gamerfly101

NH2 problems

9 posts in this topic

Ive been wanting to play NH2 again (ive played it a long time ago and loved it) i came back to it. It shows the startup video then after it starts loading then IMMEDIATLY closes and pops up an error saying Unable to load surface prop file 'scripts/surfaceproperties_ep2.txt' (referenced by manifest file 'scripts/surfaceproperties_manifest.txt')

And before anyone says 

Yes i have half life 2 ep 2  installed and all of the source sdk's

Yes ive reinstalled NH2, HL2 EP 2,SOURCE SDK 2006,AND 7

So yeah anybody else have this problem?

I have the exact same problem on XP Home SP3 and I sure hope someone can help. I used to run this mod, but then had to reinstall Windows (I did it properly after using DBan to "sterilize" the hard drive). I have Steam installed on E drive, but the installer detected the location and installed NH2 where it was supposed to go.97c5.png

If you can't help me run the mod, tell me how to completely uninstall it, please!

I think I've discovered something. I searched the whole Steam folder and no file exists by this name: surfaceproperties_ep2.txt

Apparently an update (to Half-Life 2 Episode 2) has changed the files and names thereof so the manifest file no longer links to the correct file(name).

If I (we) can discover what the new file name is, the file can probably be edited to reference the correct file, but I'm no programmer, nor am I extremely computer literate (completely self-taught), so any help an expert can give would certainly be welcomed by me.

I have the same problem: I installed Half Life: Episode 2 and SDK 2007, and when I try to start NH 2, It shows the intro, and shortly after that it crashes to desktop with the error message gamerfly101 already mentioned.

I have found a solution! Okay so go to C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Half Life 2/hl2/scripts then look for surfaceproperties_hl2 Copy this, then paste it into /SteamApps/sourcemods/NH2/scripts. Look for it again in the NH2/scripts folder, then rename it to surfaceproperties_ep2 even though there still is error messages inside of the game (you know the purple crap that pops up indicating a missing texture), you're good to go! I'll repost when I find out how to get rid of all the error things. 

I have found a solution! Okay so go to C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Half Life 2/hl2/scripts then look for surfaceproperties_hl2 Copy this, then paste it into /SteamApps/sourcemods/NH2/scripts. Look for it again in the NH2/scripts folder, then rename it to surfaceproperties_ep2 even though there still is error messages inside of the game (you know the purple crap that pops up indicating a missing texture), you're good to go! I'll repost when I find out how to get rid of all the error things. 

I've got that far, but I don't really wanna play with all tose texture errors.

Thanks anyway. I hope that you can find out more.

I used your idea and it work, except for the purple walls and error signs. Will reinstalling it help? because I might have to just do the same thing again anyway