Hen7

Ideas needed

580 posts in this topic

oh oh oh. You know those fear moments? When they happen don't just dim the lights or whatever. Add echo sounds,enhanced vision and hearing....at times. That will be cool.

PS: Music plays a HUGE roll. When you got a scary even happening like maybe in NH2 things start shaking uncontrollably in a room add some Frigged up music. That will be cool. Also, when you have the players attention and he has to make a big decision play a heart pounding sound.

The_shining_heres_johnny.jpg

Ok first of all this is going to be a huge post and I don't expect you guys to read it all or even comprehend it. Its just my little jot notes and observations of the movie "The Shining"

Try reading through and making out of it whatever you can.

At first it establishes the scene. It draws the player in and starts of with a weird disturbing music. Maybe this means the viewer should expect something really..really disturbing. It really sends a chill up my spine with all those echoes and screams. It makes things so believable. Anything can happen. Nothing looks unrealistic. VERY believable. A very lively environment. It puts a background.

Ok something I noticed. We all know this is a horror movie. And its based in a hotel. At one point you hear the mother say "...well how come you don't wanna go...well just wait and see..were all going to have a great time.."

Then the main antagonist..he has some background given on him. You can observe how he acts..some depth is created into his ways.

Once again its made believable.

*maybe Isolation is needed..for a scary effect. Maybe..

I like it how people in the movie really connect with the antagonist. They show real emotions..concern and all. Like having a real situation going on.

Something completely unreal happens. Blood coming out of elevators. Something mind shattering with screams. Eyes wide open. This movie is random. "After a couple of minutes, it will be hard to tell what's real and what's a dream. "

There is an underlying danger. Something at the back of your head. Any you know it. This is a queer effect and usually everyone gets that feeling. Perfect for maybe the first encounter with a monster. Before you find out about it..put an underlying danger at the back of the players minds.

The music really adds a sense..of danger. Something horrible. Something you don't see all the time. man that music. It puts something in the back of your head. It gets your attention. Something happens. It makes you turn around and tells you danger is staring straight at you! Something beyond your comprehension. Something terribly horrible. The evil that you don't know is what scares you..

When I'm scared and tense. I'm attentive to every single sound. Even in the slightest click sets me off. F..

"This place is so big!"

Don't let it get you down Ms. Turner, its big but its still nothing but a kitchen! And alot of this stuff you'll never have to touch.

"I wouldn't know what to do with it if I did."

(Pshhh yea right, foreshadowing that she might use a big fricking cleaver or something here)

Also look at when the black guy when he introduces the freezer with all the meat..the protagonists will probably have to use this place somehow out of desperation somehow! (edit: she does use it to trap the enemy in there)

Weird how the kid sees something every now and then and they play music..as if the kid senses something in the future..an impeding danger. (background voice turns into echo and kid focuses on something.

Maybe there should be some scary scenes where they have some depth/history in them.

In the place where you are..there has to be a story behind it. It has to be a location that lived at one point in time in the past.

Hmm..the character is told to stay out of room 237 but not told why.

The hotel is very isolated, big, elaborate and empty.

The enemy says...its as if I was here before. Maybe we can re-create that awkward dejavu effect. Like tell the person..don't go in room 647. DON'T go into room 647. Then you go past that room in the hallway... Then you go somewhere for a very long time like fighting in a different environment for a long long time (up to the point that you almost forget how that room looked like). Fighting lots of enemeis in the meantime. Then in the end you come running back. Down that hallway. That same hallway. Panting. Scared. Running away from something. And the..same..hallway you come across..only its different..slightly different (to emulate the effect of the mind thinking a place has changed over time)..and when you come across that room..it says 947 (but its actually a 6 thats been moved to a nine) and you go in and die. Could be a cool end!

There always has to be good then bad. So in an environment..it has to be good at first..then turn bad...Maybe the player should come across an environment that seems normal then when they come across it again its completely different. Ruined by evil.

Make it feel as if they are being watched..and studied..carefully. Something knows you. You can feel it.

That room that that person told you not to go in...it stimulates your imagination..and curiosity. The place is huge..you can roam any where and do anything..

