Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ido

The first Nightmare House experience

37 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

To those of you who played the original Nightmare House - share some thoughts! What were the best things you remember from first playing it? Did you really had a fright or just fun? Did you get to play it with your friends (since it's a mappack, it is possible to use it in other mods)? How many times did you play it?

Answer unasked questions too, if you like :wink:

Go ahead, throw some good memories!

1)What were the best things you remember from first playing it?

2)Did you really had a fright or just fun?

3)Did you get to play it with your friends (since it's a mappack, it is possible to use it in other mods)?

4)How many times did you play it?

1)The best thing I remember was when we accidently reloaded a map and the hung lady was smiling all over the screen, me and my friend Neat-Nit had really good laughs

2)Just fun.

3)I played with my friend once, it's funny when you share opinions sometimes.

4)One time with Neat-Nit, another alone.

Oh, and we tried to play multiplayer on Gmod, but the fact that we had all the weapons ruined some of the fun..

3)Did you get to play it with your friends (since it's a map pack, it is possible to use it in other mods)?

1) The mattresses springing up and the stalkers!

2) I was never frightened but the stalkers made me jump!

3) Did not want to, would kill the atmosphere for me :D

4) 3 times!

Haha, good to hear. It seems like I forgot replying myself. So here we go:

The best things IMO were the stalkers and the ending. I was pretty frightened but since I was the first one to play this mappack, Hen was watching me playing through the webcam. That was pretty funny because he also commented. I played this mappack on GMod 9 with my friends once. Overall I think I played it 3-4 times.

Indeed.

I enjoyed it the most because it brought a new experience to HL2 without the need of and code or new material. You used the original material to create something short be terrifying at the same time. Keep up the good work, because I look forward to Nightmare House 2. I hope it's a bit longer though, maybe you could even create a whole series of this by expanding on the / a story and eventually making a mod out of it.

If you've played Exmortis, that would be a good story to try and recreate as a mod or map series for HL2. :) Exmortis 2 was difficult though, but it had a great storyline as well.

I think tonight, I'll start on my own version of Exmortis. Although, in the original you point-and-clicked.. maybe a FPS version would add a more.. interesting outlook on the game.

3)Did you get to play it with your friends (since it's a map pack, it is possible to use it in other mods)?

1) Definatley the matress and the stalkers too!! Its been ages since I played it but there was a bit where you where following a voice or crying or something...that was quite creepy! Reloading for the 20th time at the end and instead of trying to kill all the zombies sprinting for the fence...haha

2) Few frights, definatly fun....few anoying bits mind that broke up the atmosphere.

3) Just me

4) Twice :)

Vash said:

I was so scared I killed my family with an axe because I thought they would turn into zombies.

How could they turn into zombies without headcrabs?

The first time I played it, I had not played hardly anything on the source engine, so I didn't know what it was capable of. Here is what happened...

(I played at night with lights off) I got to the bit where the door which leads under the stairs falls open. I didn't have the guts to go in so I just went up the stairs and the bucket scared the [email protected]#$ out of me and I quit faster than i'd ever quit before.

Later, when I had finished HL2, and got a better idea of how the source engine worked, i decided to have another go at it. I got the the bit where the door falls open and I figured "What is the worst that could be in there? A zombie or something". It ended up being a corpse and I rolled my eyes at myself. :roll: I managed to finish it in the end, but it was pretty scary.

First let me say overall good job. I have always been a fan of the single player aspect of FPS, and a good horror theme is never a bad thing if done correctly.

1) First and foremost, at the end with the flashing/floating "slave" creatures that begin appearing in the hallway. VERY WELL DONE! I actually moved back for a second from my monitor like "WTF was that?". Very well timed and executed. The matresses were cool too, and for some reason the wood under the stairs got me as well :)

2) A few decent jolts, as I said above. I will say this, the environmental and use of sounds was excellent. With my surround sound setup I really felt immersed, and good use of sounds really brought home the horror experience. This is an ofter overlooked piece of the puzzle.

3) Have not yet played with anyone else

4) Twice, once just to play through, and again to gather ideas for another project I'm working on :) Dont worry its not HL based and I was looking more for inspiration rather than stealing your ideas.

