Fluffy17

Why Jake Won't Talk

19 posts in this topic

I been finished the game and I'm confused why he's not talk ? When Junior died ( Alexander ) why he's not saying anything. Why he's not talk , pls reply

Edit : My grammar sucks

There are many development reasons why we chose to make Jake a silent protagonist, as well as narrative reasons.

Dev reasons:

• Need an actor who can stay throughout the development of the entire game.
  • Need writing that fits every possible outcome and possibilities with the different scenes.
  • Very hard to write lines to which every player can identify and feel empathetic and sympathetic towards.

Narrative reasons:

• Jake has always been a man of a few words.
  • The less Jake speaks, the more the other characters speak and therefore helps character development.
  • Jake's character development happens throughout gameplay and player agency.
  • Jake has sort of taken a vow of silence since his wife died.

In short, silent protagonists allow players to identify with the character more, while having ingame mirrors and showing Jake's model during cutscenes, constantly reminds the player of who he is.

Let's just call it a psychological trauma, whe his wife died.

Although on early stages of development Jake was a talkative character, but it was changed.

From Mod Sentry Interview

Jake was originally planned to have a voice, and to be just like any other characters during cutscenes, it was very late in development that Jake lost his voice, many of the beta testers and friends said that a First Person horror game with a silent protagonist would simply allow the player to take over the main role and feel more engaged. I agree with that idea, but my problem with Jake is that during many scenes he was talking with only one other person, and in order to remove his voice, I would have to review the entire dialogs to give the other person a reason to elaborate his speech without having an actual person talking back, but while I was reading the scripts I started discovering many clever and amusing ways to actually fix that problem and therefore, muting Jake.

It also allowed me to add other narrative elements to replace that missing voice, for example in The House, if the player presses use on some objects in the environment, you can read Jake’s thoughts, which help the player to get to know him better. It is a challenge to try and make players care about Jake and empathize towards him, when Jake never says a word.
That’s where the Emails, phone calls and Mails in The House come in, and you can expect to see many more of those details later on.
Also if you Press Tab to see the objectives during the Prologue, you will see that objectives are given in a “third person”, like an Order, because they are Instructed from Frank, but if you look at the “Objectives” in the house, they are given in First Person the same will be for any future objective that is given by Jake himself.
For example, if someone tells you to open a door, you will see “Open the door”, but if no one told Jake to open the door and the game actually requires him to, then the objective will read “I think I should open this door”.
It’s a great way of making the player feel like he is in Jake’s shoes.

There are many development reasons why we chose to make Jake a silent protagonist, as well as narrative reasons.

Dev reasons:

• Need writing that fits every possible outcome and possibilities with the different scenes.
  • Very hard to write lines to which every player can identify and feel empathetic and sympathetic towards.

Narrative reasons:

• The less Jake speaks, the more the other characters speak and therefore helps character development.

In short, silent protagonists allow players to identify with the character more, while having ingame mirrors and showing Jake's model during cutscenes, constantly reminds the player of who he is.

So... he's slient ?

Not to mention, if your character was constantly talking, the game wouldn't be as creepy.

Jake is sorta like Phillip from Penumbra. He has a voice, but instead of doing voiceovers, they just have text go up on screen so you can read his thoughts. I like the way this is done, actually.

Jake is sorta like: Gordon, Chell, Alcatraz (Crysis), Daniel (Amnesia), Jack (Bioshock), ....

But it would be nice if Jake say something in cutscenes, not all. Cutscenes showing Jake, before his wife passed away.

Dev reasons:

Narrative reasons:

I'm sure the fact that he can never ask "WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?" is also useful from a narrative standpoint.

I always just assume he let his boot do the talking :cheese: .

I REALLY like how he don't go AHHHHH like Issac, make him seem more badass. That and having a character's only reaction to any situation is shoot/kick his way out is pretty badass.

Which is why I find the house sequence distracting, most of them are they are character breaking moments.

Maybe at some point (in the Epilogue maybe?) Jake will deal with "Her" death -> get rid of his trauma -> finally start talking? As Mxthe implied, it's hard to get a voice actor for the entire time of game development... but if Jake would "regain" his voice only in Epilogue, it would be possible!

And seriously... I'm not downgrading Jake's tragedy, but still... he lost "only" one person. Meanwhile, Hermit

lost his entire family, consisting of 12 beloved people.

But this guy still seems to enjoy his life! He's even talking, making jokes and everything!

I hope we're going to witness Jake being reconciled with his life (and talking), just like Hermit is. At least in the Epilogue.

I really can't imagine Jake being silent till the end of the game :/

And seriously... I'm not downgrading Jake's tragedy, but still... he lost "only" one person. Meanwhile, Hermit

lost his entire family, consisting of 12 beloved people.

But this guy still seems to enjoy his life! He's even talking, making jokes and everything!

I hope we're going to witness Jake being reconciled with his life (and talking), just like Hermit is. At least in the Epilogue.

I really can't imagine Jake being silent till the end of the game :/

For Jake it's a fresh wound. It will propably be healed with a passage of time, just like it happened with Hermit, but "scars" will remain and hurt from time to time.

For Jake it's a fresh wound. It will propably be healed with a passage of time

Seems pretty logic. I only hope that this "passage of time" will be included in the game :P

Moreover, we need to remember that there's also Jake's guilt. He wasn't able to save "Her". If she (the REAL ghost) would appear and calm Jake down - let's say, at the end of Chapter Four - it would be really relieving. We already know that "Her" so called "suicide" wasn't an ordinary one. There's no doubt she killed herself... but maybe someone forced her to do this? If Jake would get revenge on the person responsible for this, maybe he would get rid of some part of his trauma (and guilt) and finally start talking?

"scars" will remain and hurt from time to time.

Well, that's for sure.

After collecting all the cards (including "Hermit's Card"), we find out that Hermit never dealt with his tragedy completely.

Moreover, we need to remember that there's also Jake's guilt. He wasn't able to save "Her". If she (the REAL ghost) would appear and calm Jake down - let's say, at the end of Chapter Four - it would be really relieving. We already know that "Her" so called "suicide" wasn't an ordinary one. There's no doubt she killed herself... but maybe someone forced her to do this? If Jake would get revenge on the person responsible for this, maybe he would get rid of some part of his trauma (and guilt) and finally start talking?

Well, that's for sure.

After collecting all the cards (including "Hermit's Card"), we find out that Hermit never dealt with his tragedy completely.

My thoughts, exactly. The whole "maybe someone forced her to do this" sort of perspective. From what we can tell right now, it was a suicide. However, my suspicions tell me otherwise... i'm wondering who would do something like that though... to force her?

Welp, meanwhile I hope that Jake is having a good sleep in that dumpster. I don't think that it will last forever.

I think he just shouldn't talk the ENTIRE game. If they added a voice actor, some people may not like the voice.

He DOES talk, but off camera. Like when Michael did the thing with the red-green light thing.

If they added a voice actor, some people may not like the voice.

Then it's their problem I'm afraid. No one's forcing anyone to like the voice of any character. For example: in "Silent Hill" our protagonist is voiced and no one gives a sh*t if some people don't like the voice, yet this game is one of the best titles of the genre.

He DOES talk, but off camera. Like when Michael did the thing with the red-green light thing.

Yes, I know but still... it's awkward when (for example)

Alex dies, Bryan mourns brother's death

, but Jake's unable to utter a single word.