Hen7

Ideas needed

580 posts in this topic

There's a remake for NH1.

NH2 is not out yet, so to have a remake you first need a... Well, a make. ::'

NH2 will be super-awesome, and no remake can be better.

You probably misunderstood because of the thing he had when he needed a coder - it doesn't mean he needs to remake the whole thing, it just means he needs to convert what he already did into another engine. There are no more news about it, but I believe that part's already done.

You should be! I mean, that is an AWFUL mistake! You should be ashamed of yourself!

Yes I agree with the idea of a poltergeist but we have to make sure the tone is set. Having one just randomly appear or when your armed to the teeth is just not scary. One thing I've noticed is that ghost's and demons can be anywhere so remember that in nighmare house and don't forget that ghosts should be in it too. They often are observers and will either run away, or RUN towards you. Oh and have really really barely audable voices. In actual haunted places - if you take highly equipment which is highly sensitive to sound waves you can actually here different pharses, sentences or responses from ghosts or .. whatever is there. Demons/ghosts can also possess objects and all in all..whats scariest is the evil that we don't know...

(PLEASE INCLUDE A SHADOW RUNNING ACROSS A WALL OR SOMETHING :D )

So, it's ideas you need, is it?

Hmm...

Well, I'm guessing that, considering the nature of this (completely awesome) mod, most of the rooms and the whole asylum in general will be very dark and creepy. So, at the point that the player is least expecting it, put in a proper-looking, well-kept and very normal room. Have everything where it usually is, no blood or rust staining the ceiling and walls- nothing.

This is, of course, to put the player in a false sense of security. As soon as he or she wanders into the room, the door shuts behind him and everything goes silent. I mean DEAD silent.

Give the player a few seconds to try to find a way out of the room until they feel helpless, then make the bright lights over their head snap with a sudden, loud crackle, making the screen go completely black.

In the complete darkness, begin with one eerie, distant scream. Then add another, slightly closer and louder. Then another. Continue until the room is filled with the sounds of random screaming, to the point where the player almost wants to just run from the room as fast as he can.

The sounds cut out, the lights turn back on. The room is smeared with blood, and there's a dead body at your feet. Complete silence.

Was the room like this when you first came in, or... did you kill him?

And there's my idea. Keep up the awesome work! :)

Consider? I'd bet $50 this will be in the game.

I mean, if I had $50.

Really anything that toys with the player's/protagonist's sanity will almost definitely work.

You could even try something simple, like...

Put in a helpful (if somewhat creepy) teammate of sorts, just another poor soul who wants to get outo f the asylum as well. Then fill the player's speakers with the loudest scream you can find... and leave the NPC as he or she was, maybe in the middle of a sentence, as if you're hearing things.

I mean, if the game takes place in an insane asylum, you've just got to have some psychological freakouts, right? :)

I post too much.

Try to rely on the player to scare themselves, if that makes any sense. You can still have plenty of sensory overload scenes, like in F.E.A.R., but if that game proved anything it was that after a while those sort of freakouts turn into just another gameplay feature, and nothing special.

Have optional scares, like a television sitting off in the corner of the room that, upon using, shows the face of a rotting corpse, emits a loud shriek, then promptly a crack appears across the screen.

Though really, my favorite kind of scare is the sort that involves 'threatening' the player with some sort of miserable, disgusting death. Give a nice front-seat window view of someone walking into a room, only to have a loud, shapr noise ring through the air and the window to suddenly be smeared with blood, the sounds of the person screaming on the other side the only hint as to their fate. Then, five minutes later, have the player wander into the room as well, lock the exits, and leave the player to freak out as he stares at the skinned corpse and disgusting liquid flesh pooling on the floor.

Though, whether the player would actually meet that fate is, quite obviously, up to you. :huy:

While not known to be a horror game bioshock had some great moments.

