Donut

Chapter 2. Your storyline expectations?

37 posts in this topic

I expect to:

-Find Terry, The survivors you rescued, Ben, and possibly the Hermit in the police station or some other police station as well, since they said that they stormed the facility with SWAT.

-Find out why and how you're seeing Her now.

-Kill the other terrorist leader. Not Ito because he is too main to be killed right now.

-See more to the story.

-Find Frank...

I'm adding two more expectations:

• so basically, it would be very nice of "Her" to make a REAL appearance. You know, the actual ghost of "Her", not some evil monster from Jake's subconscious (I'm taking The House appearances as delusions too, cause Jake wakes up every time "She" catches him). We already know how Jake is scared of "Her", probably being afraid that She's extremely angry at him and wants to kill Jake. Now, it would be nice to know if Jake has a point with his "predictions". If you ask me, I hope not.
  • it would be really nice (in my opinion at least) to finally know "Her" name. Seriously, how long we're supposed to call her "She" or "Her"? :P Moreover, she's not some secret agent or something, as her name is surely well known to Jake, Jessica, Mia, Josh etc.

Personally, I was surprised Chapter 1 was a complete story, and huge to boot. I thought, being a free mod and all, once they mentioned the main generator (and even that took longer to get to than I thought), it would have that giant fight to shut it down then abruptly end there. But that was only a quarter of the game!

Honestly, I'm a bit skeptical the devs can keep it up. It would be absolutely phenomenal for chapter 2 to be 15 + hours long, but damn is that crazy work!

Personally, I was surprised Chapter 1 was a complete story, and huge to boot. I thought, being a free mod and all, once they mentioned the main generator (and even that took longer to get to than I thought), it would have that giant fight to shut it down then abruptly end there. But that was only a quarter of the game!

Honestly, I'm a bit skeptical the devs can keep it up. It would be absolutely phenomenal for chapter 2 to be 15 + hours long, but damn is that crazy work!

I thought that the game was going to end when Ito shows up to gas you.

The devs can probably keep going to get the SDK13 port out, at least, and probably to Ch2. Further chapters are slightly questionable...assuming 2 years a chapter + 1 year for the port, that would make the full release in 2023. Long time.

Don't count those two years

Chapter 1 was actually ready sometime in summer 2011. But it looked pretty raw, in terms of gaming mechanics. In addition the amount of bugs and etc has been enormous

Basically, it took about 3 month to make chapter 1, several month to program the game mechanics, a lot of time to fix the bugs and the rest were changes

Since core gameplay mechanics exist now, it will be much faster to do other things. Modeling, animations, voice acting and the bugs exploring, as Mxthe is pretty experienced to find their core cause.

Chapter 2 might be released in two years on average, I agree. But it's development will be waaay shorter.

By the end of 2013, Mxthe has finished his work on Insurgency, next things are, porting Chapter 1 to SDK 2013. Then making a standalone version. Making everything (except gameplay) from very scratch.

Chapter 1 standalone might see its light at the end of 2014.

After all, anything standalone has less bugs and its way easier to work with them

What I am trying to say, is that development of chapter 2 itself, won't be as long as chapter 1 took

Mxthe has many years of experience now.

Now he got a bigger team as well. PROgrammer, modelers, artists and etc

(Expect chapter 2 waiting trailer of some kind :P )

I'm probably more excited for standalone Steam version than chapter 2 at this point. Cause damn to I want to play again, but I refuse to until it's out on steam!

Also how easy it will be to get my friends to pick it up now. I might even say it was a top GOTY year for 2014 just because of the steam release :P

I just finished this mod yesterday, and I was absolutely impressed.  Aside from some performance issues here and there (like the harrier sequence and whenever a horde started chasing me), I had a lot of fun playing this mod.  I'm okay with just about all of the Chapter Two suggestions and expectations in this thread, but what I'm really looking forward to is a tie-in with Nightmare House.  After thorough research, I'm very sad to say that the timelines between Nightmare House and Underhell do not match up.  In Nightmare House, everyone (barring the Patient) in Never Lose Hope Hospital is killed due to a malfunction with Dr. George Romero's mind control machine, the Core, on July 21, 2013.  In Underhell, Jake Hawkfield visited NLH Hospital and Dr. Romero for blood work (which came back as inconclusive) sometime in August of 2013, one month after the horrific incident occurs in Nightmare House.  However, the reason why he needed blood work is never explicitly stated (as far as I can remember), which leads me to believe that Jake may, at some point between July 21st and August 14th, stumbled upon the ruined NLH Hospital for whatever reason. 

My theory is that, through the power of the Core, Jake was drawn into the building and experimented on.  He was implanted with memories and images of the hospital being in a normal state and him going through some simple blood tests.  Whatever Dr. Romero experimented on him with is ambiguous, but it may have something to do with Her death and why he's seeing hallucinations of Her and the Guilt and why they appear to be physical manifestations starting in Chapter Two.  He may have also encountered Emily while he was in the hospital, which could be why the hallucinations of Her look so similar to our favorite eye-less, backwards-whispering ghost lady.

Because of all of these things, maybe we'll see something happen to Jake on October 14, 2013, which is the date when the Patient teams up with Emily to destroy the Core and kill Dr. Romero.  I'm a big fan of Nightmare House and I'm a sudden, new fan of Underhell.  So I'm very hopeful to see these two games mix, especially when there have been so many NH references in Underhell thus far.  Mxthe, if you're still glancing at this thread in your spare time, I'd love to hear what you think about my theory.

