ZeLzStorm

[Spoilers] Chapter 1 Theories Discussion:

99 posts in this topic

Welcome everyone, 

Since chapter one is now out. I think it's time to talk about a few theories that people are having.

Don't forget to use the Spoilers Tag!

The House:

Frank / Jake's Parents:

Frank: Frank is Jake's Swat Commander, (And his guardian / foster parent. - This is know from the dreams Jake experiences.)

Jakes Prologue Dream's sequences:

Tom Hawkfield = TH, Frank = F

TH:"Frank, please. Take good care of him. He...He's my son."

F:"You never told me you had a son before."

TH:"That's because I don't. Not anymore."

F:What? Jesus Christ, Tom! What the hell have you been working on down there?"

TH:"There was...an incident. And Jake barely made it alive."

F:"So, what should we tell him? When he wakes up."

TH:"I won't be here when he wakes up. That's why I need you."

F:"Where are you going?"

TH:"I have to go back or they'll know it was me."

F:"I don't understand. What if something happens? How do I contact you?"

TH:"You can't. This is the last time you'll ever see me."

TH: "Thank you, Frank. For everything. Treat him like your own son."

F:"I will."

The Well / Angelo:

Angelo: Angelo is the npc inside the well. Angelo was working for a unknown company and has been assigned to watch Jake's house. As we find out his operation went bad and ended up with him being stuck down in the well with his other *dead* colleagues. (Thompson and Jenkins)

Tapes inside the Well and Angelo:

Tape 1:

He says in Tape 1:"I need to stay focused and report my discoveries and everything I find. I need to...I need to keep a log, a journal, something to stay sane. Something to think about and keep track of. All this... This can't be a coincidence. It has to mean something. If it doesn't mean anything then, why would I still be alive? What's the purpose of all this? What is this place? Where am I? We had one simple job. Everything was going according to plan, but... But then...Did he do it? No... No, it couldn't have been him. It couldn't have been him, why would he betray us? Did he need a scapegoat? Some tools to just use and throw away? Thompson...Jenkins...Those poor bastards... I just...I wish things could have been different. I found some medical supplies around these old tunnels. I would have bled out without them. My nervous system must have...shut down from all the wounds. I...I can't feel anything. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. But... From what I can see on my body with the dim light in here... I don't think I want to feel. How am I even alive? I was shot and burned! But I...I feel good...given the circumstances... I feel okay. I still haven't explored it all. I need to explore the tunnels and I need to stay organized. I need to stay...focused. My name is Angelo. And sooner or later, I'm going to get out of here."

Tape 1 Discussion:

So from this tape we learn that Angelo, Thompson and Jenkins were betrayed by someone. This can beg the question, Who? But in my opinion. It cannot be Jake. As they were sent on surveillance to watch him and his wife. Furthermore. How is he alive?

Tape 2:

Unfortunatly Angelo talks a lot about his past in Tape 2 as talks about a pack of audio cassettes he found near the tape recorder. "I'm trying to take it slow. I'm very hurt. My feet are burned, they're so badly burned I can't stand. There's not enough flesh on them...I think I can see the... I think I can see the bones. I'm having trouble breathing from the chest wound. I think if the bullet had hit any organs I would be dead by now. But...breathing is extremely difficult. Dextrocardia is such a rare condition. They used to call me a freak. Who would have thought it would end up saving my life. I'm no doctor, but...surviving two fatal bullet wounds is nothing short of a miracle. But surviving a fire and being thrown into a ten foot fall drop along with two corpses... That's just impossible." Afterwards he continues to talk about the well and questions his whereabouts.

Tape 2 Discussion:

So, from this tape we learn that Angelo has Dextrocardia, this is where his heart is placed further right inside his chest rather than normal. He was also shot with two bullets, burnt then thrown down the well. Which is a 10 foot drop. along with Thompson and Jenkins. This can lead to believe that the bullets missed his heart. This meant he was able to survive the gunshots. (If they were aimed at his heart.)