Once again you got that barren loneness's place..and then you got a mad man..somebody watching..thinking about you. Watching your every move..and ready to do something. You can forshadow it..by the mood..the sense..the feeling..the things you see..the music.

There is always a possibility for something. What can happen is known..just not used. I think this is something we can use in the game. Not always being a one way.. can't do this or that kind of thing. I think in the game the player should be allowed to desperatly do whatever they want and if escaping and running away here or doing what they want is what they want that is what will happen. If they choose to lock themselves in a cellar from monsters.f..they can do that. If they want to run into the kitchen and grab a knife..they can do that!

ex. when Pinky smashes through the window in Doom 3 ..wouldn't it be great if you could do whatever you wanted and just run through the door and do such and such instead of doing the obvious and blasting it away.

idea..being chased by monsters..ur screwed. White walls..then you close them off by closing a door behind you and boarding it up with a stick..and shortly after seeing the monsters bashing back and forth. THEN with a awkward sigh of relief, when you look behind you as if in relief..you see the girl for a second.

In the movie...places are introduced..casually but secretly you know they will be used as a scary situation... .. lets build on that .. .

There is one thing for sure. Something is ****ed here. That is for sure.

mirrors... .. lots..

make illusions..so whatever the player thinks ..make an illusion or visual illusion represent them. Mimick what the player thinks in his/her head and then display it like a mirage/illusion

echoes..enhanced vision, hearing....at times

player sees things that aren't really there. All in his imagination..just a guy going mad..simply mad. If you were there, that person would be talking to no one (but in that guys mind he is talking with someone)

Ruthless, stopping at nothing.

When the player has a doubt/pondering as if nothing else matters play a heart pounding sound.

When you have an environment that is very detailed and elaborate..someone could be hiding almost anywhere so it makes the player very insecure. Very unsure what can happen.

As a..plain environment get weirder and weirder and at the pinnacle where some REALLY weird stuff are happening like unknown stuff play wacked music and as things get worse and worse like words become unreadable and just a jumble make the music get loud and louder.

Use the frantic effect when nothing makes sense anymore. When shit just happens and your sense of perception is just twisted, when you turn a corner it takes forever, halls become longer, words are no longer readable, room start having black ooze coming in :o and the ENTIRE environment changes. The player will be able to run ANYWhere (remember how the player can do anything? keep that concept in mind)

When a danger is coming, and you know it do suddle things like footsteps..then knocking..if no response then LOUDER knocks on the door....HERES JOHNY!

When your hiding from something...make it so you can hear the footsteps...and while your hiding you can hear yourself breathing.

If you want to make the alone effect..have a big area..good furnishing..make it so there are TONNES of places where ppl can be so thats y it has to be really well mapped.

If your being chased by something/someone..have the person making noises while coming after you, desperate for you, stopping at nothing and CLEARLY over powers you. He/It is SHOUTing at you. Saying how he/it is going get you.a`

Sometimes have RANDOM figures like a bear/bunny blood stained or something just..L00K at you in a queer way. Like in this queer freaky effect.

Like this...

shining_wierd.jpg

Wow that will be weird. . .random random freaky stuff can make all the difference in a situation where your perception of reality is really screwed.

have a dimly let place where there is an entrance with obviously..doors and such and there are some windows. Make it so you see them from a distance and have a shadowy figure just looking at you. And after a approximate average time when the player should located it ..have it all of a sudden DISAPPEAR in a flash with a sudden freaky violin sound*![/img]

I have some ideas myself.

Since this is a mod and not simply a map(as i read on previous posts)

I was thinking of something two endings(Even more, Silent Hill like).

A good one and a not so good one.

In the good one the whole event turns out to be a bad dream, or he just escapes. In the bad one he ends up in the white room draco mentioned, and a doctor explains that he is paranoid and schizophrenic. Or he can end in a Hellraiser-esque manner, where the events goes on and on and he can't do anything to revert it.

It can also end in a cliffhanger, where he escapes the Nightmare Asylum

and ends up in a twisted town(again somewhat like the true Silent Hill).

