Hen7

Ideas needed

580 posts in this topic

Even though I just joined, I played NH when it first came out, and I liked it.

I see you need ideas for NH2, I've got plenty.

For one part, you could have the player walk down the hallway, and he hears all these messed up noises, then the lights flicker and go dark, and you hear noises all around you, then a lights come back on, the reveal the hallway, this time, horribly damaged, with holes and rubble and fire all around you, and all these dead things around you, with this blood curdling half human, half animal scream, and fast zombies lunging at you, then the lights flicker and the room is even more hellish, with the girl standing in front of you, with this half human half demonic laughter, then the lights flicker again, and it's all back to normal, except for all the hall way is now partialy flooded in blood with blood all over the walls and bodies and whatnot...

If you like it, i'll give you some more...

Hey its been a while:

I'd like to share an idea with you guys...that happened to me.

Walking up the stairs and from the side view of my room's door with the light shining through I saw a shadow of a "thing" walking..then disappear in my room. No one was there when I looked inside my room after.

Here are some others things I'd like to point out. Ghosts and demons..they happen everywhere. Your never safe (fact).

-Have an area where you shine a light and down the corridor there is a shadow of a person on the side of a wall (even though no one is there). Then have the shadow run away.

-Have a vast area where the player can see a lot but have a very distant area where you see a ghost committing suicide somehow. (based of two true sightings)

-Make the theme very quiet then have something really weird happen like this with the cabinet

-

If you want to be really scary, mess with peoples minds outside of the game. For example, open up the pause menu at critical moments in the game, but have the monsters keep attacking you. Or switch the resolution to something much lower then what the person has set. Or go crazy and flip the screen all the way upside down. Maybe increasing/decreasing the brightness gradually. Or creating an effect that makes it look like the monitor is shorting out and then change the whole screen to black but keep the sounds of zombies attacking you. Random quick saves, or maybe an option that makes it seem that the game is loading an older file or erasing a file before reverting to normal. Fake glitches (like the player getting stuck in a wall, or the player's gun gets laggy) while the monsters continue to attack.

Just make sure to not let the player be killed or getting too injured during these scenes. That can make them get real frustrating real fast.

Defying the laws of physics can really freak out the player as well. Like in nightmare house 1 where the panels start to peel off the walls. Having the player suddenly fall upwards could be a huge shock.

Where did that happen in NH1?

I'll have to play it again, maybe later. But did it happen as you play, or is it something that's already there?

Hi. I had a lot of fun playing NH Remake when it came out and I've been eagerly waiting NH2 ever since, I just LOVE this kind of horror games/mods, really nice job guys! Now, one thing I don't like in this sort of games is the use of monsters (kinda stupid, you might say :D ), but so it is. It just doesn't feel scary seeing a zombie coming toward you and trying to kill you, especially if you've seen the zombie before. My suggestion to you is to use as few monsters as possible.

A perfect horror game would be one where you have to deal with only one monster/ghost/whatever, but you don't actually see it, only maybe a little bit when it comes to attack you. The only way it can attack you is when you're not being careful enough, like running into a room or something instead of walking. The fact that you don't know what it actually is is what's really scary. The same thing is with dark rooms(in real life), you're not scared because there might be a ghost/whatever you're afraid of, you're scared because you don't know what there is until you turn on the light.

Zombies and headcrabs are a big part of NH. I agree with you, there should be few monsters in horror games, but he places them so perfectly, with JUST the right lighting, that without them the game's worthless.

ok how bout a room its just a room empty and pitch black

you know theres something moraly wrong with the room

then it lights up a little

theres a window

a creepy looking zombie slams himself on it and pounds on it splattering blood everywhere

the lights go black again then you hhear screaming by the window roaring moblike screaming you hear a thump the screaming stops aruptly then the zombies burst from the door coming and coming in the dark

I just finished playing Nightmare House and Nightmare House Remake through Steam.

Excellent work for the limited resources you have.