Again overall good job. The main lacking point I think was the level design being kind of plain/limited. A good foundation, but almost like a work in progress. A more solid level design combined with the good timing of audio and surprises would have made this an excellent, albiet short, pack. :)

3)Did you get to play it with your friends (since it's a mappack, it is possible to use it in other mods)?

1) WELL...where should I start? I loved the rusty creaky noises of the gate shutting behind you when the game started and the tall house infront of the moon...that really set the mood. I right away realized that this wasn't going to be a another rushed level slapped together in hammer that someone made. I first went =D when I saw the beds jumping. It didn't scare me (I looked away) but when I saw it I was like "cool". Then the first part that scared me was the doll. When you pick it up you hear all these strange noises and such. I immediately dropped the **** and then I started getting scared. My first big scare was when the fast zombie plowed through the furniture in the hallway. The largest scare was when I was in the hallway and that thing pulsed on the screen. OMG. That single even made that map the BEST. Scared me twice in a row! ! Then finally when I was desperately crowbaring the wooden planks on the gate and i finished and that thing appeared. Wow. Just wow. That was just genious. Everything from the planks appearing at close range to the big scream. Amazing.

2) Fright. Definatly Fright (and Doom 3 barely scared me)

3) Yes I did! I was hosting a lan party and had my friends play them seperatly. They loved it.

4) Probably..5 times...in a row.

1) the mattresses yeah that was very original.

also the part you pick up the doll and you hear some screams

how the hell did you do that?

2) both of them. i first played nhr not nh so as nhr is alot more scary

the frightenin in nh was slightly reduced. but still scary

3)no just me. when my mom opened the door i almost yelled

4) im actually going to play it for the second time right now

btw very good game

scaryer than doom 3

I clearly remember seeing the girl hang herselfi n one of the rooms and, upon trying to open the door, hearing a giggle behind me.

So I turned around, and...

NH rules. 8)

After the loading at that part while playing with my friend, she had this CRAZY exp​ression on her face I can't even explain.

I nearly laughed my ass off when my friend played it. He actually doesn't like horror games because he gets scared easily but I persuaded him to play it. There was this one part with a narrow hallway and a painting on the wall. My buddy was frightened enough already, when he nudged the painting and it fell down, he was like "No way, I don't want to play anymore!" and I was like "come one, that painting won't hurt you, silly!" and just when he was walking over it the painting started jumping up and down (the game's physics went a bit crazy :P) and it nearly killed him :D

LOL please tell me this isn't meant to happen Hen. (What he said ^)

Hen7 said:

Where is it that part, I don't remember a painting falling

It's quite at the beginning, after you brake that wall and go into a bathroom where there's a zombie torso on the ground, when you go out of the bathroom there's a narrow hallway and there's a painting on the wall. It won't fall on its own, you have to bump into it ::'
EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention it was the remake

0rpheus said:

Hen7 said:

Where is it that part, I don't remember a painting falling

It's quite at the beginning, after you brake that wall and go into a bathroom where there's a zombie torso on the ground, when you go out of the bathroom there's a narrow hallway and there's a painting on the wall. It won't fall on its own, you have to bump into it ::'
EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention it was the remake

Oh yeah, It's a bug, blame Valve physic system. :wink:

The only thing that shocked me was the stalker appearing at the end where your near your car by saying no escapes the nightmare house. I looked around to see loads of fast zombies kinda creeped me out.

At first I thought it was just a remake of another one of those "scary" maps for Half-Life 2, I played the remake version because I already played the original and I have got to say I was surprised by the map and mod. The experience was phenomenal. I liked the mysterious girl, since she is the majority of the story line, I like how there were no bugs actually in this, everything was finished, took their time didn't so called "half-assed" it. I'm nineteen years old and some parts of the story actually made me jump, didn't actually scare me but you know got my attention. Now with a longer and bigger map, more episodes, more story line this mod would be a 10 in my book, no I'm sure as the future will tell you that there will be more updates to this mod and I really hope that the creators and programmers will follow through with it. This is a great mod in my opinion, great job guys. You have my respect. :D