Tape 3:

Throughout Tape 3, Angelo begins to talk about his body's physical condition as he begins to 'rot'. Furthermore we find out his situation regarding food. "God...the stench...I can't. I can't. I just don't... At first it smelled like death. It smelled like rot. But now it smells like...It smells like meat! It smells like...Something I could... I'm hungry. I'm just hungry...I need to find something to eat. I need my strength, I need to eat...I... No! No, What am I thinking? I can't do that! Dammit Angie think! Think! Just...there's other options! I need to finish exploring this place. I need to make a map. I need to find supplies. I need food. I need a light source. Something! I've got plenty of water. I have...I have plenty of water.  Oh...but I'm so hungry. The only other source of light I can think of would be to... Make a fire... No...I...I can't. I can't...I just can't... I don't want to, I can't. How could I?"

Tape 3 Discussion:

Clearly now we see how desperate Angelo has become for food eating his friends.

Tape 4:

Now we find that Angelo has eaten parts of his friends... Furthermore we discover more of his background and how he got his assignment from someone. "I never would have thought that it tasted like that. It tastes so...normal. Most if it just tastes burnt but... I can still detect the actual taste. And it's, It's not as bad as I thought it would be, it's like...raw pork... I should have...tried it earlier. Counting the day cycles by looking outside the tunnel, I was able to count six days. I've been here six days. Just now I ate. It's felt like an eternity." Later on in the tape we learn of his assignment. "I should have never accepted this assignment. I should have never done this. Surveillance he said. Just...report the activities. I should have known sooner or later... He would cross the line. This whole thing wouldn't have stayed under wraps for so long." There is more to the tape but it's talking about his physical condition.

Tape 4 Discussion:

So, Angelo finally became a cannibal. as he ate Jenkins. Furthermore we find out the activities of his assignment. "Surveillance he said. Just...report the activities. He would cross the line. This whole thing wouldn't have stayed under wraps for so long." However we are still waiting to learn who set them the task.

Tape 5:

Tape 5 begins with Angelo talking about his physical condition again as he reminds himself and wishes he ate his friends earlier. "That's it. The last bite. I can't eat anymore. The moment's passed. I need to find something else to eat." - "One of my fingers fell off. It didn't even bleed, it was already dry. It was just dead. My body is dying. I can't feel a thing, I can't see a thing. All I can do is just smell. Smell myself rot. I'm starting to... I'm starting to smell like Thompson...and I'm not sure that's a good thing. I wish I started eating on the first day. I wouldn't have been hungry for so long. Now it seems like such a waste...but...but back then... Back then, I would've never thought I could go so far. Before all this happened. I would've never believed I could survive something like this. That I could... That I could do this. I still can't believe it."

Tape 5 Discussion:

Tape 5. Tape 5 is the last time we hear about Angelo's physical condition. and how bad it is for him. Moreover, we learn about how he feels about his food and eating his friends.

Tape 6:

Finally, the last tape. Which includes more background story to his 'employers', furthermore how long he has been inside the well. "All this time I didn't know it. I've been here for nearly a month. Eating my dead partners and all the rats I could find. All this time... All this time the answer...the answer was right in front of me. This...this isn't an ordinary house. He...He was no ordinary target. And our employer. Our employer was no ordinary contractor. He's a demon. A monster. He lurks within the shadows. But every time the light reaches him, he transforms into the savior, into the leader and the trustworthy. And in all this madness, in all these astronomical odds, it had to be them. Everything and everyone involved. They're...They're part of something... Much bigger than they realize. Thompson had this...page, hidden in his leather wallet. A real leather wallet, bull skin, tough as a rock. It survived the flames. Now...Now I understand. We were not the only ones looking after them. There was someone else. He doubled crossed us...or... Or maybe his employers did? Or maybe they didn't even know each other? I don't know. I don't care! Whatever the reason, whatever the cause! Before my dying heart stops beating! Before I rot into a pile of dirt! I'll find him! I'll eat him alive! I'll eat all of them! And I'll make them all watch me do it! *long pause* I'm sorry. We were mislead. We were lied to. We had no idea. We just had no idea...we didn't know... Sometimes...innocent people are hurt... Innocent people get caught up in the crossfire. Sometimes there's collateral damage. I hope he can forgive me. I hope she can forgive me."