This is it, more to come as soon as I think more ideas

Also, you could try modeling the weapons to have a "vintage" feeling. For example a old style Remington, or a Revolver, or even a musket, to show that it existed since the dawn of man, and stuff like that.

Magic could be imbued for example mystic runes that when you approach them you hear the appropriate chanting or finding books of magic that turn the pages on their own and such. Think Octavio from Discworld if you know it. You could maybe find the necronomicon. Either make the player read it in the end to "exorcise" the house(Although he'll become the next master, as he cannot handle so powerful spells ), or and only if you saved a priest he reads it properly and the house is truly exorcised.

Note:The books aren't of course limited to what I said, they could be readable to exorcise unbeatable demons, or open doors.

P.S: I am aware that this mod isn't about magic, and probably won't be added to the game, but I'm hoping for a horror mod with the magic features i suggested.

P.S 2: And yes, I know I am a Silent Hill maniac :P

"Also, you could try modeling the weapons to have a "vintage" feeling. For example a old style Remington, or a Revolver, or even a musket, to show that it existed since the dawn of man, and stuff like that."

Thats a cool idea but IMHO I think we should keep things more modern and up to date. I like firing a Spas shotgun more than a musket.

"P.S: I am aware that this mod isn't about magic, and probably won't be added to the game, but I'm hoping for a horror mod with the magic features i suggested.

P.S 2: And yes, I know I am a Silent Hill maniac :P"

I was thinking more of demonic things and supernatural things happening rather than Harry Potter kind of magic. Magic is fake but demons and such aren't. No really they aren't. They can do some really f'ed up things to you and your house. Check this out. This is what I hope to see in NH2

PS: This stuff is real. Thats what makes this so scary.

While I respect your opinion, there is no scientific evidence that magic , not Copperfield's(which is a true art to me) but actual magic, exists but there is also no such evidence (from science) that prove the existence of ghosts, demons, and spirits generally.

Have an open mind.

On the subject, you can make the game so that you don't fight anyone.

It can be creepy when you think that you're about to get attacked and you don't.

Also, as music you could use some soft ghostly piano or violin.

Or even a ghost singing.

All these happened in Dark Fall, and it was creepy as hell.

Footsteps on the floor, knocking your door and hearing whispers.

If you have named the character you can make the whispers say his name.

PS: I dont think that demons are very appropriate for this. Remember, it's (at least i think it is) a haunted house or an enchanted one. I firmly believe that magic CAN fit in the story pretty easily. Or a good old fashioned ghost story.

PS 2: I am talking about the Occult and every type of actual magic (Black, white etc.). It could be for example an rpg like game with white magic that can heal you, or being able reanimating corpses for protection. The possibilities are endless.

PS 3:Sorry for the third but i had to comment this.

" Magic is fake but demons aren't. No the really aren't. The can do some really f'ed up things to you and your house "

Magic without proper handling and protection(charms and so on) can be destructive to yourself.

Also i checked the video. Some things seem real from this one.

Again to all who read this. Don't block out the possibility of demons, ghosts , magic or even aliens. An open mind is needed to understand the world.

Too philosophical, gotta take a break :P

As soon as i get new ideas I'll be back.

"...there is also no such evidence (from science) that prove the existence of ghosts, demons, and spirits generally."

True but there have been documenters and journalists that have caught on tape demonic situations and events (BBC). They are real, there is no denying that. Personally I don't want to encounter a ghost or demo at all. Although I saw a white form..not a blob or glowing thing..but a white form in my room at night traveling across my feet and into the wall at night while I was in my bed. At first I thought there was some water in my eye that could of caused that so I blinked a few times then after I realized that this wasn't something normal..I started freaking out a bit (not as much as I thought). This other time I clearly..and I say clearly again because when I first saw it I thought to myself that I cannot be seeing what I'm seeing so I did a mental check and told myself that yes I'm seeing this. I saw a shadow of a man/thing slowly move into my room while I was climbing my stairs. When I went in my room..nothing was there.

On the subject, you can make the game so that you don't fight anyone. It can be creepy when you think that you're about to get attacked and you don't.

Wouldn't people sooner or later get bored and realize there is nothing to be scared of? This is a FPS (First Person Shooter) anyway.

