Tabe

!Spoilers! My thoughts after Underhell Chapter 1

124 posts in this topic

I

Scenario 5: Raito/Takeo had already helped Ben and Terrance escape the Facility before heading to help Jake and Bryan, the remaining MP's were unsuccessful in containing the Facility which is why the city is swarmed, unfortunately the Hermit was left behind and would probably be the only one still breathing in the facility.

Scenario 6: Raito/Takeo had already helped Ben and Terrance escape the Facility before heading to help Jake and Bryan, the remaining MP's were successful in Securing the Facility but despite this the outbreak still spread to the City.

That's a good point, if they are still alive, then Raito probably has helped them escape already. We should take into account that many hours have passed since Jake was taken into that interrogation room, Raito had plenty of time to go back to the facility to help them out.

Well there were the to opposites, Terminus and...something else. Can't remember. The two opposites, built in each facility. What Jake's dad was "working on down there" was Jake, which is why Frank didn't know Jake existed before that moment.

The journal of Tom H. (Tom Hawkins. Is that the name of the other Jake? Then why is he always called Jake?) says bad things can happen when one almost dies, which is why Jake somehow killed every one at the end of the prologue. It had nothing to do with the gas besides oncoming death. But if there is two Jakes, the one in the prologue, house, and chapter 2, and the other one is played as in chapter 1, I don't know why he'd be in prison in ch. 1.  

What I got was Jake from chapter 1 was recovered with head trauma from the sniper shot, but in chapter 2 you play as Jake from the prologue, who has head trauma from being smashed in the head by that SWAT guy at the prologues end.

I could be very wrong, but I do believe there are two separate Jakes. The diner scene with Michael assists this. The two opposite solutions that can't exist together.

So there are two Jakes, one you play in the Prologue, and the other in Chapter 1. And in Chapter 2 you'll play the Prologue Jake again?

I need to stop reading this stuff at night, my brain is melting. :glump:

I think we only play as one Jake, the other(s) may or may not be all dead. Tom Hawkfield is the name of Jake's father. I'm pretty sure the two Jakes in diner scene was mostly him realizing that he wasn't really there, it's like when you figure out you are having a dream while you're dreaming.

It said somewhere that it's just one Jake until after Igor is shot dead. During the escape afterwards, you play as the second Jake, but the real one was taken into custody.

However, I agree that there are two Jakes, just not in the sense you're thinking.

Perhaps the House and the plot are two parallel universes? The plot has too much content to be unreal, but the House has you waking up when you finish a chapter and going to sleep when you start one. So there's one Jake in the plot doing what he does, and then there's House Jake, where the whole hostage situation never happened.

It said somewhere that it's just one Jake until after Igor is shot dead. During the escape afterwards, you play as the second Jake, but the real one was taken into custody.

But there ARE two facilities, and you enter one in the city in the prologue, and you enter the one in Arizona in Chapter 1, yet somehow, Jake's subconscious of the Arizona facility represents the city's facility "Then how come there isn't a giant crater in the middle of the city?". 

I believe Jake is at least one of the Januses, if there are not two Jakes. Jake's dad was working on something "down there" (as in underground facility), and no one knew of Jake until he almost died in an accident. So the project would be Jake being built (cloned, probably), and the "accident" could possibly be him freaking out and killing everyone in the same sense as the end of the prologue. What is unclear is which facility Jake is from. I would assume the one he lives near, but then again Tom's journal is in the one in Arizona (though the journal was clearly fake, and probably activated in Jake's mind by being near Mia). AND Tom's journal mentions something bad happening if one almost dies, as in there are two, and something bad maybe being what happened when Jake almost suffocated at the end of the prologue.

But another thing I thought of, is Jake's wife is nowhere in chapter 1, despite being in the house constantly, appearing in the prologue when Jake is knocked out, and attacking in Chapter 2 in full force. But it's almost like Jake forgets she exists through all of chapter 1, like she never haunted him.

Where did she appear in the prologue?

When Jake is knocked out by the normal gas, he dreams of the house. When he passes out after killing everyone from the red gas, there is a dream/cutscene of the camera flying through the house until you see her playing the piano, where she disappears.

An easy explanation for this is Jake is always thinking of her, except when he's absolutely focused at his job.

I think Jake was cloned multiple amount of times for the development of Posterus.

As Tom says "They look so much like him it's killing me to do this to them."

Your profile picture sums up the mod nicely. (as soon as the credits rolled I was in this state for at least 15mins)

photo-thumb-28578.jpg?_r=1378448306

Rather than make another topic, I'll just state my thoughts about the game here.

