Hen7

Ideas needed

580 posts in this topic

Bobsack1 said:

I think us, the public are even running out of ideas, 27 pages anough for you :o ? :ftwtf:

Actually it's more than enough, definitely. Hen used stuff from this thread as far as I know. He already have the game planned out, obviously, ages ago. The main reason this thread is not already locked is because some players still do like to think of their own NH2 fantasies, either making it to the real NH2 or not. When Hen finds an idea he likes, even know, I'm pretty sure his map-designer-genius-mind will find a legit way to push it into the game regardless of the very progressed development stage of the project.

So again, please folks, stop spamming this thread.

@OZPruduction - draw them. Unless it's a joke.

It's not a joke, and I'll write them soon, and I think the idea of this topic (at least what became the idea of this topic) is the write idea for scary stuff, not making the game, this topic is one of the best topics in community forums I have ever read....

How about this:

-There is a room with varying complex shadows the player has to navigate through, but whenever the player is in the dark, he receives pain...

- Make the player go through a room with flickering lights. Halfway through the room, make enemies appear with a flash of light. Follow this flash with unbroken darkness and lead the player out of the room in darkness. (This may lead the player to believe the enemies are still there.

- Make a cornered corridor so that when a player just gets around the corner, the doors out of sight (behind the player) disappear. (Do not make this obvious, as it may be discovered in later plays.)

- Make the player go underwater in a tight space (no air above) to escape so as the player might feel claustrophobic with a lack of air.

Hey! I know its a stupid example, but have an entity like the harmless companion cube mod for G-mod where it is inanimate but it follows you all around and sometimes makes grating noises and laughs. It would be quite like the 'moving bush' in cartoons! Also, cos the player isn't experiencing the atmosphere firsthand, you could have HUDS like the feeling of being watched, deja-vu and just generally being creeped out. Oh and this is more advice than anything else, if you must do proper cut-scenes (Like Portal:Prelude) don't make them long. Just short and sweet. In my eye, long cut-scenes are where most games get it wrong especially where they can be repeated if the player dies, make a save game just after it. And what if the player gained more than just weapons. What if they slowly gained ghost like abilities like in Prey! Cool ideas from everyone else! Good luck with the mod!

I'm not sure if the inanimate object following you around is ridiculous or brilliant. it could work, depending on how you do it.

imagine a trash can tips itself over and slowly rolls to you. or quickly rolls back and forth banging against walls.

wow, almost 30 pages! this mod is taking too long, hen!

At least it's not a bump

dude, there should me something like this:

first off, add ambient sounds. take afraid of monsters for example. use whispers and far off screams to create the atmosphere, and puzzles where you have no choice but to shut off the power in a certain part of the building.

now, on to some of the mapping. i like what you did with the tv room scare thing, with each tv going out one by one. maybe you could have something similar, and what i mean is: you walk into a room, and you see a door at the far end. one by one, the lights shut off from that door and finally, the last light shuts off and the door shuts, letting 3 zombies in.

more to come.

Here my suggestion. Players hate when the ghost is behind them. So, why not do something like this, you walk through a long corridor and hear footsteps and breathing behind you.. But when you turn around you see nothing.. Then you see a monitor up ahead with a camera on top so you see what's behind you. and there you go. there's the ghost and BAM the tv explodes and you turn around in fear just to find nothing is behind you. Almost like the part in NHr with that tv you know. Also try to add moments where you see something behind you. Like this *Turn around.. Nothing... Turn back BUT then right infront of you there's the ghost. That would scare me. Hope this wasn't to complicated. I know I'm bad at explaining things. But I hope this will prove to be of some use for you. Good luck! I'm really looking forward for NH 2 :3

i've seen a couple programs do this before, so i know it's possible to code. i'm just not sure if you can code it into source games (probably not)...

any quiet point point of the game (maybe a randomly selected point) have the CD/DVD tray open.

orrr... if you could tap into windows energy saving features and have the monitor turn itself off. when the player turns it back on, they find themselves in a different place.

finally, when the game closes it starts another executable that runs hidden. eleven minutes and six seconds after the game is closed the ghost appears on your desktop.

ShaolinDave said:

i've seen a couple programs do this before, so i know it's possible to code. i'm just not sure if you can code it into source games (probably not)...
any quiet point point of the game (maybe a randomly selected point) have the CD/DVD tray open.
orrr... if you could tap into windows energy saving features and have the monitor turn itself off. when the player turns it back on, they find themselves in a different place.
finally, when the game closes it starts another executable that runs hidden. eleven minutes and six seconds after the game is closed the ghost appears on your desktop.

1 and 2 are possible but fucking scary.

.eXeC! said:

ShaolinDave said:

1 and 2 are possible but fucking scary.

:huy:

ok, Now i remember this from a game and it was pretty scary... ok,

lets say your walking down a hallway some doors on the sides and you hear footsteps. [either from behind you or wherever] So you finally get to the end and theirs a door thats locked. rigth after you try to open it somthing [either zombies or a monster] appears behind you and after you kill it a light show from underneath the floor [theirs a trapdoor]... so you can break it open and you can walk down but the light dissapears and your in a tunnel. so you would walk and the atmospher would be pretty scary, some zombies. maby another ghost sighting. you find some stairs that lead into a storage closet, or a boiler room.

I really like those interface screw ideas we have cooking here. I would fall out of my chair and into the center of the goddamn earth if the game planted a screamer into my computer. *Shudder*

Anyways...

Working with weapons. Have the player get some key piece of equipment- I would vouch for a... cell phone?- that they have throughout the game. It could just be a thing that comes up whenever they receive a call (some sort of distorted voice giving obscure, disturbing clues to obscure, disturbing puzzles, or just your usual freakouts.) If you go with the cellphone idea- you could even make it so that they need the cellphone as a lightsource, and they have to take it out to get any light- then you could really screw with the player. Cooking with gas.