Tape 6 Discussion:

This is the last tape Angelo made.This tape gives the most information on what he feels about his contractor. As well as talking about his assignment. "This...this isn't an ordinary house. He...He was no ordinary target. And our employer. Our employer was no ordinary contractor." In my opinion the 'target' was Jake as we learn that it was his house being watched. This leads me to believe that Angelo's contractor was FRANK or at least his attempted murderer along with Jake. The reason for the is that, Jake works for Frank. Frank works for *unknown* But as Angelo says he was "no ordinary contractor."  Angelo also says in Tape 1: But then...Did he do it? No. No, it couldn't have been him. It couldn't have been him, why would he betray us?. Tape 2: Angelo says"surviving two fatal bullet wounds is nothing short of a miracle. But surviving a fire and being thrown into a ten foot fall drop along with two corpses... That's just impossible." Tape 4: "I should have never accepted this assignment. - He would cross the line. This whole thing wouldn't have stayed under wraps for so long."

Conclusion:

Lastly I am led to believe that Frank tried to kill Angelo andThompson and Jenkins. The last reason for this is from THIS picture. %5Burl="http://imgur.com/AFw7IgU"]http://imgur.com/AFw7IgU[/url] If you notice, Frank has a silenced pistol next to the well with a fire as well. This could mean that Frank was behind it all. The picture was from the main menu's screen. (Just wait for it to cycle through the pictures.)

Some interesting theories there - one thing that I think is really important is that

Jake's wife died a month before the prologue. If Angelo has been down there for more than a month, than there's no way it's not connected. Is it possible Frank is involved in her death? These guys for sure, especially with the secret entrance into the garage. Either she discovered them and then they killed her (and then as you theorised Frank killed them) or Frank did them all in, or perhaps someone else. if nothing else it would certainly explain Angelo talking about collateral damage and apologising to 'her'

Some interesting theories there - one thing that I think is really important is that

Jake's wife died a month before the prologue. If Angelo has been down there for more than a month, than there's no way it's not connected. Is it possible Frank is involved in her death? These guys for sure, especially with the secret entrance into the garage. Either she discovered them and then they killed her (and then as you theorised Frank killed them) or Frank did them all in, or perhaps someone else. if nothing else it would certainly explain Angelo talking about collateral damage and apologising to 'her'

It could be that they spoke to her before.

Check her diary, she talks about two men asking questions.

And that Angelo's involvement in the intro

(If you look at the menu pics, it comes before her death. If they went in time order. Them together - people talking - franks gun - her death.)

While we talk about theories, here is my theory as to why Frank might be Matt's mentor

I written this in another thread, about discussions

There's a very huge spoiler

During exploring the well I remembered a picture from The Prologue background memories. Is Frank involved in what happend with Angelo? MPeu5Wuc3TI.jpg

Yes! It was no doubt Frank is

the one who got rid of Angelo, Thompson and Jenkins.

Frank seemed to ALWAYS had an eye out for Jake

And based on that preliminary finding where Frank holds silenced gun and shovel, while standing near the burning pile of woods, I believe that Frank is not just a simple SWAT Commander

Remember what Matthew said about his mentor?

"I actually never thought that I would miss his voice, how he always used to say 'Hah, you hooligan'."

That's exactly what Frank says to Jake if he goes assaulting hospital, all alone, without giving a GO command to his squad mates

Here's a few other theories I've cooked up:

1. The Real Emily has lost her paranormal hold by Underhell's events. She grants Jake's Wife her alternate form and paranormal powers, and is influencing the conflict between Jake and his deceased wife behind the scenes. This is supported since Jake's Wife's alternate form actually is Emily's model, and she scares Jake in a similar way Emily does to the PC in NH2.

Ben and Terry might still be alive. You would be suprised with what plot armor can do. Also, Igor is out to stop Jake from escaping, and thus leaving Ben and Terry to their buisness.

The House is set after Underhell's plot. The House is in its starting state when Underhell begins; when Jake comes back from resolving whatever was going on in Underhell's plot, he does the rest of the House's activites. Thus, Jake's Wife will not be killed/neutralized in Underhell's plot; instead, she can only die in the House reality, if at all.

4. There is another thing stalking the woods. All Angelo does is stumble towards you; there is another thing in the woods that is actually invisible and can appear in front of you for a split second at night.

5. Jake is a special infected, explaining his immunity. He was officially infected in the prologue and because an augmented human; further infection would have no effect on him.

6. As an alternate take on Theory 3, Underhell's plot may be just a hallucination. The House is the true reality.

Matt's Superior

Matt makes a reference to his superior by imitating Frank's accent and saying "Hah, you Hooligan!"