Awesome, off the wall ideas for a future game would include:

1) I would like to see you explore the idea of less weaponry. Having an axe in the beginning of the game was a plus from a survival-horror standpoint because, like the crowbar, it is unconventional compared to today's other modern games, but still conventional in the genre. The axe gives the game an authentic touch of desparatism. Having to fend off the zombie hordes with the axe alone makes the game more frantic than blasting them away with three different weapons in an arsenal. I felt that, about halfway through Nightmare House Remake, I should have lost my weapons when I fell down a hole, or run SEVERELY short of ammo. That would have made the fear even more real. Instead, I ran around without fear, 30+ shells in my shotgun. I hope you understand.

2) I would like to se you explore the idea of less overall health boosts. Having the player enter the house with less than 20 life would be much more harrowing than 70's or 80's for life. Make hazardous objects and creatures just as plentiful as normal, just have the player crawling around with less life.

3) In addition to seeing less health boosts, a supreme mechanic to use is the idea that each and every health kit the player picks up triggers a moderate to massive zombie attack, hopefully one which will offset the health boost. This will make the player wary to pick up the health kits altogether. Combined with using the poltergiest to pull vital health away from the player's reach for ten minutes while he crawls through the house, that should make things unbearably scary for most players.

4) Make the player feel like he can never clear a room in the house. I have found in most games, including Nightmare House, that I will double back if I feel like an ambush is going to take place in a room ahead. I use this time to reload my weapons and recharge my flashlight. I think it would be noteworthy to say that I feel "safe" in the areas I've already travelled through because I have killed all the enemies in those rooms. If you were to spawn a zombie ambush in a room the player has already cleared once, you can probably catch a LOT of players off guard. You can set these attacks up by placing one of those health kits in the middle of a room with bloody streaks leading to it and a spotlight right on it and nothing else. That will almost certainly look like an ambush. Once the player realizes this, he may double back into another room (perhaps one with a vista of the courtyard, and zombies milling about below) so he can prepare for the attack. Spawn a bunch of zombies in the rooms he's passed through and have them persue the player silently. Make him feel like he can never clear a room.

5) Try to make the player's vital stats dissapear. If he doesn't know how much health he has or how much ammo he has, he is going to be much more fearful.

6) Try to make the flashlight break halfway through the game. A high fall can crack the lens and shatter the bulb, or make it go out sooner and charge up slower. Make the flashlight flicker with the rest of the poltergiest-related light flickers.

7) I love poltergiests. Make physics objects dance on the roof or spin in circles. The coolest thing would be to have a dresser raise up and get thrown at the player by invisible force, dealing a percentile of damage, like 60% of whatever his health is, GONE in one hit. Don't feel sorry for the player. Make him hurt.

8) Make a room where each object is sitting on the cieling instead of the floor. When the player tries to open the locked door on the other side, all the objects drop to the floor and a scream sounds like a man falling into a deep well.

9) Here's an idea that will drive people crazy. Spawn a few of the noisiest enemies you have, right behind a wall or something. Make them oppressively loud, so that they are the only thing the player hears. Make it so that the player can never engage or kill these foes. They are just sitting behind a wall in a hallway. The player will think there's a few zombies just waiting to ambush but they will never come. The player will then seek out the zombies but never find them. If you think this is too harsh, try to make it so the player passes through the hallway again later in the game and the walls are busted out, zombies abound. I don't think you should do that though. Frustrate them.

10) Find an object that could possibly emit a sound and narrate a story through an audio clip. Have several of the objects laying around the building and use them as guides for the player. The story should be a little girl telling a fairy tale, but when ever the girl says a proper noun (especially for well-known stories such as Cinderella or Snow White) the sound of the girl is replaced by a screeching noise or a loud girly squeal. It should be told in a very clear voice with no feedback or static, so the player thinks there's a person talking in the next room. Then, in one room, there IS a person talking. When the player sees the girl narrating the story, she will screech endlessly and louder and louder until the player leaves the room. If the player fails to leave the room in time, th eroom will self-destruct with the girl still screaming and objects will be thrown at the player to try and kill him or shoo him away.