Her powers in the plot might be weakened, but she is still clearly powerful in the House. Also, we don't know exactly what relation the House has to Underhell's main world; it could be a dreamworld Jake goes to when he gets knocked out, or it could be a pocket dimension that Jake can access and his wife lives in. This is what I'm thinking:

1. Jake is hallucinating his wife and the guilt monster Dead Space style. Raito was doing all the work, and all the things that can't be explained (such as, if this is true, Raito lifting Jake in the air for a few seconds before throwing him out.) were just hallucinations. Jake is also the only person who can see his wife and Guilt.

2. Jake's Wife found a way to get into the main world and escape the pocket dimension. Her powers in the main world are weaker and work less often compared to her pocket dimension powers. She also strategically places herself and Guilt about to mark safety and danger, respectfully.

Boldfaced section is easily my favorite idea in this whole thread.  More choices presented to us where we can choose to follow Her to safety or find out what dangers lurk behind the corner that the Guilt is standing by.

Man, I have to dissapoint you. Nightmare House have NOTHING to do with Underhell. All NH references are easter eggs.

Well, a guy can dream, right?

And I'm still convinced that something is going to happen if Underhell's timeline makes it to October 14, 2013.  If they share the same universe, and both involve all sorts of hallucinations, paranormal activity, zombies of varying kinds, that's gotta mean something. 

Somewhere, they said that NH and UH just share the same universe. Not the same story. So I don't think your theory is correct. Better stick to what the game itself has.

Well, a guy can dream, right?

And I'm still convinced that something is going to happen if Underhell's timeline makes it to October 14, 2013.  If they share the same universe, and both involve all sorts of hallucinations, paranormal activity, zombies of varying kinds, that's gotta mean something. 

Somewhere, they said that NH and UH just share the same universe. Not the same story. So I don't think your theory is correct. Better stick to what the game itself has.

Here's a better idea, to justify why NH2 stuff will not show up in Underhell other than Easter Eggs: NH2 is an alternate universe.

According to Frank in the Prologue, Alpha Squad (those swat guys in NH2) were already sent to the hospital. Since the hospital is just outside the city, the swat guys would get there in only a few days at most. NH2 itself was just a few days at most, as well. Frank tells Jake this in September, but NH2 is in October. Also, the events of NH2 are never directly mentioned other than this, so NH2 in Underhell's world wasn't very major, even for swat. So here is what I think was happening:

In September in UH!world, the swat team was sent to the hospital for protecting the Core. However, NH2!Romero steals it from his counterpart. UH!Emily is still alive and well, but the core's presence in NH2!world is causing her to shift between realities in a non-corporeal form. By October in UH!world, the city and its suburbs, which is where the hospital is in both worlds, are overrun with zombies. The Core in NH2!world switches the NH2!staff with Underhell's zombified staff either partially (the hallucinatory zombies, "creepy" zombies), or completely (the real zombies). Counterparts who are still alive in UH!world become shades (those dark phantoms) like the hospital announcer, but UH!Emily has features in NH2!world because Romero is actively attempting to bring UH!Emily to NH2!world in human form. Presumably, the chef in the start of NH2 was zombified in both universes, so that's why he was killed twice. UH!Emily could not replace NH2!Emily, presumably because NH2!Emily was dead (and thus is never really seen except for that bit in NH1, where NH2!Emily is seen hanged). Although NH2!Alpha Squad was killed, UH!Alpha Squad is still alive and active in Underhell. The ending where Romero is killed and the Core destroyed severs the link between universes, and UH!Emily presumably fades back into UH!world. The various hallucinations in NH2 are the player character partially shifting between universes. Of course, the UH!people would never notice these shifts due to having their hands full with Ito and the zombies.

Jesus you guys

All these theories and other bunch of researching crap?

Really?

It's just an Easter egg.

There is not a single connection between these two universes, at all!

You even made me laugh when you started your research on event dates, how long it will take to get to hospital and a theory about SWAT first protecting the core

I am not even exaggerating what I am about to say, but you are utterly ridiculous

Jesus you guys

All these theories and other bunch of researching crap?

Really?

It's just an Easter egg.

There is not a single connection between these two universes, at all!

You even made me laugh when you started your research on event dates, how long it will take to get to hospital and a theory about SWAT first protecting the core

I am not even exaggerating what I am about to say, but you are utterly ridiculous

Well, that's not entirely true.  Underhell and Nightmare House share the same universe, just not the same story.  Plus, researching dates and coming up with crack-pot theories about upcoming content is kind of what you're supposed to do in a thread about the discussion of upcoming content.  :wink:

My thoery also justified why the events of NH2 will not be mentioned in Underhell in the future. In UH!world, the hospital is filled with zombies like everywhere else near the city. So essentially, the player won't see connections other than easter eggs in Underhell, but there is an in-multiverse connection between the worlds, which was severed at the end of NH2. Also, NH2's events, other than the Core's dissapearance, never happened in Underhell's world. Maybe Ito or whoever his boss is wanted to cross over into NH2's world to get something by exploiting NH2!Romero, or NH2!Romero made the Core on his own to cross over and pull UH!Emily to his world.

If paranormal people can enter NH2's world and UH's world (afterlife -> living world), then it would not be far-fetched to say that there can be limited crossing over between lands of the living. Silent Hill pulls this with the Otherworld.

Bit of a bump.

To me, crossing NH2 and UH seems like a bit of a. Stretch. I understand, there are some crackpot theories that some people have and will create but. In the end, unless Mxthe descends from the sky to deliver a note saying I'm wrong, I think it's mostly just easter eggs for the Keen-eyed.