OZPruduction

Games discussion thread

52 posts in this topic

Well, I thought we should have a "Games discussion thread" as well as the Movies one.

Played the singleplayer of Medal of Honor, I can't believe that this game got that much of attention, because it sucks, really bad. The game isn't polished, it looks like crap. Seems as if 'Danger Close' destroyed DICE's engine, the animations were horrible, I'm so happy I didn't buy it.

Though the multiplayer was pretty fun in the beta, but as far as I know, DICE were in charge of the multiplayer, and 'Danger Close' were in charge for the single.

So now I'm hoping that Black Ops won't be such a disappointment:

Enjoy.

Fuck you Activision. I honestly wish I had pirated MW2. I'll not give you guys another penny.

Thank god for BulletStorm, a game that isn't another fucking brown shooter. >_>

Fuck you Activision. I honestly wish I had pirated MW2. I'll not give you guys another penny.

Thank god for BulletStorm, a game that isn't another fucking brown shooter. >_>

I totally agree, I posted in a "game you wish you never bought from steam" thread at facepunch, "Call of duty: Modern Warfare 2" and I got over 100 agrees.

And I also can't wait for bullet storm, looks awesome compared to the kind of one game shooter market we have today.

Well I continued playing MOH for a bit and it turned out okay, but that's it, it's just "okay".

The lighting is quite good, but I guess it's because of the Frostbite engine from Dice, which created Bad Company 2.

Also, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElAoXgGmKLs

The animations are so fucking smooth, this game looks fucking amazing.

What, do you want your games cartoony? It needs to be realistic! :P

As I always say, if you want a realistic first person shooter, then go find a gun, walk down the street, and shoot somebody. I feel like there are already too many games striving to be a perfect representation of real life, but the thing is there are so many games that are like that, it just seems passe. The good and popular games are always the ones that people know and love and only purchase because they fear that all their friends are going to leave the old games behind. Often though, the new games that are completely different from anything that has ever happened before, really stick to people, and then the companies either go off into the direction of making it more different than your generic game or try to sellout with the exact same shit over and over again. *cough* *Call of Duty* *cough* People need new things to play, not just be brainwashed into buying the same game, with better graphics (that my shitty computer can't even use) and has no better or even different play value than the game before.

Edit:

Just saw your smiley face so I'm not going to delete this rant cause I already wrote it, just lettin ya know.

I feel like there are already too many games striving to be a perfect representation of real life, but the thing is there are so many games that are like that, it just seems passe.

Too true. Somehow the most creative of all games markets has become casual gaming. Ah well, shit happens.

The fact that Black Ops looks so smooth and like a game makes it great. The fact that Medal of Honor looks so unsmooth and realistic makes it bad.

It seems amazing for a game to be with such smooth animations.

cartoonified
I didn't get to see the video you posted, and it's now been removed... Cartoonified? Really?

Too true. Somehow to most creative aspect of all games markets has become casual gaming. Ah well, shit happens.

I've said this before and I stand by it: CoD has turned so casual that it might as well be hosted by facebook. It's been simplified and dumbed down so that you can master it in about 2 hours. Its skill ceiling is so ridiculously low.It's designed to be easy to master so that it sells as many copies as possible. CoD2 was infinitely better when it came to seperating skill levels. CoD4 was more fun to play though.

Personally I like CSS and Q3A. The problem with QuakeLive is they keep adding shitty addons and weapons to the game that totally fuck up the balance. Minelayers are the dumbest fucking thing ever to be added to quake. The same thing goes with how the servers are setup. They cram as many people into one map as possible.

Nearly all multiplayer games do this now. Putting 12 players into Q3DM17 is the stupidest descision ever. It's a small and very open map, putting more than 4 players into it completely removes all skill from it. It's a spamfest which requires luck to get kills in. There are 5 gun spawns in Q3DM17, it takes 5 seconds for a gun to respawn. Nearly all of the action in that map happens next to the gun spawns. It takes a shitload of luck to get a gun in the first place, to have enough health to use it by the time you get it is damn near impossible.

A lot of CSS servers do that bullshit too. Why the fuck would you put 32 players into dust2? The only way to do well in a game like that is to camp in your spawn and let your team go out first, take half the health of your opponents off and then die. The reason I only really played competitive CSS is so that I could play matches where skill mattered. 5v5 requires tactics, skill and patience. It's not pot luck, it's not baiting and it's not camping.

