akmshooter

Manifest file error in NH2

18 posts in this topic

Can someone help me? I downloaded epidode 2 and installed Source SDK Base 2006 and Source SDK Base 2007. I then downloaded NH2 as an exe. file from this website. I restarted my steam and clicked play.

Then the screen shows an eye blinking and then a blurry picture of a hall saying loading. After a few seconds, it takes me back to my home saying this. "Unable to load surface prop file 'Scripts/Surfaceproperties-ep2.txt' (referenced by manifest file 'scripts/surfaceproperties_manifest.txt')

Can anyone help me? Thanks.

As I replied to your PM, just try starting a new game of EP2 and after the game starts and you can move, you can quit and try playing NH2.

To answer your new PM, let me make things clearer. You need to own the game Episode Two on your Steam account, and have it installed and start the game at least once in order to play Nightmare House 2. If you don't have it, you'll have to buy it. Sorry. :)

Hello,

i have exactly the same issue with the game. I tried all the things you said and it still doesn't work. i own a steam copy of hl2 ep 2 i started a new game etc but it still be impossible to start the game.

i tried to find the Scripts/Surfaceproperties-ep2.txt but it doesn't exist in the hl2 ep2 files. I reinstal hl2 ep2, no change. I have already download all the sdk things like it said in some topics.

I don't know what to do to run it properly and i really want to play this game looks amazing.

So if someone could help me..

I am having the same issue. I have literally tried EVERYTHING. I have all the required games and have started them, played them, validated the files, searched the internet to no end, and changed the game info file a hundred times (exaggerating, but not much) as I was informed to do, and nothing. I have done a lot of work on my own to try and fix Nightmare House 2, but I am at my wits end. Nothing I do or am informed to do works, and that is an absolute shame because Nightmare House 2 is my favorite horror mod. Now I can't play it, and I can find no help whatsoever on how to fix it. If anyone could give me a clue, I really would be in very appreciative.

I have the same issue, i tried to fix it in different ways, like:

Pasting all ep2's core files to the mod directory using GCFscape. Result: Perfect launch, but crashes in the very first chapter once you get a gun for the first time.

Pasting all ep2's core files to the same directory the pak formats were in "the more *efficient* format conversion". Result: No change afterwards, but i forgot it were in the directory "Common files" so i tried something else.

Pasting all ep2's core files to the ep2 directory in the account folder. Result: no change, still crashing.

This is really troublesome, i miss playing the game, ALLOT!

All of that because of some shity update.. Valve apparently change the name of a .txt file and the mod can't work because of that..

But what is freakin me out is the fact that nobody here give a sh*t about that.

Is that to difficult to make an update to solve this issue? 

it's your game not ours..

so it would be very nice if you could do something about that issue.

The update a while ago broke EVERY SINGLE HL2 MOD. You need to get rid of everything in NH2's gameinfo and replace it with:

"GameInfo"
{
	// This is what shows up in the 'Third Party Games' area of the Steam games list.
	game						"Nightmare House 2"
	icon						"resource/nh2"
	title						"Nightmare House 2"
	developer					"Hen Mazolski"
	developer_url					"http://wecreatestuff.com"
	type						singleplayer_only

FileSystem
	{
		SteamAppId				218 	// GCF for Source SDK Base
		AdditionalContentId			420	// EP2 content
		ToolsAppId				211	// Tools will load this (ie: source SDK caches) to get things like materials\debug, materials\editor, etc.

//
		// The code that loads this file automatically does a few things here:
		//
		// 1. For each "Game" search path, it adds a "GameBin" path, in <dir>\bin
		// 2. For each "Game" search path, it adds another "Game" path in front of it with _<langage> at the end.
		//    For example: c:\hl2\cstrike on a french machine would get a c:\hl2\cstrike_french path added to it.
		// 3. For the first "Game" search path, it adds a search path called "MOD".
		// 4. For the first "Game" search path, it adds a search path called "DEFAULT_WRITE_PATH".
		//

//
		// Search paths are relative to the base directory, which is where hl2.exe is found.
		//
		// |gameinfo_path| points at the directory where gameinfo.txt is.
		// We always want to mount that directory relative to gameinfo.txt, so
		// people can mount stuff in c:\mymod, and the main game resources are in
		// someplace like c:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\half-life 2.
		//
		SearchPaths
                    {
                            game+mod                        |gameinfo_path|.
                            platform                        |gameinfo_path|.