Wow. Just.... wow. I've played a lot of games over my short life, but I can honestly say that Underhell was the only game that had me completely drained at by the end of it all. Well, of Chapter 1. I don't know if I can handle two more chapters and an epilogue... Jeeze.

I wouldn't say I'm a veteran when it comes to games categorized in the Horror genre, but I've played a few without really getting terrified. Yeah, Dead Space would be on the list of played games, but I never saw that as a horror game. Resident Evil didn't really scare me that much, maybe a few jumps here and there; Dead Island made me laugh all the way through; L4D... I wasn't really sure if that would be considered horror, still fun as all get out though.

I'm sorry, the point I'm trying to get at is that I've never been truly terrified enough to not to take a few steps forward to pull a lever or to climb a ladder or even explore the darkest depths of an abyss. It's always been "w/e" and run in there while laughing as I just tear them apart. Underhell totally smacked my fearless butt down on the ground. A loose quote from Markiplier: "The games that I'd consider to be scary, I mean, REALLY scary, are the ones that make you want to just stop and walk away. But, they make you keep going. They make you push through the fear to get things done." That's not his exact words, but anyway; that's what I felt when I first played it. All the scares, the enemies, and ambience was just totally different to me, it wasn't generic.

Whenever I see the House, I get goose-bumps along with a huge amount of dread. Most of the scares that took place had me staring at the floor while moving forward so I didn't see anything disturbing. Don't get me started on the well.

The zombies themselves creep me out, even though they don't look too scary to me. It's the atmosphere and their random screams from the darkness that gets me. I hid in lockers for what seemed like hours when you were weaponless. I was too terrified to move; the last thing I wanted to do was leave my comfort zone that was the cold, steel locker.

Zombies have never scared me until I played this game. What started my fear of them was when you first leave your cell at the beginning and come across that guard with the shoulder-mounted flashlight. I thought he was going to yell at me and tell me to go back to my cell. Nope, he screamed at me, charged at me, and started to claw me to death. I ran of course, but I ran past the lockers over and over again, too terrified to think. It was enough for me to say, "Fuck this, I'm done." but.... Mxthe is a hell of a writer, so I had to push forward past my fears, to get to the treasure.

I've been attached to characters before, such as the characters from the Halo universe and the Mass Effect trilogy; but this game was only a prologue and one chapter long so far, and I was in tears on multiple occasions that associated with people you've only known for a few hours.  

Malcom. My God... poor Malcom. He was so friendly... I threw my M3 at him, my Glock, even the random grenade I found just so that he'd survive. Well, I threw them at him but they kept bouncing off the bars. I was so desperate to help him though. The way he was talking to Matthew and Eric, it was like listening to a poor kid asking his parents not to leave him alone in his room after he had a nightmare. I wanted so badly to protect him, to see him through these horrible events. I even choked up after he said, "Okay." One word, but the VA did such a good job of putting emotion into it. A horrified man who didn't want to be alone... but he accepted the cards he was dealt for he had no choice.

Then when I heard him getting slaughtered by Igor... I was already in the room when the door barely opened and was already shooting, only to realize the door was what I was shooting at and I was standing in his blood trail. I didn't cry, but I was so peeved. I was even pissed at Mxthe for making a character that I cared about so much, only to have him brutally killed while I had to sit there helplessly and listen to it.

Which brings me back to my point: I cared for a guy that had a few lines of dialogue and only knew him for a few minutes, only to have him taken away without actually seeing it. Just.... bravo Mxthe, bravo.

Losing Matthew was hard too. When he was telling Bryan about his wife and how he was describing the way he thought, I felt such a connection with him. Mainly because that's how I think. I think way too much for my own good sometimes, but it doesn't mean I should completely disregard my thinking process, just adjust it accordingly so it isn't too much. It was like Matthew had the perfect balance: he was level-headed, focused, and very intelligent; but he had a philosopher's mind that just left me in awe, especially when he was talking about the government, or lack-there-of.

I loved all the characters, even Carl and Todd along withthe civilians. Even Eric. He was just a guy that wanted to go home, and I wanted to make sure he made it there. But... he had to take a bullet...

I felt bad about Alyx too, even though he kind of got on my nerves. I know he looked up to his brother and all, but he didn't really affect me until he was suspended in mid-air with hooks in his chest and arms. He was so tired, just ready for a cranberry Power Punch... 

I focus on the ones who've died only because they left their mark on me, their stories are complete. There's still Bryan, Ben, and Terry that are left, even the scientists that you can save before facing Marcus.