Also, as music you could use some soft ghostly piano or violin.Or even a ghost singing.

I'm totally with you on this one. Violins and pianos can build up such suspense..oh man. I just don't think the ghost singing idea is too great. I'd suggest suddle screaming noises and mutters. Something like your hearing something that happened from the past.

All these happened in Dark Fall, and it was creepy as hell.

Footsteps on the floor, knocking your door and hearing whispers.

If you have named the character you can make the whispers say his name.

Oh heck yes..definatly footsteps, knocking (LOUD) on your door and hearing whispers. A definite must. But for the whispering of the characters name ... which the player can type in..we would need millions of different .wav or .mp3 files so we could get every single name. BUT BUT BUT! We can make a list of maybe 50 names and have someone say them out..then add an effect to make it whisper. Then if the player enters in a name that matches the name recorded in the .wav or .mp3 files it will play as a trigger or even in a certain part of the level! If it doesn't find a match from the named entered and the recorded names then it just won't do that. That would be SO sick really. Honestly. I would gladly spend my weekend doing that for you guys. Just need to get the right effect to make it a little girl whisper...

PS: I don't think that demons are very appropriate for this. Remember, it's (at least i think it is) a haunted house or an enchanted one. I firmly believe that magic CAN fit in the story pretty easily. Or a good old fashioned ghost story.

Oh man sorry I highly if not enormously think demons should be in this. Hey it looked like it was in Nightmare House 1! They are as scary as scary can get. Nothing is worse then something from hell (or hell itself but were on earth for now).

Newbie there! Hi everybody and first of all great MoD you made. The best with They Hunger. ;)

For the demon thing I think it should be a good thing. However I suggest them not to be too much visual. I mean big bad baddies with horns, goat heads or cthulluh-like beasts. I suggest something more subbtle, more horrible than impressive, focussing more on the disturbing aspect than the visual.

For example I'd suggest a demon which look like a human but with strange metal stuff put all over his skin, a bit like these monsters from Clive Barker's Hellraiser or Jericho.

Also as NH2 is put in an asylum it could be interresting to focus on insanity theme. You could for example create scenes made only for the atmosphere. Scripted cinematic scenes where the player doesn't have to fight but is flooded by visions and nightmarish scenes. For example you could create a hallway with a lot of cells and in each celles there would be a weird or disturbing scene related to insanity or only horror theme. It could help to increase the atmosphere of the MOD and also to make the experience even deeper. There could be dozens of scenes like this to illustrate the atmosphere on the place.

These visions could also help for the tension. For example the player could not know how to react to them whe one vision start. Does he have to fight or not? Is it serving the script? Is the main character having hallucinations? In a deeper way you could even try to make some vision breaking the fourth wall, which mean (for those who don't know) visions which can talk directly to the player: for examplke at the beginning of the game you must put your own name (or nickname). Then during the game there's that blood painted message on a wall which could say somethin' like:

"Think you're just playing *player's name here*?"

Well that's what I think would be interresting to have. It's up to you now to see that you think about it. In ay case, keep up the good work. NH was really great.

;)

My friend brought up a great idea of walking down an area/hall where there are lots of statues of monsters (all the same). Now as your walking you see one move..just a bit. The slightest bit..enough to make the player go..."wtf was that.. .... .... .... .... .... ... ok must of been nothing" then you keep walking then one of those statues POPS to life and comes down doing massive damage to you clawing away at you! You kill that one then ALL the other ones come alive destroying everything in their path behind you coming for you as you run away from them. Make it so as your running away there are lots of rooms and paths you can take, not your typical..one room exit kind of thing.

Hello everybody, I just created an account here and first off, I would just like to say that Nightmare House is an awesome mod and I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel.

But anyway, I had a neat little idea and I'm not sure if it's possible on source because it involves mirrors. My idea is that your character could be looking in to a mirror (Or window or any reflective surface) and you could see a girl just looking at you in the mirror. But if you turn around, she's not really there. You could hear her giggling and all of a sudden the mirror/window just breaks with for no visible reason leaving the player being all like "Holy shit, I'm NOT alone in this room." I think this could really give the player the feeling that although it seems like they're wandering alone in an abandoned asylum, they clearly have some company. I always thought it was creepy how in the original nightmare house remake you saw a girl on the television opening a door, but when you went to look she was invisible. So that's sort of where I got my inspiration from.

