Mati9319

"Metal Gear Solid" references and inspirations

3 posts in this topic

WARNING! This topic is only recommended for people who are familiar with MGS franchise! Also may contain spoilers about MGS series and "Underhell"!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright. Normally I wouldn't start a separate topic, but for me there's just too many references to just leave it how it is. In other words: I have to express my amazement and gratitude! In the end, "Metal Gear Solid" is my favorite game series!

Here we go:

1) Metal gear as an achievement for sneaking style gameplay on the way to the mainframe and in lower labs?! Yeah, that's the most obvious reference, but it's nice.  :D

2) Seriously, in how many games a HK MK23 is called SOCOM? Not so many I'm afraid and MGS is one of these games. :D Also the opportunities to mount a silencer and turn on the laser make this even more priceless.  :D

3) Hiding in closets? I almost felt like playing "Metal Gear Solid 2", especially while being inside ones with horizontal holes :D

4) Matthew's speech about real government and the system. From the very first seconds of this cutscene I had only one thought on my mind: The Patriots.

5) Long cutscenes with tons of dialogues? :D

6) Alerts with constantly incoming enemies until it gets calm? :D

7) Touching, emotional cutscenes with perfect voice acting mixed with supreme utilization of bonds between characters? My amazement went above any standards and I'm not kidding anyone.

Whew... and I'm not even sure if that's all :P

Also, one last question: Bryan and Alex = Otacon and Emma? :D

Not sure if 6-7 are inspirations since plenty of other games have that, but the rest are.  I'll add for #5, the cutscenes in Underhell have a very similar style to MGS, particularly with the way flashbacks are added in.  

Underhell is also a much better stealth game than the MGS games, since it provides much more open and detailed levels with many alternate routes, opposed to sneaking out in the open most of the time like in MGS.  Plus the object interaction which can help you get over obstacles and create distractions.  

Not sure if 6-7 are inspirations since plenty of other games have that

Probably you're right. But for example, in "Splinter Cell" (at least the first one, cause it's the only SC game I played :P) you can "have" an alarm and kill all the soldiers - there won't be more of them coming.

And about #7, the cutscene with

Alex dying in his brother's arms

looked almost exactly like scene with (HEAVY spoiler involving "Metal Gear Solid 2" ahead)

Emma dying in her brother's arms.

Moreover, when we look at Bryan - Junior and Otacon - Emma relationships, they look almost the same. Only difference is that Bryan is A LOT MORE harsh than Otacon :P

Underhell is also a much better stealth game than the MGS games

Hmm... I would rather say that certain stealth gameplay features are better in "Underhell" than in "Metal Gear Solid", cause "Underhell" isn't supposed to be strictly "stealth game" you know. For example, in MGS2 you're never very scared about being spotted by an enemy. In "Underhell", it means immediate alarm and everything's messed up. In MGS2, you have all time in the world to aim your Beretta and put the guy into sleep before he starts an alarm. I would say that "Underhell" forces stealth gameplay more than MGS2 does.