I did cry when I heard the gunshot from the Hermit's room, but I was so relieved when I saw him walk out with a look of disgust on his face while stating, "Damn rats." He would be my top favorite character. Such a nice guy, so goofy and handy; but with a very sad story that he tried so hard to escape, only to realize that he was never, ever alone. Loved that.

Then with the section with people that you met inside of their memory "slots" was very moving to me. Tears started to form again and the music sure didn't help neither. Stop being so awesome Tom.

There's still a few characters that I didn't include, but I consider them to play a much bigger role than already seen, so I'm just thinking about those who are in Chapter 1 and probably ONLY in Chapter 1.

Gameplay and combat are important elements to a game, but what I focused on the most was the story. We don't know the whole story and it's one big mystery, which is so rare to me these days. I cannot wait to see what the next chapter unveils. I'll just drink plenty of water before hand so that I won't become dehydrated from all the tears. Damn, I've never cried so much from a game before.

TL,DR: Holy shit, this game needs to be given the "This is an example of a piece of art! Take notes!" award.

I personally found Mathew's death quite hilarious once the glasses cracked I simply laughed.

And Junior when I saw the cutscene the first thought that came to my head BLACK JEEZUS lol

I personally found Mathew's death quite hilarious once the glasses cracked I simply laughed.

And Junior when I saw the cutscene the first thought that came to my head BLACK JEEZUS lol

One of the best deaths I'd ever seen. It was super obvious when it was going to happen, but they made it look SUPER cool in a way I've never seen before.

One other thing I wondered, is the invisible dude in chapter 2 Takeo/Raito? Whoever it was had to have been the one who killed the cops and Michael, and the game implied Ito was working for Michael (Ito said he was working for someone who had their eyes on Jake, and they both say Jake is "very hard to track down.") Raito, of course, hates Ito and would not hesitate to kill Michael.

Michael is alive. His body is suspiciously missing.

Is he? I walked over and stared at his corpse. Was that a glitch?

It looked like Michael was trying to kill Jake then and there, and Raito saved him. Would also make sense, since Ito wasn't hesitant to kill Jake even if he worked for Michael.

Michael is alive. His body is suspiciously missing.

Is he? I walked over and stared at his corpse. Was that a glitch?

It looked like Michael was trying to kill Jake then and there, and Raito saved him. Would also make sense, since Ito wasn't hesitant to kill Jake even if he worked for Michael.

I and a few others saw no such body. You may need to post a screenie of that.

No, Michael wanted Jake to complete the book. Tom in the dream stages said Michael was kind of stupid for doing this, since Tom said Michael would get nothing except a corpse, instead of whatever it was he wants. Also, Ito is a murderous scumbag due to being in charge of a video game PMC, so he is expected to kill Jake on sight.

Losing Matthew was hard too. When he was telling Bryan about his wife and how he was describing the way he thought, I felt such a connection with him. Mainly because that's how I think. I think way too much for my own good sometimes, but it doesn't mean I should completely disregard my thinking process, just adjust it accordingly so it isn't too much. It was like Matthew had the perfect balance: he was level-headed, focused, and very intelligent; but he had a philosopher's mind that just left me in awe, especially when he was talking about the government, or lack-there-of.

Glad to see someone liked my Character lol :D

Its the first time I've voiced an RPG character rather than just a few words of dialogue for inconsequential characters (it kind of shows especially at the beginning, I had to record in over 30 degree heat too with no fan so was a bit distracted D: ). It took me a while to understand what Mxthe wanted from the actual character and to relax and fill Matthew's mold. Matthew is someone who tends to keep his emotions in check but it was nice to see Mxthe allow for a few outbursts of emotion when Matt gets confronted by the others :D

I had to laugh watching Galm's stream when Matt died because someone posted 'Matt went from asshole to hero' haha. Mxthe did a really good job of fleshing out the characters and writing up the story and its been really great to watch the efforts of so many artists come together in Underhell.

Glad to see someone liked my Character lol :D

Its the first time I've voiced an RPG character rather than just a few words of dialogue for inconsequential characters (it kind of shows especially at the beginning, I had to record in over 30 degree heat too with no fan so was a bit distracted D: ). It took me a while to understand what Mxthe wanted from the actual character and to relax and fill Matthew's mold. Matthew is someone who tends to keep his emotions in check but it was nice to see Mxthe allow for a few outbursts of emotion when Matt gets confronted by the others :D

I had to laugh watching Galm's stream when Matt died because someone posted 'Matt went from asshole to hero' haha. Mxthe did a really good job of fleshing out the characters and writing up the story and its been really great to watch the efforts of so many artists come together in Underhell.

Well you did a fantastic job from beginning to end and I hope to see (hear) your voice in many more characters to come. 

And I never saw him as an asshole, lol. But he did die a hero! 