11) Create a series of very tiny rooms that look identical. The size of small storage closets. There will be a door on each wall of these tiny closets. There should be about 10 x 10 of these identical closets in a box, all interconnected. Only one should be different, with the most hideous, disgusting, revolting object in the game. No monsters, but as many monster sounds as possible. Variance of light flickers from room to room. No supplies. This set of rooms will be disgned only to slow the player down and once he finally escapes from the rooms, there will be a zombie attack in the hallway he came from.

12) Your games use a lot of ambient sound for creepy effect, creaking floors, moans in the distance, and faint winds. So, as the player travels into the underground parts of the house, make a room that is SUDDENLY completely silent. No ambient nothing. The room should contain corpes in holes, like a big catacombs room. No light at all in the room. Then the next room should look similar, but try to make it sould as though the player was standing on a huge cliff overlooking Hell, complete with horrible cries of agony and long, metallic echoes. Just for the hell of it.

13) Finally, I would just like to see more of your fantastic work. We all look forward to an excellent sequel. Please let me know how you like my analysis and suggestions. I love to critique this kind of stuff and seek out the weaknesses and missed opportunities in games.

I agree that there shouldn't be many zombies. For me, seeing a zombie or headcrab start attacking me is startling at first, but is quickly worn away once i start killing them, because i feel excited, not scared. I'll even run around the thing, attacking its legs.

The one exception to this is when you have NO weapons, or when you know something is chasing you but you cant see it. like in condemned 2, where your chased by a giant metal guy. I also have bulleted ideas!

1: like joe rogers idea, have the flashlight break through the game, but make it an obvious break. then, while in a long, dark hallway, have the flashlight turn on, but you cant control it. then you see blood slowly making its way down the flashlight untill the light is completely red, then have it shut off.

2: make the first part of the game, after the introduction of the level, you running away from a non-headcrab slow zombie that you cant kill untill you have a weapon. once you get said weapon and go to kill the annoying zombie, you find him not there. then when you open the door to the next room, he will be directly on the other side.

3: you could re-skin the pod to look like ropes, then have a part where you wake up in ropes, being led to a room full of zombies. then it droppes you on your back and you watch zombies get close, then you awake in a different room.

4: i like the idea of a corpse-filled pool, as long aas there isnt enough to cause lag. maybe make it one room with load times when you enter and exit.

5. have puzzles, but make them involve creep-tastic conciquences. like have a part where there is a guy in a cage, and when you press a button, a door opens to the next room. as you walk to it, you see your buddy get slowly crushed or something.

6. make your weapon jammable, as stated, but make it unjam by pressing a button on the far right side of your computer, like make unjamming your gun be the ] on your computer.

7. make the game unpauseable at certain locations, like if being attacked by zombies, or doing something time-related.

8 : make a dark room with lightning shining light through a window behind you at certain times, so you can see your shadow. then make it flash so you see a big zombie or something behind you.

9. finally, make a part where your trapped in a room, strapped to a chair with blood stains and claw marks all around. then make YOUR HEADS ASPLODE! er...i mean have yourself escape.

C&C

I'd hate to be the guy having to read 8 pages of so many lame suggestions (I'm not saying mine are better, and I'm not saying all, or even most of them are lame, just... a lot) which are like 10 per post... Aka Hen.

I think Hen is reading them all as they're sent. Besides it's interesting.

i have an idea...but it will take long time..

you can do something like that..

you can start like you wake up with some freinds..

then when you together you will see the boss(if you have one..)

killing your freind then in the continue of the game you can see flash backs of the death of your freind( if you apply the idea can you make the freinds name by me???) :wink2::wink:

i have an another idea..

let's sayy you entering a room ( no blood in the room )

suddenly ( the screen goes white )

you can see the boss calling your name and everything it's on fire

( this scene good for one level before last one)

To be honest, those ideas don't seem to fit the NH idea (well, not to me) but they can be great for some other mod. Meaning - good idea, wrong mod.

Plus, I don't believe there will be a boss.

you right neat when i saw the game it dosent look like fit to the mod but it's still an option...

anyway i have new one..

you enter a room full of computer's

as you walk you see the computer's writeing something and it can be anything make like four and the will say "wellcome to hell (charcter name)" then you can hear laugh and the computer's set on fire coool huh?

(BTW this idea from constantine but i changed alot)

Do you need to double-post every time you post?