Anyways I wish the best of luck to this mod team and I hope my idea helped :)

I just thought about things moving around on there own, for example an invalid chair. if it gets really crazy this invalid chair might drive upside down on the ceiling (do not forget the squeaking noise :wink: ).

or you stand in a big, silent hall and suddenly loud music starts from somewhere. if you follow the sound to the source you see just an old gramophone or something. after turning of you hear a whisper behind your back or hushed footsteps.

sry for the bad english, i'm from germany

:wink2:

PS: NH is fucking great!

Player walks past room, can see through the glass and lights flicker as a zombie or something is tearing a citizen to pieces,citizen screams,it goes quiet, and the lights shut off..................After that the lights come back on you see the zombie slipping into the vents only to bust out later on.

player stands in an empty room, only a TV standing in the middle and cameras on the walls. if you watch the TV you see yourself standing in the room, but around yourself things which/persons who are not really there.

Lets also do that thing in Half-Life 1 where there is a scientist with a head crab on him moving back and froth on a chair infront of a blinking TV in a completely dark room..at the beginning where Black Mesa is destroyed.

hi guys im from germany and im in the 9th grade so my english isnt very good

first of all i want to say that the nightmare house is an absolutly brilliant mod.

i think its even more shocking than fear or doom.my idea for the mod is making a function that dont allows u to pause the game if u press the escape button.u can still go into the menu but its not paused.when i was playing the mod i pressed every time the escape-button when something weird happened.

i think it would be much more creepy if u cant pause the game.

im sorry for my english .... i know its very bad

I got one that I've always wanted to see. Player opens a door, a voice says "Behind you". Player turns around, nothin. Turns back around BOOM, some freaky chick or something.

or

Player goes to bathroom, theres a mirror, sees all the stalls smash open with zombies in them, turns around, nothing, turns back around and mirror gone.

or

Player starts to another hallways and just sees a weelchair pass by very quickly. Player looks around a corner and its a dead end. Oh and for the hell of it when he turns around theres a bunch of zombies.

How about meeting a live human NPC that leads you through the asylum, but mysteriously is never attacked by zombies? Maybe you could make him seem normal, and watch him become less and less sane as he claims to lead you out.

Another idea is that you could make the player lose sanity. For example, start off normal, then at certain points of the game, make a soft, yet still audible voice, then at a further point, make "ghosts" of mental patients placed in the halls, there, but not there. You can go near them, and they'll talk to you, but they are translucent, distracting you from the nearing zombies. Near the end you could have a monumental boss battle (superzombie?), with mental patient "ghosts" dancing around you as you try to target your enemy, making the final boss battle quite difficult.

Another another idea is to have a room with a big, closed window, with a wide separator in the middle, and if you look through the left side, lets say, you see a bright, sunny, peaceful day in the city, overlooking the park, no zombies in sight, where if you look through the right, you see a dark, burning, ruined cityscape, with zombies all about, some trying to jump at the window to get you.

edit to the ghost boy thing when u turn round the corner instead of the boy jumping at you a red or black daemon/spirit and it goes though u and when u turn round theres a zombie where the spirit went and a pistol on the floor and when u kill it the lights go out for like 1 second and thers a high pitched noise like the first note of the psycho music or a scream and when the lights go back on and the the bloods still there but the zombie and gun is gone :Arr:

First off Goddamn that was a bleeding good mod Nice one on making the first i jumped out of my seat more than once

Ive got a idea of the player focusing on something(rpg?) and then Fast zombie comes up behind a grabs your ankle. Ive also got this idea of being in like a lab and you look in the front window (sounds familiar HL fans?) and theres a button once you press it another window opens up only the room behind is filled to the brim with zombies,and suddenly a load of them crash open and knock you out,Scary huh?

"bitchin!" your ideas is realy nice o.o

First your mod is realy nice thank you

here a link of a video for idea

my idea is a flashing zombie walk and you see him o.o when he spawm a scary sound make a heart attack :P