Ethan795

Shweeb

16 posts in this topic

So Google recently announced they're backing some projects that aim to change the world. One of them is based around eco friendly transport and it's just off the wall crazy.

I mean look at this thing...

It looks fun. It also looks like the love child of one of the tubes from Futurama, a bike and a monorail.

It does the job, I guess, but it's absolutely crazy. They want to implement them into cities (currently there's only 1 and it's in an adventure park) which $1,000,000 from Google is supposed to help do, although that doesn't seem like much when you think about what it is.

What do you guys think? Would you Shweeb to school or work in the morning?

Another thing I started to question: They claim that going faster than the person infront of you will lead to both your pods locking together and you go faster than possible on your own. I don't see how you're not simply going to go at your speed + their speed over 2?

I wish. Doubt it would catch on though. I'm sure there's already some sort of idea for this, but how does turning work? I mean, not everyone wants to go to the same place, and going in a circle won't help much. There needs to be a split in the rail. How will it work? And also, what's stopping someone from falling asleep inside one of these, either intentionally or by accident, and forcing everyone behind him to push him?

I don't see it happening, but I wish it would.

They only go to set stations but that can work...think of a train. Imagine a busy day, 100's of people using the line, one person not peddling isn't going to slow the chain down by much. As for turning, a simple a system where you lean to the side?

It relies on people to not be a dick about things which as a species we've got a pretty shitty record of which is why I think it won't work. If I was a hobo I'd live in one for example.

Also, anyone claustrophobic because it doesn't look very spacious in there.

About the slow-poke thing - did you ever notice how carrying someone on your own is not twice as hard as carrying that same thing with the help of someone else? I guess the same thing applies here, somehow.

They only go to set stations but that can work...think of a train. Imagine a busy day, 100's of people using the line, one person not peddling isn't going to slow the chain down by much.

Maybe not, but that's a bad example. Trains are controlled, if you don't go on the train it leaves without you. If you don't peddle the Shweeb, the person behind you would have to push you. A total jerk would just abuse this and never move a muscle.
As for turning, a simple a system where you lean to the side?
I don't see how leaning would affect the pod in any way (enough to make a difference), but the legs are peddling, so the hands probably aren't doing anything. I guess there could be some hand-controlled thingamabob.

I can't see this ever actually happening and I guess I was disappointed in the decision by Google to back such a crazy project.

Then again, $1m is nowhere near enough to impact projects for alternative fuels for modern cars, so I guess this way they make more of a visible impact.

They also get 25% of the company although they swear they'll put all future profits from it into alternative modes of personal transport (investing in the competition, kinda weird)

What if I don't want to go fast? what if my station is close and I want to stop but some idiot behind me keep pushing me?, unless there isn't any kind of a by-passing system it will cause more problems then solving.

what if my station is close and I want to stop but some idiot behind me keep pushing me?

Interesting thought. How about a turn off for stations? So you turn down a separate track and jump out, at which point someone else can take your pod? It needs a lot of thought.

Looks like a tram and a bus got freaky. That's twice in this thread I've made cross breading transport analogies...

I've never heard of that when you say you cycle over it what exactly do you mean?

Looks like a tram and a bus got freaky. That's twice in this thread I've made cross breading transport analogies...

I've never heard of that when you say you cycle over it what exactly do you mean?

It passes under several bridges, I cycle over one of those bridges.

It's basically a road designed exclusively for certain buses. The only traffic on it will be buses. The picture shows what seems to be a station. In the background you can see what the actual "tracks" look like.

Good idea, but for many reasons that have been stated above, it won't work.

UNLESS they have actually a solution for these problems and have merely not mentioned them in the video.