My personal view on Jake

Jake is a clone of the original Jake, who became the Guilt due to the genetic modification from his father. When Tom Hawkfield gave Jake to Frank, notice how he says that he doesn't have a son any more. While he may just be dramatic, the implication remains.

The House is set after Underhell's plot. The House is in its starting state when Underhell begins; when Jake comes back from resolving whatever was going on in Underhell's plot, he does the rest of the House's activites. Thus, Jake's Wife will not be killed/neutralized in Underhell's plot; instead, she can only die in the House reality, if at all.

It's kind of hard to tell when exactly the House events take place during the timeline.  One thing I noticed after completing the main plot of Chapter 1 though.  If you look at Jake in the mirror after he gets shot in the head, he has a new scar on his head that he doesn't have before completing Chapter 1.  Now, obviously, Jake didn't really have an opportunity to return to the House physically at any point in Chapter 1 or the Prologue.  So unless he does so sometime after escaping the interrogation room at the beginning of Chapter 2, I believe that the House either takes place in his head or some kind of alternate reality (and from what we know of Jake so far, I believe it's the former.

Just a note that I believe Mxthe has said that NH and Undehell's plots are completelty unrelated, Jake's doctor being called Romero was more of a nod to the series than anything. Emily and Jake's wife just share a 3D model.

Personally, I believe the house is a mix of both. What Jake is seeing IS actually there, but he himself is not there for one reason - his Van is gone and as far as the plot goes he doesn't actually return home once he leaves for the prologue chapter. It's possible it's part of his trance or hallucinations that's allowing him to solve the house's mysteries without physically being there.

4. There is another thing stalking the woods. All Angelo does is stumble towards you; there is another thing in the woods that is actually invisible and can appear in front of you for a split second at night.

I was actually shining my flashlight around out there, and I saw the shadow of the thing, then the sun came up, the thing appeared there for a second, and disappeared. I got a pretty good look at it, it was the guilt monster.

What if, In Jakes anguished state (due to his wife's death) he is using his "powers" to keep his wife from passing on to the afterlife. She isn't happy about it and is haunting him. 

Or it could just be his imagination and his brain is creating snippets of memories of her because he misses her so much.

I don't know why they consider Jake "special", the only power he seems to have is immunity from the virus. The only reason anyone would spy on Jake is because he knew something before he lost his memory because of some incident. (implied in the diary)

Angelo said that there was also someone else spying on Jake, and I don't think Jake's wife would be capable of killing people. (at least before her death)
Its was made pretty clear that Angelo was not alive, I think he was infected, but he retained some sanity for some time at least.

How did Jake and Brian escape? Seems to me they were completely screwed at the end.
How did the virus spread elsewhere? There was a whole army guarding that base, also, it was in the middle of a desert. It also exploded (it that part was real).

The ending was especially bizarre, nobody seemed to care about global zombie apocalypse and continued shooting. Perhaps the people are already infected and there was nothing to be done and Jake is the only one who can help make an antidote. That would explain why they were casually gassing people to death, it was already too late.

I don't know why they consider Jake "special", the only power he seems to have is immunity from the virus. The only reason anyone would spy on Jake is because he knew something before he lost his memory because of some incident. (implied in the diary)

Angelo said that there was also someone else spying on Jake, and I don't think Jake's wife would be capable of killing people. (at least before her death)

Its was made pretty clear that Angelo was not alive, I think he was infected, but he retained some sanity for some time at least.

How did Jake and Brian escape? Seems to me they were completely screwed at the end.

How did the virus spread elsewhere? There was a whole army guarding that base, also, it was in the middle of a desert. It also exploded (it that part was real).

The ending was especially bizarre, nobody seemed to care about global zombie apocalypse and continued shooting. Perhaps the people are already infected and there was nothing to be done and Jake is the only one who can help make an antidote. That would explain why they were casually gassing people to death, it was already too late.

I believe Jake is special because of his ability to switch between the two alternate timelines: The House and the plot.

I believe the infection evolved, and allowed Angelo to retain his sense of self. Other infected are animals, with a few displaying some small hints of sentience (the butchers.) Due to other theories here, Frank was probably spying on Jake.

