Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JasonTaylor

UNDERHELL = Full Game?

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

Mxthe, I was thinking, since your going through all this trouble to build us the perfect mod why not use UDK and make Underhell into a full game.

Originnally, I was going to develop a mod for HL2, but then I realized I should make a game instead. I looked up game engine that are useable and when I found a SDK for Unreal Engine 3 I was exstaticed ! You have the characters and the story. All you need to do is do a bit of custom coding and viola! You have a game! Sure you may need to buy a comercial license to release the game, but you can hold a donation. You can still make the game free too, if that is what you would like.

It's just a thought. It worked for me so I figured I would share it with you. I would be glad to answer any question you have on UDK or if you need any help on it.

- Jason Taylor

So you think that, I can use all these models and content made by VALVE, and other people from the community, and just make the code and sell it ?

Do you have any idea how SUED I would get by doing that? Not to mention how everyone would spit at my face for selling content that I didn't make.

The only reason this is a mod and not a game, is because I am using content from an already made game (Half Life 2), so I can focus on more important things.

I don't think UDK comes for free with enough content for anyone to create a game, UDK is just the engine, people have to make their own models and textures, which is fair.

But remaking Underhell from scratch, would require an AAA team.

Adding the fact that Mxthe is the only original developer, and the only developer left, along with his programmer and progsys

Remaking it in UDK will tkae.... say another 10-20 years, if you are happy with that

Adding the fact that Mxthe is the only original developer, and the only developer left, along with his programmer and progsys

Remaking it in UDK will tkae.... say another 10-20 years, if you are happy with that

Oh god no! I've waited long enough for Underhell. I don't think I could take news. I'm almost 99% sure it would kill me.

Ok wait a minute. I did not mention at all about using VALVE maybe content. If you do you will obviously have to sell the deed to your house and then some.

I only started this post as a n idea in case you WOULD HAVE LIKED to do this. Just a simple suggestion!

As I mentioned before you must purchase a license but you are able to use everything except for skeletal meshes.

I just wanted to bring this to your attention. Look into it if yoou would like.

Now I am actually sorry for posting this as it made everyone lash out at each other.

Oh and by the way a AAA is not needed I am one man and am creating a game using UDK : Custom Code, Meshes, Weapons , Encviornments , etc.

Plus you create custom assets now anyway. You only use some HL2 made things.

Sorry for posting this thread. I apologize.

I am also sorry for sharing this and making you mad. I really am. I know you are stressed as could be making Chapter 1. I had no right to share this with you now.

My Apologies.

Sincerely,

Jason Taylor

I wasn't mad, I was just surprised you would think that just a few people could make a game this size, by making 100% of the content themselves, in less than 2 years.

Maybe it's because you have no idea how big this is...

Anyways good luck with your game.

I won't go as far as saying I don't like Unreal Engine, but I do prefer source.

Source just "feels" right, it's hard to describe...The way the player movement feels and the way I can interact with physics and stand on boxes ect...

I just know what to expect in source, it's like I "feel" the environment because it feels intuitive to me.

I don't know any other engine that has that feel...

Yeah I feel that way about Unreal.

I just felt something wasnt right in source for me so a went with Unreal.

If Source works for you then do not change.

I wish you the best of luck and I am highly anticipating Chapter 1 of this wonderful mod.

Here's to Underhell. May it live forever!

- Jason Taylor