game_lv                         hl2/hl2_lv.vpk
                            game+mod                        ep2/ep2_english.vpk
                            game+mod                        ep2/ep2_pak.vpk
                            game                            |all_source_engine_paths|episodic/ep1_english.vpk
                            game                            |all_source_engine_paths|episodic/ep1_pak.vpk
                            game                            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_english.vpk
                            game                            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_pak.vpk
                            game                            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_textures.vpk
                            game                            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_sound_vo_english.vpk
                            game                            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_sound_misc.vpk
                            game                            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_misc.vpk
                            platform                        |all_source_engine_paths|platform/platform_misc.vpk

mod+mod_write+default_write_path                |gameinfo_path|.

game+game_write                 |gameinfo_path|.

gamebin                         episodic/bin

game                            |all_source_engine_paths|episodic
                            game                            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2
                            platform                        |all_source_engine_paths|platform
                    }
            }
}

If it doesn't work, then I don't know what will.

The update a while ago broke EVERY SINGLE HL2 MOD. You need to get rid of everything in NH2's gameinfo and replace it with:

"GameInfo"
{
	// This is what shows up in the 'Third Party Games' area of the Steam games list.
	icon						"resource/nh2"

FileSystem
	{
		ToolsAppId				211	// Tools will load this (ie: source SDK caches) to get things like materials\debug, materials\editor, etc.

//
		//
		// 2. For each "Game" search path, it adds another "Game" path in front of it with _<langage> at the end.
		//    For example: c:\hl2\cstrike on a french machine would get a c:\hl2\cstrike_french path added to it.
		// 4. For the first "Game" search path, it adds a search path called "DEFAULT_WRITE_PATH".
		//

//
		// Search paths are relative to the base directory, which is where hl2.exe is found.
		//
		//
		SearchPaths
                    {

game                            |all_source_engine_paths|episodic/ep1_english.vpk
                            game                            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_sound_vo_english.vpk
                            platform                        |all_source_engine_paths|platform/platform_misc.vpk

}
            }
}

Didn't work for me, tried doing all the usual suspects again (redownloading everything, running the necessary games) as well along with this. Still nothing, same problems. Thanks though, maybe I did something wrong and it will work from someone else.

"GameInfo"
{
	icon						"resource/nh2"

FileSystem
	{

//
		//
		//

//
		//
		//
		SearchPaths
                    {

}
            }
}

Apparently i did not get it to work :/

Frick. We need developer support here.

Indeed, I have literally tried everything with this game, and I can't get it to do anything. I sure hope we can get some help soon. This is my favorite Half Life 2 mod

Found a fix for this problem: "Unable to load surface prop file 'Scripts/Surfaceproperties-ep2.txt' (referenced by manifest file 'scripts/surfaceproperties_manifest.txt') Do this:
1. Download the latest version of gcfscape (I use V1.8.5) from: 
http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=26

2. Open the tool and go to File -> Open. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\ep2.
Open ep2_pak_dir.vpk and the folder script

3. Drag surfaceproperties_ep2.txt into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\NH2\scripts

Now try to start the game, it works for me but I can´t guarantee that this fix will work for you. I have those games/tools installed:

I only think you need: Half Life 2: Episode Two and the free tool Source SDK Base 2007 which can be downloaded thoue steam.

- Half Life 2

- Half Life 2: Episode One

- Half Life 2: Episode Two

- Source SDK

- Source SDK Base 2006

- Source SDK Base 2007

- Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer

If you have missing materials when you start the game then try this workaround:

start gcfscape again and open the same file as before

According to my console some particles and sounds are missing therefor we will drag 4 folders into nh2:

- materials

- models

- sound

- particles

IMPORTANT: DO NOT OVERWRITE ANY FILE

My game crashes to desktop when you first get the pistol and also at the end :(
I havent solved the second crash but I modified gameinfo.txt like this:

"GameInfo"
{

game "Nightmare House 2"
icon "resource/nh2"
title "Nightmare House 2"
developer "Hen Mazolski"
developer_url "http://wecreatestuff.com"
type singleplayer_only

hidden_maps
{
"test_speakers" 1
"test_hardware" 1
}

FileSystem
{
SteamAppId 218
ToolsAppId 211 // Source SDK
AdditionalContentId 420 // Half-Life 2: Episode Two

// SteamAppId 218 // Source SDK Base 2007

SearchPaths
{
Game |gameinfo_path|.
Game sourcetest
Game hl2
Game ep1
Game ep2
Game episodic
}
}
}

That seem to solve the first crash but not the second.

I don´t know much about the gameinfo file so i won´t take any responsability that this will work for you.

