouldn't it have SOOOO MUCH ERRORS that you cannot even see how things work? That would suck. But it is still possible to compile them and look at them.

This is a very useful feature that I always wondered how to set up and would like to experiment with to create more than just one level in a world. Sorry if it seems like a n00bish question; I'm still in the early stages of designing my "course" and would like tips, tricks, and pointers, including the answer to this one. Any and all help is appreciated. smile.gif

Couldn't you just edit your last post on this thread? Double posting is a rule. You should try to avoid it.

I may compile some maps to see how they work, but wouldn't it have SOOOO MUCH ERRORS that you cannot even see how things work? That would suck. But it is still possible to compile them and look at them.

Sorry. Still a newbie...still learning.

Uhhhrm...you can compile (or decompile, depending on which way you're going) and then use some other kind of simulator to generate the original textures and props on its own. It is possible...but if I can get kind-of a step-by-step from the developers themselves I'm just as happy. Either way, it works. :)

Still wondering how to do it, but experimenting all-the-while.

You can look at the many many many many many tutorials out there.

Okay, I've got another question, but it may be somewhat obvious and stupid. There are portions in the game where zombies appear to be dead or sleeping. How would one configure that? Because when I set my zombie to "sleep" until the trigger is activated, he just isn't there. Then he suddenly and randomly spawns. So, to restate my question, how would I make it so that he gets up off the floor?

Somewhat unrelated question: is there any way to get rid of the headcrab he spawns with?

Anyone who can help me, thanks a million.

Somewhat unrelated question: is there any way to get rid of the headcrab he spawns with?

I think the zombies are coded. Thats why they probably don't have a headcrab.

I think the zombies are coded. Thats why they probably don't have a headcrab.

Alright...no biggie. You wouldn't happen to know how to get them to appear "dead" until triggered, would you?

Okay, I've got another question, but it may be somewhat obvious and stupid. There are portions in the game where zombies appear to be dead or sleeping. How would one configure that? Because when I set my zombie to "sleep" until the trigger is activated, he just isn't there. Then he suddenly and randomly spawns. So, to restate my question, how would I make it so that he gets up off the floor?

scripted_sequence with the sleeping animation, and changing on trigger, I guess...

for the headcrab you have to mess with the codes...

scripted_sequence with the sleeping animation, and changing on trigger, I guess...

for the headcrab you have to mess with the codes...

Thank you so very very much, sir. Hopefully this works for me. :)

1: Since when do you decompile maps other people made without even asking? (I know it's their own fault for not protecting them but still it's still fucking annoying)

2: If you're a mapper you should know there are a few ways to do the effect of changing walls and structures.

Decompiling maps is not illegal and is condoned if and only if the person who is decompiling the map is only either using it to learn how to map, is allowed by the creator of the map to use parts of it, or the original creator lost the map files. Copy pasting parts of maps is frowned upon in most if not all circumstances. Improper use of decompiling maps is solely based on the action of the person who is decompiling the maps. In many circumstances just contacting the creator of the map and if they allow it, using items from the map is okay if and only if the map creator condones the use of the objects in question and in most cases credits to the original creators must be given. Decompiling maps for educational use is fine. In the case that someone positively does not want someone to decompile the map they can be protected.

If you did not get the answers from that paragraph let me state it for you.

1) TheKyttin was obviously using it for educational reasons only.

2) It is often hard for beginners to find people to help them or good tutorials and many of the things that you might think are basic might not be obvious or come easily to others

I am ashamed that you would put beginner mappers down for no reason. It is better to kindly explain your reasons and give constructive criticism than to insult and belittle those trying to expand past what they currently know.

Decompiling maps is not illegal and is condoned if and only if the person who is decompiling the map is only either using it to learn how to map, is allowed by the creator of the map to use parts of it, or the original creator lost the map files. Copy pasting parts of maps is frowned upon in most if not all circumstances. Improper use of decompiling maps is solely based on the action of the person who is decompiling the maps. In many circumstances just contacting the creator of the map and if they allow it, using items from the map is okay if and only if the map creator condones the use of the objects in question and in most cases credits to the original creators must be given. Decompiling maps for educational use is fine. In the case that someone positively does not want someone to decompile the map they can be protected.

If you did not get the answers from that paragraph let me state it for you.

1) TheKyttin was obviously using it for educational reasons only.

2) It is often hard for beginners to find people to help them or good tutorials and many of the things that you might think are basic might not be obvious or come easily to others

I am ashamed that you would put beginner mappers down for no reason. It is better to kindly explain your reasons and give constructive criticism than to insult and belittle those trying to expand past what they currently know.

Ghost was the one talking about decompiling the map though. I've read other forums that have agreed that decompiling is frowned upon, but that it is "acceptable" to those using it as a self-help tutorial than to steal from it. I personally could never steal someone else's work; even as a high-school senior, I can't even copy my friends' homework.

iggle is an awesome name, by the way. :D

Another question, since my last one was answered (thanks again, ruanito): the doors. I use func_door_rotating, but I can't figure out how to get it not to spin on it's central axis. Even maneuvering the two blue balls around the map (and I've moved them EVERYWHERE), I can't seem to get it to work. Is there any way to utilize the func_door_rotating that is provided with Hammer, or is it easier to create my own custom door prop and label it func_door (and just let it slide sideways/up/down/however I want)?

I feel like I should be asking this on a Hammer forum, but it does say "Mapping" as the tag... :S