Modern multiplayer games are a pile of shit. TF2 and L4D are some of the few games thats well thought out. It's no wonder so many people pirate games. It's just an unbalanced clusterfuck that gets a couple of new guns added every 6 months and then resold for £40. It's a fucking disgrace and anyone who actually thinks these games are worth the money is an idiot. It's no wonder indie games are doing so well recently. Minecraft has given gamers something new and enjoyable to play without charging inhuman ammounts of money for a few new textures, and without coating everything with bullshitty brown graphics.

I hope people can appreciate why I'm so pissed off at modern gaming. It's not about making a good game anymore, it's about selling as many copies as possible. Valve are the Disney Pixar of the games industry. Activision are like Dreamworks, they come up with something good every now and again but then they ruin it with millions of sequels and spinoffs. Tony Hawks Pro Skater, Call of Duty, Guitar Hero; how long must this go on for?

Too many games these days are trying to become realistic and gritty. Look how well that turned out for GTA4. It's a pile of shit to play, I've tried to enjoy it but I cant. Saints Row may be a rip off but I thoroughly enjoyed Saints Row 2. Why? Because Saints Row 2 focused on gameplay and fun rather than cliche'd catchphrases such as "cinematic", "gritty" or even "realistic". Saints Row 2 was a blast to play, the missions were fun and interesting. It's a lot more than I can say for GTA.

Many people think Valve's games are amazing because of all the extra content you get for free. I disagree, while the free DLC does contribute to the quality of the game, most people are drawn to Valve's games because they are different. Half-Life succeeded where other games failed at the time because it dared to have a story. It decided that shooting monsters for no apparent reason was boring and that it'd be much more interesting to have a deep and interesting plot. Then there's TF2. In an increasingly generic sea of brown multiplayer shooters Valve dared to put out a game with a unique stylized look and feel. They removed many features that modern games rely on, instant-kill weapons, grenades and iron-sights. TF2 has been a huge success because of this. The game was a fun new experience and its players were constantly being rewarded with new content without having to shell out £10 for a map copy and pasted from an earlier game.

Prehaps one day the market will be cleaned, the toilet of modern gaming flushed and the passion of gaming returned but I doubt that'll happen any time soon. Not while Activison are still holding onto the corpse of Call of Duty and certainly not while Microsoft own the rights to Halo. Maybe I'm wrong and Halo Reach will be the last Halo game but somehow I just don't see that happening.

Wake me up when the indies take over.

Too true. Somehow to most creative aspect of all games markets has become casual gaming. Ah well, shit happens.

I've said this before and I stand by it: CoD has turned so casual that it might as well be hosted by facebook. It's been simplified and dumbed down so that you can master it in about 2 hours. Its skill ceiling is so ridiculously low.It's designed to be easy to master so that it sells as many copies as possible. CoD2 was infinitely better when it came to seperating skill levels. CoD4 was more fun to play though.

Personally I like CSS and Q3A. The problem with QuakeLive is they keep adding shitty addons and weapons to the game that totally fuck up the balance. Minelayers are the dumbest fucking thing ever to be added to quake. The same thing goes with how the servers are setup. They cram as many people into one map as possible.

Nearly all multiplayer games do this now. Putting 12 players into Q3DM17 is the stupidest descision ever. It's a small and very open map, putting more than 4 players into it completely removes all skill from it. It's a spamfest which requires luck to get kills in. There are 5 gun spawns in Q3DM17, it takes 5 seconds for a gun to respawn. Nearly all of the action in that map happens next to the gun spawns. It takes a shitload of luck to get a gun in the first place, to have enough health to use it by the time you get it is damn near impossible.

A lot of CSS servers do that bullshit too. Why the fuck would you put 32 players into dust2? The only way to do well in a game like that is to camp in your spawn and let your team go out first, take half the health of your opponents off and then die. The reason I only really played competitive CSS is so that I could play matches where skill mattered. 5v5 requires tactics, skill and patience. It's not pot luck, it's not baiting and it's not camping.

Modern multiplayer games are a pile of shit. TF2 and L4D are some of the few games thats well thought out. It's no wonder so many people pirate games. It's just an unbalanced clusterfuck that gets a couple of new guns added every 6 months and then resold for £40. It's a fucking disgrace and anyone who actually thinks these games are worth the money is an idiot. It's no wonder indie games are doing so well recently. Minecraft has given gamers something new and enjoyable to play without charging inhuman ammounts of money for a few new textures, and without coating everything with bullshitty brown graphics.

