NoriMori

Portal: TFV MapPack Mod problem

4 posts in this topic

I just downloaded this mod and put it where the description says to put it (~/steam/steamapps/sourcemods/), and it now shows up on Steam, and starts launching when I click "Play". So far so good. But once I get past the Valve logo screen and the "powered by source" screen, it freezes, and I get an error message that says, "Can't find background image 'materials/console/background01_widescreen.vtf'", and when I click "OK" the game quits. I checked and this file isn't in the mod folders anywhere, so I don't know why it's looking for it (you'd think it would be in the folders if it were so important, or everybody would be complaining about not being able to launch it!), or how I'm supposed to fix this. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

The new SteamPipe update breaks most Portal mods. To fix this error: locate the gameinfo.txt inside your mod folder and paste this over everything past FileSystem:

FileSystem

{
                SteamAppId                              400

SearchPaths
                {
                        game+mod                        |gameinfo_path|.
                        platform                        |gameinfo_path|.

// We search VPK files before ordinary folders, because most files will be found in
                        // VPK and we can avoid making thousands of file system calls to attempt to open files
                        // in folders where they don't exist.  (Searching a VPK is much faster than making an operating
                        // system call.)
                        game_lv                         portal/portal_lv.vpk
                        game+mod                        portal/portal_english.vpk
                        game+mod                        portal/portal_pak.vpk
                        game                            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_textures.vpk
                        game                            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_sound_vo_english.vpk
                        game                            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_sound_misc.vpk
                        game                            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2/hl2_misc.vpk
                        platform                        |all_source_engine_paths|platform/platform_misc.vpk

// Now search loose files.  We'll set the directory containing the gameinfo.txt file
                        // as the first "mod" search path (after any user customizations).  This is also the one
                        // that's used when writing to the "mod" path.
                        mod+mod_write+default_write_path        |gameinfo_path|.

// Add the mod directory as a game search path.  This is also where where writes
                        // to the "game" path go.
                        game+game_write                 |gameinfo_path|.

// Where the game's binaries are
                        gamebin                         portal/bin

// Last, mount in shared Portal loose files
                        game                            |all_source_engine_paths|portal

// Last, mount in shared HL2 loose files
                        game                            |all_source_engine_paths|hl2
                        platform                        |all_source_engine_paths|platform

}
        }
}

This fixes the background error. But, unfortunately, another error is present. When the game attempts to load, the game crashes and this error appears:

"17/door_right_a00 - func_door: UTIL_SetModel: not precached: *1"

This also happens to Portal: Unity. I do not know the fix to this. Most likely, we have to wait for the mod teams to fix it.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much!

Oh yeah, I got an error, although mine said:

Engine Error

71/brush_clock_centiseconds_cell - func_brush:  UTIL_SetModel:  not precached: *10

So I still can't play the mod?? D:

I guess I'll have to post another thread…hopefully someone else knows…

Regardless of the fact that I still can't play the game, I'm very grateful for your help. ^^