I_Jedi

So I have a question about how Underhell is being developed.

18 posts in this topic

Also, Chapter 1 was very fun. Good job.

I've seen contrary things about how Underhell is currently being developed. If I remember right, the team took a one-two month break after the release of Chapter 1 fixing bugs and the like. It now has been two months, so that would mean development has likely been restarted. I also read that Underhell is planned to be ported to SDK13. Since Mxthe has mentioned that Underhell is in a transitory time due to SDK problems here : http://forums.wecreatestuff.com/index.php?/topic/76822-source-sdk-problems/, it seems likely that such transitions are underway. My questions about this are thus:

1. I've seen some people say that the transition to SDK13 will be fast and smooth. However, I've seen others say that converting to SDK13 is quite a hassle and thus will take a very long time. Is the conversion of Underhell to SDK13 long and/or difficult? (Simple and fast would mean you're already done or certain to be finished this month.)

2. I have seen rumors of the ported Underhell being released after the changes are done. Is this true? If so, will there be changes from the user's point of view?

3. Will Chapter 2 be delayed until SDK13 is finished? Or are they being developed simultaneously?

4. Will we expect more gameplay changes between Chapter 1 and Chapter 2?

5. A guy on MOD DB says that Mxthe has a long story script for the entire mod. Is this true?

6. I'd also like to know exactly how Underhell will be ported to SDK13. (with technical information; I've modded other games before.)

7. If conversion to SDK13 is seperate from Chapter 2 development and the converted mod is released, will there be additional game content along with it?

Appreciate any answers you have.

1. The 2013 engine has quite a lot of differences according to Charly (programmer), and he has taken the initiative to not just "copy/paste" the code into the new engine, but to port it wisely and, if need be, clean it up while doing so.

2. The 2013 engine brings a couple of new additions to mods, like enable Multi Threads, which will grant performance improvements, as well as a built-in Outlines glow shader, instead of having to create one ourselves, there are many other technical improvements, but generally the game will remain the same, just updated to a new engine which should open quite a few possibilities for us development wise. We are not sure when it is going to be released.

3. We are currently not working on Chapter 2, we would like to get Chapter 1, 2013 out, and if possible get the Steam version out as well, there's a lot of paperwork stuff unrelated to modding we have to go through.

4. We'd rather not reveal that just yet.

5. Yes.

6. Basically rewrite the whole code in the 2013 engine, it won't take as long since the "figuring stuff out" part isn't in the equation, it will also help to fix some bugs.

7. We are currently replacing pretty much all the contributed content from the mod, re-creating it ourselves, which includes weapon models, weapon and misc sounds, many, many textures and other props/misc models.

A lot of stuff is being done, and we'll announce something when we're ready to, hope these answers clarify some things.

Thanks, those answers do help.

Is that paperwork you mentioned related to being Greenlit? I looked at Steam's greenlight about page and it says that valve is contacting you about Underhell.

Yeah, there are a few legal steps to go through to be able to put the game up on Steam, aside from making sure all of the content is there is ours, and we are authorized to distribute it.

So are you going to replace everything like the ACE suits and stuff? What about characters?

I suspect that this means all the stuff from people not on the team. Valve stuff might be okay, because there is a mod or two which got away with just using Valve models (such as Estranged), but the models from other people will likely need to be changed.

According to the readme:

FakeFactory made the inmate faces, "Her" (but Mxthe reskinned it), and some special textures.

VerteranGamer did Smod stuff, so there could be mechanics changes.

OneManShow did some beta testing and some Smod stuff.

Phatcat also did Smod stuff.

So, if I read this right, there will be a kicking re-implementation, as well as some remodelling to Her. (Which is good, because She and Emily from NH2 still look very similar.)

Did I miss anything?

Mrs Hawkfield and Emily are exactly the same model.

In addition, both were picked completely coincidentally, before Mxthe and Hen met each other

The readme said Mxthe reskinned it.

