Builderboy2005

Nightmare: Emergence

34 posts in this topic

I just realized I haven't updated this thread in a while! I thought it would be appropriate with the new updates that were just released. I have been working steadily (if slowly) on this, and there have been quite a few upgrades to the engine, as well as more content in the game itself. The engine now supports limited soft shadows, multiple static light sources, dynamic soundscapes, and constant upgrades to the scripting engine! The gameplay itself has seen several new areas added on, as well as several new enemies that have recently brought online.

For those of you who have played Nightmare Emergence before, the newest content can be seen my pressing L+6 while ingame, which will jump you to the beginning of the new areas. For those of you who don't have Java working, or your computer refuses to cooperate with you, I have a small screenie as well:

Mrrrrr.jpg

As always you can visit the game via the link in the first post, or if you are too lazy you can check it out Here

Sorry, when I was playing I wasn't really thinking about that. I don't remember any point where I thought "this totally shouldn't be here" or anything like that. One part I especially liked was, well, I don't remember exactly what happened, but after a short while I was teleported back to just a few moments ago. This gave me a really awesome creepy feeling, especially since after I went the same way again, some things were different :)

One flaw I should note: gun behavior is weird. Bad weird. It shoots to where your mouse is - which is invisible, and if the mouse happens to be close to the player, it will shoot in a direction completely different from the flashlight. And it's impossible to predict where. Either add a crosshair, or (IMO the better option) make it shoot in a direction fixed to the flashlight direction. Also I wonder if you can prevent the mouse from exiting the game area?

I just can't tell you how AWESOME this game is. You're clearly on the right track, I want to see more of this! :)

Ah you are talking about the short experience with the Grim :proud: I'm glad you enjoyed that part! It was one of the more complicated scripted sequences, and just recently added too! Also, it seems there have been some issues with getting the custom cursor to work, there *was* supposed to be a custom cross-hair cursor for you to aim at, and I'm sure that would have made things a bit easier! I have updated the code and re-uploaded the applet, the cursor should be enabled now. If it still isn't working, try pressing Escape to visit the main menu, then go back to the game.

Also I originally had the gun shoot in the same direction as the flashlight was facing, but I found it was actually harder to aim this way because of the fact that the gun and the flashlight were not in the same location, so in order to aim at an enemy, you had to look towards a location to the left of him. By making the gun shoot towards the mouse, it makes it much easier to aim at locations (Except, you know, when the custom cursor script fails!)

I think the gun shouldn't aim parallel to the flashlight, but instead just a little bit towards it... But, heck, this way is fine too! Probably even better :)

Another update! A couple new areas were added, for those of you who have been playing along, press L and 8 to jump to the new areas. Not completely finished, as much of the finishing details still need to be added, but hopefully workable ^^ Working on a brand new enemy as well that should hopefully be pretty terrifying :)