If anybody finds a solution to the second crash the please reply so everyone on this forum can play =)

Found a fix for this problem: "Unable to load surface prop file 'Scripts/Surfaceproperties-ep2.txt' (referenced by manifest file 'scripts/surfaceproperties_manifest.txt') Do this:

1. Download the latest version of gcfscape (I use V1.8.5) from: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=26

2. Open the tool and go to File -> Open. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\ep2.

3. Drag surfaceproperties_ep2.txt into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods\NH2\scripts

Now try to start the game, it works for me but I can´t guarantee that this fix will work for you. I have those games/tools installed:

I only think you need: Half Life 2: Episode Two and the free tool Source SDK Base 2007 which can be downloaded thoue steam.

- Half Life 2

- Source SDK

- Source SDK Base 2006

- Source SDK Base 2007

According to my console some particles and sounds are missing therefor we will drag 4 folders into nh2:

- materials

- models

- sound

- particles

"GameInfo"
{

game "Nightmare House 2"
icon "resource/nh2"
developer "Hen Mazolski"
type singleplayer_only

hidden_maps
{
"test_speakers" 1
"test_hardware" 1
}

FileSystem
{
SteamAppId 218

SearchPaths
{
Game |gameinfo_path|.
Game sourcetest
Game hl2
Game ep1
Game ep2
Game episodic
}
}
}

I don´t know much about the gameinfo file so i won´t take any responsability that this will work for you.

If anybody finds a solution to the second crash the please reply so everyone on this forum can play =)

Already done man, you won't get it to work no matter what. :/

1. Download the latest version of gcfscape (I use V1.8.5) from: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=26

- Half Life 2

- Source SDK

- Source SDK Base 2006

- Source SDK Base 2007

- materials

- models

- sound

- particles

"GameInfo"
{

game "Nightmare House 2"
icon "resource/nh2"
developer "Hen Mazolski"
type singleplayer_only

hidden_maps
{
"test_speakers" 1
"test_hardware" 1
}

FileSystem
{
SteamAppId 218

SearchPaths
{
Game |gameinfo_path|.
Game sourcetest
Game hl2
Game ep1
Game ep2
Game episodic
}
}
}

I can confirm that the above 3 steps at the beginning works. I kept getting error message after just starting the game. It now works by copying the file described. Very simple. Thanks!

- Half Life 2

- Source SDK

- Source SDK Base 2006

- Source SDK Base 2007

- materials

- models

- sound

- particles

"GameInfo"
{

game "Nightmare House 2"
icon "resource/nh2"
developer "Hen Mazolski"
type singleplayer_only

hidden_maps
{
"test_speakers" 1
"test_hardware" 1
}

FileSystem
{
SteamAppId 218

SearchPaths
{
Game |gameinfo_path|.
Game sourcetest
Game hl2
Game ep1
Game ep2
Game episodic
}
}
}

I can confirm that the above 3 steps at the beginning works. I kept getting error message after just starting the game. It now works by copying the file described. Very simple. Thanks!

I´m glad it helped you, what are those kind of errors you get ?

I´m geting errors in the console. Some of them say this:

No caption found for 'default.scraperough'
No caption found for 'flesh.scraperough'
scenes/Expressions/citizen_normal_idle_01.vcd missing from scenes.image
Updating physics on object in hierarchy prop_vehicle_prisoner_pod!

Do any of you know what this is about ?

Just before the second crash it prints out this:
"Updating physics on object in hierarchy prop_vehicle_prisoner_pod!"
I have no idea it that is the problem =(

- Half Life 2

- Source SDK

- Source SDK Base 2006

- Source SDK Base 2007

- materials

- models

- sound

- particles

"GameInfo"
{

game "Nightmare House 2"
icon "resource/nh2"
developer "Hen Mazolski"
type singleplayer_only

hidden_maps
{
"test_speakers" 1
"test_hardware" 1
}

FileSystem
{
SteamAppId 218

SearchPaths
{
Game |gameinfo_path|.
Game sourcetest
Game hl2
Game ep1
Game ep2
Game episodic
}
}
}

I´m glad it helped you, what are those kind of errors you get ?

I´m geting errors in the console. Some of them say this:

No caption found for 'default.scraperough'
No caption found for 'flesh.scraperough'
scenes/Expressions/citizen_normal_idle_01.vcd missing from scenes.image
Updating physics on object in hierarchy prop_vehicle_prisoner_pod!

Do any of you know what this is about ?

Just before the second crash it prints out this:
"Updating physics on object in hierarchy prop_vehicle_prisoner_pod!"
I have no idea it that is the problem =(

The second crash can be solved by copying the scripts/vehicles folder to NH2 from ep2_pak_dir.vpk

Finnaly solved those errors and crashes, read my guide here:

http://forums.wecreatestuff.com/index.php?/topic/76873-guide-to-solve-problems-in-nightmare-house-2/