Still, the model was created by FakeFactory, and therefore its contributed if I understand right, regardless of whoever found it first.

which will grant performance improvements

Really pleased to know that. Not that I have some big performance issues. Just only in certain locations game gets really laggy without a reason, even if there's not very much objects/details on the screen.

About the changes in relation to the current "Underhell" version, also the intro animation needs to be modified a little. You know guys, it won't be just "a Half-Life 2 modification" anymore, but a separate standalone game :D

So, since mxthe is working on other projects and Chapter 1 is being reworked into the Source 2013 w/ new art and Steam release so Chapter 2 is not under development.

Is my assumption correct? How long will it take for CH2, 2/3 years? Thx for answer.

So, since mxthe is working on other projects and Chapter 1 is being reworked into the Source 2013 w/ new art and Steam release so Chapter 2 is not under development.

Is my assumption correct? How long will it take for CH2, 2/3 years? Thx for answer.

Yep, you're correct.

It is hard to say how long Ch. 2 will be in development since... you know what.

Yep, you're correct.

My prediction:

Port comes out in 2 years (2016).

Ch2 comes out 3 years later (2019).

Assume dev time linearly increases, so assuming no more engine troubles, the full thing will be out in ~2030.

Yep, you're correct.

My prediction:

Assume dev time linearly increases, so assuming no more engine troubles, the full thing will be out in ~2030.

Lolwut??

You know what really took that long to release chapter one?

Underhell had no combat/survival/stealth features at all. By the time, the team was so NEW to developing a mod, that they had barely any experience. Half of the development time was a big fixing.

But now team got bigger and more professionally experienced.

Features and gameplay mechanics have been created. There will be less troubles with bugs and glitches now.

Chapter 1 remake will just feature same thing, except everything will be remodeled. And while thing a are getting remodeled, there isn't much required for Mxthe to do. Meanwhile he can go on with his jobs on other game companies.

And chapter 2 development to take 3 years?

I will only consider your theory, last resort/worst case scenario. And it is yet highly unlikely

Yep, you're correct.

My prediction:

Lolwut??

You know what really took that long to release chapter one?

Underhell had no combat/survival/stealth features at all. By the time, the team was so NEW to developing a mod, that they had barely any experience. Half of the development time was a big fixing.

But now team got bigger and more professionally experienced.

Features and gameplay mechanics have been created. There will be less troubles with bugs and glitches now.

Chapter 1 remake will just feature same thing, except everything will be remodeled. And while thing a are getting remodeled, there isn't much required for Mxthe to do. Meanwhile he can go on with his jobs on other game companies.

And chapter 2 development to take 3 years?

I will only consider your theory, last resort/worst case scenario. And it is yet highly unlikely

Judging from the information on Chapter 1 shortly after the Prologue came out, the framework for Chapter 1 was essentially already made. Due to the engine upgrade, they have to start from scratch (partially model-wise and certainly map-wise) for Chapter 2. I figure, though I can't prove, that Chapter 1's maps were made in the space of ~2-3 years before the Prologue was made.

Chapter 1 maps were made in merely 4 weeks.

That includes assets, entities and etc

After Prologue was released, that's when Mxthe started very first steps of Chapter 1. Nothing was created prior to prologues release.

The very first teaser trailer is a proof to my words.

I also remember that somewhere Mxthe written that Chapter 1 itself (characters, maps, weapons, voice acting, cutscenes and (maybe) music) has been created in about 3-4 month.

The rest 1,5 year were bug fixes, tweaks and gameplay mechanics (stealth, endurance and etc)

I see. Using that logic...

I believe Mxthe said before that we can assume that the port to engine2013 will be ready sooner than Chapter 1's wait time. Therefore, assume the maximum, 1.5 years. (At February 2016)

Judging from Mxthe's posts in the past leading up to Chapter 1, Chapter 2 will be out a year after the port is finished. This is to be considered true for the next two Chapters, as well, since I will be optimistic and assume there won't be another engine switch. So:

Chapter 2: March 2017

Chapter 3: April 2018

Chapter 4 (dev completion): May 2019

Full thing: November 2019

Fuck this shit man, i'm gonna hide in the closet and wait until the game is completed.