Cheers man :) Yeah I like to think that Matt is a widely misunderstood character in that he seems hard on the outside but is probably soft on the inside. That's what I would like to think but only Mxthe has the answers. I just derive the notion from the way he takes Ben under his wing a bit or tries to protect him anyway from Brian :)

Oh man, guys, guys, my brain, I need that.

All I understood was that, when you played Chapter 1, you were not really there, Jake is in the chair, with that Micheal or whatever his name was, and he was looking for something in jakes mind, something he saw in the facility. Then, the outbreak escapes one of the facilities and into the city Jake is in, thus allowing him to escape and apparently, bryan too, maybe even Ben and Terry, who knows? We know Matthew is dead, we know Junior is dead and that guy in the beginning, I forgot his name.

One thing is not really clear though, who killed all those people at the end of the prologue? Was it Jake?

Man, there are so many questions. This mod is so complex, it must've been really hard to write the story with all the characters and alternate realities and whatever.

Well, that's the end of Brainfuck Chapter 1.

I think that you play as two Jakes. Remember at the end of the prologue, while you were still in the interrogation room, you overheard this:

"I have my orders. We'll take him with us."

"The hell you will! This is our jurisdiction. Who the hell do you think you are?"

"You don't want to know. Take him away."

Remember, you were IN THE ROOM when you heard this. But in the intro of Chapter 2, I went by a hallway and heard the exact same conversation. I peaked around the corner and saw the police officer that had blamed you for everything at the end of the prologue. And he was talking to two terrorists.

I think that Jakes dad created clones of Jake to (technically) keep him from dieing, and in the prologue you play as one Jake, and in Chapter 1 you play as the second Jake.

One of the things I was wondering was what happened to the Warden after the outbreak. I'm assuming he was rescued by the soldiers since he would have a high level clearence, what with supervising everyone in the prison, along with not finding his body anywhere.

Just wondering, but will we get to see him in Chapter 2?

One of the things I was wondering was what happened to the Warden after the outbreak. I'm assuming he was rescued by the soldiers since he would have a high level clearence, what with supervising everyone in the prison, along with not finding his body anywhere.

Just wondering, but will we get to see him in Chapter 2?

I've been wondering what happened to him too, so I did some looking:

"When attempting to gain access to the Warden's office to obtain the butchery key, Jake tracks down Pierce's last known location in the west block to get his key to the office. Within a security checkpoint containing an infected security guard, the key is discovered lieing in a pool of smeared blood. Amidst the blood lies Pierce's framed photograph of his daughter, a blood stained hand print on the glass – though no body is present in the room."

So he's almost guaranteed to be dead. His zombie form was probably shot dead by Ito's strike team.

I think that you play as two Jakes. Remember at the end of the prologue, while you were still in the interrogation room, you overheard this:

"I have my orders. We'll take him with us."

"The hell you will! This is our jurisdiction. Who the hell do you think you are?"

"You don't want to know. Take him away."

Remember, you were IN THE ROOM when you heard this. But in the intro of Chapter 2, I went by a hallway and heard the exact same conversation. I peaked around the corner and saw the police officer that had blamed you for everything at the end of the prologue. And he was talking to two terrorists.

I think that Jakes dad created clones of Jake to (technically) keep him from dieing, and in the prologue you play as one Jake, and in Chapter 1 you play as the second Jake.

I don't think so. I think there's only 1 Jake. In Prologue , The virus must Deadlier that the Chapter 1 and i Suggest he was inmate before.

Yes, it did happen. Jake was just telling the people in the interrogation room exactly what happened.

Everything happened until the point where Jake was shot in the head, only the "escape" was fantasy, the rest was real.

P.S My Grammar Sucks 

The whole prison exploration before reaching the first safe room almost made me drop the mod, notably the part where you need to look for a PDA with a code. I've looked through offices a dozen of times, breaking windows and PCs to mark where I've looked already and had no luck finding it.

I watched a walkthrough on youtube, but due to random item placement it was pretty much useless.

I've nocliped through the door like a little b.. and somehow manage to find it under a desk later in the game. That's my only complain, though I guess it was more of a luck thing.

The rest of the chapter was wonderful, it's been some time since safe-rooms actually felt cozy, tonnes of voice-acting are amazing, and other guards are actually likeable, character quests were great, and didn't feel cheap at all, fighting infected is great, though I never ran out of bullets (despite playing hard and all).

Fighting soldiers was also cool, though the explosive radios made them kinda underpowered.

Escape from the prison was also fun.

Boss fights weren't spectacular, but they weren't annoying either. It's most likely one of the best single-player mods out there.