You're walking down a corridor that has a 90 degree turn at the end into one room. The only way to the room is down the corridor you're in the middle of(no other entrances or exits) and from your position you see a shadow cast out of the room of some monster and hear its screams. (I got pumped and charged down the hallway) but right as I neared the room the lights flickered then went out.. I entered the room to find it empty, but you can tell something had just been there. This freaked me out so badly I backed into a corner and pulled out my most badass weapon(I knew it had to be around somewhere)(turns out it had jumped into a cabinet)

Another moment was when I was walking down this dimly lit area and all of a sudden several spotlights illuminate one area with a prized weapon, ammo, and health(almost too good to be true) I quickly went and grabbed them, then the lights illuminating the area where I was standing(the only lights in the area) went off and I heard the shrieks and footsteps of my enemies.

Couple things to keep in mind, it's a lot scarier not facing your monster but hearing it, getting a glimpse of it as it rounds the corner, or just having the possibility of facing it near.

If you don't have the rest of the Orange Box for the PC, you should get it. So worth it for the PC, with tons of mods and stuff.

You should have a dream-like hallucination sequence (once more...) where you just see the camera zip down a barren, desolate landscape with gray, gloomy clouds coupled with spooky wind sound effects...it would give the impression of isolation, loss and emptiness.

Just a thought.

Also,

The character could enter a room,

And you would see a person or child with their back facing you, crying with their hands to their face or muttering to themselves. As you approach them, the person turns to you and you see that their face is horribly disfigured and a piercing, inhuman scream emanates from them but it is all gone within moments in a flash of light.

You would need a ton of atmospheric "abuse" scares such as something running past a doorway or outside a window and footsteps and scratching (a la poltergeist)

Hen, I'd suggest you watch Dead Space video diaries, although it's a totally different setting the principal of scaring people remains same, you may learn quite a few useful tricks ::'

Heres an idea,

You find yourself at the bottom of a big stair but a shadow blocks the end, and then you are attacked by fast zombies from the door behind you. You start to run up the staircase but it seems to have no end, so once you kill the fast zombies the lights flash on followed by a scream and a little girl holding a doll at the top of the staircase, but she doesn't move. Then the player would run up to her,and the girl would say "would you like to play?". Then the lights would flicker,and the girl would disapear with the lights followed by a scream, and a zombie attack from above.

It doesn't end there, also once you get through the door you see once again the girl with her doll sitting at the end of a long hallway, she says "why do you hate me?",and she gets up and runs away through a door.

Hope you like it.:wink:

Lol, nice. What is it about ghost little girls that is so scary? Oo

Hey, i got some ideas.

Ok, i don't know if anyone has played Project Zero (fatal frame) but it has many scenes were ghosts pop up at you. It makes the game really scary and you cant tell what is going to happen next... for instance lets say you are walking down a hallway, have some windows where a girl will pop up and scare u, or a hand is hanging out at slides away as u get close. it helps to have thunder and lightning but i guess u know that... Oh and another good scene is one u used in NHr, When u look at the TV the girl walks up and opens the door next to you! thats shit scary. anyway so what I'm getting at is to make sure people don't know what is going to happen. make a rat run across the room, the light goes off and comes back on in a split second and the walls are drenched in blood then the light flicks on and off again and its all normal stuff like that... anyway thats all i got good luck with the game.

Your last suggestion was already suggested (without the rat) but I can't expect you to read the whole 10 pages :P

I managed to think of yet another idea.

Near the beginning of the game, preferably before the player has had a chance to run into enemies and still has a basically full life gauge, have him walking down a long, long corridor, with nothing but the slow ticking of shoes on the floor to accompany him. Then, about 3/4 way down the corridor, make it so that the player takes just enough damage to leave him with one HP remaining- a single, deft blow from behind him, causing the screen to sway heavily.

he spins around to find the source of this sudden injury, but there's nothing there but the corridor he'd just walked through- with the single exception of a body hanging from the ceiling inches from his face.

Following could be a suspenseful scene involving having a single hit point and trying to not die, but that's not the point, I guess.

Hope I'm helping somewhat.

~