I hope people can appreciate why I'm so pissed off at modern gaming. It's not about making a good game anymore, it's about selling as many copies as possible. Valve are the Disney Pixar of the games industry. Activision are like Dreamworks, they come up with something good every now and again but then they ruin it with millions of sequels and spinoffs. Tony Hawks Pro Skater, Call of Duty, Guitar Hero; how long must this go on for?

Too many games these days are trying to become realistic and gritty. Look how well that turned out for GTA4. It's a pile of shit to play, I've tried to enjoy it but I cant. Saints Row may be a rip off but I thoroughly enjoyed Saints Row 2. Why? Because Saints Row 2 focused on gameplay and fun rather than cliche'd catchphrases such as "cinematic", "gritty" or even "realistic". Saints Row 2 was a blast to play, the missions were fun and interesting. It's a lot more than I can say for GTA.

Many people think Valve's games are amazing because of all the extra content you get for free. I disagree, while the free DLC does contribute to the quality of the game, most people are drawn to Valve's games because they are different. Half-Life succeeded where other games failed at the time because it dared to have a story. It decided that shooting monsters for no apparent reason was boring and that it'd be much more interesting to have a deep and interesting plot. Then there's TF2. In an increasingly generic sea of brown multiplayer shooters Valve dared to put out a game with a unique stylized look and feel. They removed many features that modern games rely on, instant-kill weapons, grenades and iron-sights. TF2 has been a huge success because of this. The game was a fun new experience and its players were constantly being rewarded with new content without having to shell out £10 for a map copy and pasted from an earlier game.

Prehaps one day the market will be cleaned, the toilet of modern gaming flushed and the passion of gaming returned but I doubt that'll happen any time soon. Not while Activison are still holding onto the corpse of Call of Duty and certainly not while Microsoft own the rights to Halo. Maybe I'm wrong and Halo Reach will be the last Halo game but somehow I just don't see that happening.

That must be the biggest post ever in this forum... Without pictures, I mean.

I'm not sure exactly how this applies to the conversation, but it's worth mentioning that CoD:MW2, along with a few other CoDs, have become casual games these days.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but when every other teenage girl has played it regularly, it's saying something.

That must be the biggest post ever in this forum... Without pictures, I mean.

Dude, you fucking deserve a ban.

@Nit: I thought you meant "cartoonified" style, but you didn't watch it. Well I don't know how to exactly name the graphics in Black Ops, except from "great", we'll just have to wait and see.

Also I heard that someone leaked it to the Xbox.

Edit:

WHY THE -REP? I just heard someone leaked it. Thanks alot, now my rep is 5.

VerdeFlash: I've already said that it's casual. I'd rate you clocks if this were FP.

OZPruductions: It's not ban worthy, you're just picking on him because it's usually you.

VerdeFlash: I've already said that it's casual. I'd rate you clocks if this were FP.

OZPruductions: It's not ban worthy, you're just picking on him because it's usually you.

I find this insulting. And I think this isn't the right thread to talk about this situation. If you want to ask me something about it I suggest the BS thread.

Edit:

What the fuck with the -rep, come on.

Final off topic post, at least from me:

What does rate me clocks mean?

In facepunch you can rate posts. The icon for "Late" is a clock. Rating someone clocks means rating them as late, or what they post as old.

So...games that run on Ubuntu? I'm running a low spec laptop (not on it atm but will post the exact spec later).

I'm just getting the hang of using the terminal and Wine so don't be shocked if I can't get them to work :P

I have no idea, but if you don't know there's this website that tells you on each game if your computer can run it ("Can You RUN It?").

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

Ubuntu != Windows. That site is not going to be of any use when it comes to using wine.

@Ethan

There's a thread for linux games over here: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?998898-Linux-Games

And there's a list of programs here and how well they run on wine: http://appdb.winehq.org/

Compiz (the default window manager for Ubuntu) hurts the FPS of a lot of games running under wine. Metacity is a better alternative but it doesn't have all the fancy effects compiz has.

introversion.co.uk

Other than Multiwinia, all their games work on Wine natively ;)

So I got a beta invite to a website that's trialling...cloud gaming, I guess is the best way to describe it. Basically, you view a video stream of a game being played in real time and you have control...essentially, it just removes the system requirements or more accurately makes the only requirement a half decent internet connection. I don't have a good enough connection, or perhaps I'm just too far away from them (they suggested either may be the problem).

Click here to play instead of me, it's 90 mins of Mass Effect 2 I believe.

Let me know how it works...if it works well, surely this is the future of PC gaming? I mean, it removes the need to constantly upgrade your computer.