Jake and Bryan likely escape by being taken prisoner. The virus probably escaped because the military is incompetent.

At the ending, the city is probably facing destruction, so the military is shooting everyone because they want to cap Jake personally to make sure he's dead and then presumably nuke the city. Since we don't know anything about how the rest of the world by Chapter 2, the zombie apocalypse could be more widespread than just the city.

But why would they want him dead when the entire world / city is going to hell?

It's known that Michael wants him nice and secure somewhere so he can get whatever special thing Jake has. The PMC probably doesn't want Michael getting it, so they decide to shoot Jake

I don't know why they consider Jake "special", the only power he seems to have is immunity from the virus.

That's the reason they are after Jake, since he is immune to the virus, he also has the cure for it.

That place wasn't the only top secret base. There was another one right under the city. Presumably the one Jake entered. That facility had that chamber where people were exposed to the virus. It might have leaked and lead to the apocalypse that we all know and love.

Not really a spoiler, since this is just background detail, But did any1 notice this in the "gas journal room"

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=181800278

Also, 

there is a guy (just a creepy black shadow) behind the door with all the static and lights (to the left of the journal). If you walk into it instead of the journal Micheal ask you somethng along the lines of "Who's behind the door Jake?"

Then you wake up into the interrogation room, and if you tried it again Micheal block it and say "We don't have time for this Jake."

Maybe they are Jake's clone? Angelo's sightly more fortunate buddies? Jake 1.0? Or just Jake's even angrier ex, and wants more $$ every month :proud: ? 

Not really a spoiler, since this is just background detail, But did any1 notice this in the "gas journal room"

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=181800278

Also, 

there is a guy (just a creepy black shadow) behind the door with all the static and lights (to the left of the journal). If you walk into it instead of the journal Micheal ask you somethng along the lines of "Who's behind the door Jake?"

Then you wake up into the interrogation room, and if you tried it again Micheal block it and say "We don't have time for this Jake."

Maybe they are Jake's clone? Angelo's sightly more fortunate buddies? Jake 1.0? Or just Jake's even angrier ex, and wants more $$ every month :proud: ? 

I'm pretty sure it's Guilt

I've got a question. I couldn't find anywhere else to ask, so since this seemed the closest, I'll ask here,

What happened at the end!? Was the prison fake? Were your friends fake? Or were they all real but since the jeep crashed, you got taken away and put in the police station? When I think about this, it MUST of happened, because the infected got spread to the city, and... umm... what's his name.... the Japanese or Chinese guy was there in the police station.

I've got a question. I couldn't find anywhere else to ask, so since this seemed the closest, I'll ask here,

What happened at the end!? Was the prison fake? Were your friends fake? Or were they all real but since the jeep crashed, you got taken away and put in the police station? When I think about this, it MUST of happened, because the infected got spread to the city, and... umm... what's his name.... the Japanese or Chinese guy was there in the police station.

I asked about, and this is what I could figure:

Everything up to Jake getting shot in the face was real. Jake and Bryan were sent to Michael by unknown means. I've seen someone claim that you can see Bryan escaping as you leave the interrogation room. Presumably, Michael or Ito messed up and the Infection is getting out of hand.

One of the interrogators mention that the events Jake experiene in ch1 toke place over a week, hasn't being send to a prison in Arizona. Whether it means he never being there or it means he's just reliving the past in the interrogation, I'm not sure.

But I'm certain that those people real and events, just the details are blurry.

One member even suggest that Jake never being to the prison, just hear of it and project his memory into that place.

My take is that Jake actually worked/visit the prison before the prologue. Because NO WAY, will any prison guard armed a prisoner with a weapon *and* let him run wild. Frank saved him after he got shot in the head. Hence the opening line in the prologue :Jake, can you hear me? Hang in there. I'm gonna take care of you, buddy. You're gonna be alright.

I asked about, and this is what I could figure:

Everything up to Jake getting shot in the face was real. Jake and Bryan were sent to Michael by unknown means. I've seen someone claim that you can see Bryan escaping as you leave the interrogation room. Presumably, Michael or Ito messed up and the Infection is getting out of hand.

Everything is real. When Jake getting shot in the face he's been coma for 10 or 15 hours and The Prison are Real. After He's get shot , It's all fantasy. As you can see Bryan is escaping the police station and Takeo/Raito Helping him.