Here's an example.

You walk into a room, the door closes and locks. Okay, simple enough. A few ordinary scares and we get out, right? Not quite. The light pops and the player is cloaked in darkness- utter darkness. No sounds, no ambience, no nothing either- complete silence. Their first instinct is to take out their phone to cast some light on the matter, of course.

Once they do so, once the light hits the room, there's a sudden spike in the music- a gut-wrenching cord- and all of the walls are covered in those damned, disemboweled-looking dolls, soaked in blood. And moving. Alive. Screaming.

A shadow appears in the middle of the room for a moment, just a split second, in the flicker of your cellphone. You scamper horribly for a way out of the room, all of these possessed dolls screaming, the music unbearably loud and horrific, you just KNOW something's there for you. But there's no door. No way out. Just the room, and the loud noise, and those damned dolls everywhere, twitching like something out of Silent Hill, screaming in your face.

And then, for the first time in the mod, you notice something's wrong. Your cell phone? It's dying. The battery life shows up and the player can no longer control his weapons, so no putting away the cell phone. The battery drains, the light flickers- with every flicker the shadowy figure seems to creep closer, some sort of deformed mass of flesh with shimmering teeth and gouged eye sockets.

The battery on your cell phone dies. Everything goes dark. There's another silence. Then, after waiting for far too long, in the unknown room, your cellphone springs to life. The instant it does, a face appears on your cell phone's screen, stretched and white and horrific, and screams. Screams loudly. The face suddenly zooms in at a rapid pace, and the cellphone shatters and the face fills the computer monitor, screaming, SCREECHING-

And then, without any sort of dramatic cut, you're back in the hallway before you entered the room. The door before you, the door you had entered the room through, slams in your face the instant you do, and in the brief moment before it does you think that you can see yourself, some other form of yourself, still in the room, holding the cell phone. Twitching. Moaning. You've scratched your eyes out with your bare hands.

And then the door is closed, and your cell phone is normal, and the door is locked. Silence.

dragoncaim360 said:

I really like those interface screw ideas we have cooking here. I would fall out of my chair and into the center of the goddamn earth if the game planted a screamer into my computer. *Shudder*

Anyways...

Working with weapons. Have the player get some key piece of equipment- I would vouch for a... cell phone?- that they have throughout the game. It could just be a thing that comes up whenever they receive a call (some sort of distorted voice giving obscure, disturbing clues to obscure, disturbing puzzles, or just your usual freakouts.) If you go with the cellphone idea- you could even make it so that they need the cellphone as a lightsource, and they have to take it out to get any light- then you could really screw with the player. Cooking with gas.

Here's an example.

You walk into a room, the door closes and locks. Okay, simple enough. A few ordinary scares and we get out, right? Not quite. The light pops and the player is cloaked in darkness- utter darkness. No sounds, no ambience, no nothing either- complete silence. Their first instinct is to take out their phone to cast some light on the matter, of course.

Once they do so, once the light hits the room, there's a sudden spike in the music- a gut-wrenching cord- and all of the walls are covered in those damned, disemboweled-looking dolls, soaked in blood. And moving. Alive. Screaming.

A shadow appears in the middle of the room for a moment, just a split second, in the flicker of your cellphone. You scamper horribly for a way out of the room, all of these possessed dolls screaming, the music unbearably loud and horrific, you just KNOW something's there for you. But there's no door. No way out. Just the room, and the loud noise, and those damned dolls everywhere, twitching like something out of Silent Hill, screaming in your face.

And then, for the first time in the mod, you notice something's wrong. Your cell phone? It's dying. The battery life shows up and the player can no longer control his weapons, so no putting away the cell phone. The battery drains, the light flickers- with every flicker the shadowy figure seems to creep closer, some sort of deformed mass of flesh with shimmering teeth and gouged eye sockets.

The battery on your cell phone dies. Everything goes dark. There's another silence. Then, after waiting for far too long, in the unknown room, your cellphone springs to life. The instant it does, a face appears on your cell phone's screen, stretched and white and horrific, and screams. Screams loudly. The face suddenly zooms in at a rapid pace, and the cellphone shatters and the face fills the computer monitor, screaming, SCREECHING-

And then, without any sort of dramatic cut, you're back in the hallway before you entered the room. The door before you, the door you had entered the room through, slams in your face the instant you do, and in the brief moment before it does you think that you can see yourself, some other form of yourself, still in the room, holding the cell phone. Twitching. Moaning. You've scratched your eyes out with your bare hands.

And then the door is closed, and your cell phone is normal, and the door is locked. Silence.

I think we need to get a straitjacket for this one.

That's creepy... Still I like the idea with the cellphone. But what about this. In silenthill there's a lot of puzzles. One of them goes like this:

You find a dead guy in some bathtub I think, you look at his tatoo on his arm which says ''The time is the key'' or something like that. Then later on you step into a room with a ringing alarm bell, some beds, a locked suitcase and some other stuff. What you're supposed to do is to look at the time on the clock and use that as the code on the suitcase and it'll unlock. Some puzzles like that might be hard to make, especially in source but still, if it's possible, it would be awesome to have puzzles like that one :3 GOOD LUCK HEN! I can't wait for NH2 :D javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

Nice, Dave! Those are like breaking the fourth wall to scare you. Looks like Hen is skeptical about it, though. The problem with that is if he hides programs like that in NH2, a lot of antivirus software might pick it up and ruin the surprise.

EDIT: Jesus, dragon! You better be writing some screenplays.