Fredrik

Guide to solve problems in Nightmare House 2

36 posts in this topic

Please read my PDF-Dokument before trying any of the below fixes/workarounds.

The guide is based of fix/workaround #3 but also with some ideas from PlainNSimple.

You can find the PDF/Guide here: http://www.leemann.se/fredrik/guider/workarounds-nightmarehouse2-2014-09-09.pdf

If you attempt one of the fixes than stick to that one.Do not try fix #1 and then right after fix #2

Please reinstall the game in between, that way you have a fresh copy of the game for every fix =)

Fix/workaround: #1

After several tests, I managed to get Nightmare House 2 work.
I have played the entire game without it crashing once.

This fixes worked for me but I won't take any responsibility that it will work for you.

I had those problems:

1. Unable to load surface prop file Scripts/Surfaceproperties_ep2.txt

2. Models and Materials were missing and displayed as error signs in game

3. The game crashes when I got the pistol and also at the end when I was fighting DR.Romero

I have those games and Tools:

Source SDK Base 2007
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Half-Life 2: Episode One

Half-Life 2

The only games/tools I think you need are: Source SDK Base 2007 and Half-Life 2: Episode Two

This is what I did:

Download GCFScape from Nem´s Tools: http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=26

Open the tool and klick File - > Open. A new window will open, go to: SteamApps\common\Half-Life 2\ep2

Dubbleklick on the file named "ep2_pak_dir.vpk" We will need to copy some of those folders to NH2

Right klick on those 5 folders and extract them to your Desktop:

(Rightklick one folder at a time, klick on Extract -> chose location Desktop and press OK)

- sound
- scripts
- particles
- models
- materials

Now cut and paste those 5 folders from your Desktop to steamapps\sourcemods\NH2

You will get two questions. THIS IS IMPORTANT SO READ THIS PART =)

First question - confirm replacement of folders:
Replace the folders, thick DO THIS FOR ALL OBJECTS and klick YES

Second question - move File:
thick DO THIS FOR ALL OBJECTS, klick on Don´t Move

After it´s done you can delete the folders on your desktop...

This fixed four problems for me, if fixed:
Surfaceproperties_ep2.txt, models and materials, the second game crash.

Edit Gameinfo.txt to solve the first crash.
Gameinfo.txt is located in: steamapps\sourcemods\NH2
My gameinfo file is here. You can copy it and paste it in yours.
I also attached it as a file that you can download:

"GameInfo"
{
// This is what shows up in the 'Third Party Games' area of the Steam games list.

game "Nightmare House 2"
icon "resource/nh2"
title "Nightmare House 2"
developer "Hen Mazolski"
developer_url "http://wecreatestuff.com"
type singleplayer_only

FileSystem
{
SteamAppId 218  // Source SDK Base 2007
ToolsAppId 211 // Source SDK
AdditionalContentId 420 // Half-Life 2: Episode Two

SearchPaths
{

Game |gameinfo_path|.
Game |all_source_engine_paths|sourcetest
Game |all_source_engine_paths|hl2
Game |all_source_engine_paths|ep2
Game |all_source_engine_paths|episodic

}
}
}

I still get those error messages but the game seames to work now:

No caption found for 'default.scraperough'
No caption found for 'flesh.scraperough'
scenes/Expressions/citizen_normal_idle_01.vcd missing from scenes.image
Updating physics on object in hierarchy prop_vehicle_prisoner_pod!

If you know what this is or if my fixes worked for you please share this post and comment =)

gameinfo.txt

Thank you VERY much for doing all this. It got it working for me perfectly. I had to look around too much before I found this fix though. Finally get to play it. :) Thank you!

Thank you VERY much for doing all this. It got it working for me perfectly. I had to look around too much before I found this fix though. Finally get to play it. :) Thank you!

Glad I could help you, I have been testing different solutions and yesterday I got it working :P

Hey man, great job on the guide, I can't exectly make it an official fix since its a "dirty" workaround, however I'll stick this up and link people who ask for help.

Valve broke the mod completely, and for now there is nothing I can do, but I'm sure they'll fix it soon, until then your guide is our best chance.

Also:

These are normal harmless errors the fully working NH2 had as well, no worries.

Hey man, great job on the guide, I can't exectly make it an official fix since its a "dirty" workaround, however I'll stick this up and link people who ask for help.

Valve broke the mod completely, and for now there is nothing I can do, but I'm sure they'll fix it soon, until then your guide is our best chance.

Also:

These are normal harmless errors the fully working NH2 had as well, no worries.

Okej thanks and also for the answers. :)

Even after all that, it didnt fix everything..
it helped alot of the crashes and textures... but im still missing some, like the elevator model and the hospital walls texture
where are these located? because im sure i could fix them by just adding them to the folders

Even after all that, it didnt fix everything..

it helped alot of the crashes and textures... but im still missing some, like the elevator model and the hospital walls texture

where are these located? because im sure i could fix them by just adding them to the folders

A friend of mine is having the same problem. She have those games and tools

hl2 ep2

Source SDK Base 2006

Source SDK Base 2007

Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer

I have been investigating that more and what I can se some of the materials used are from HL2 ep1 also and maybe even HL2

When I loaded the first level (nh1 remake) and used the command "mat_showtextures" in console I got a list of what I think is all the textures used in that level.

I also have a projekt for my own, that is to import the map nh1remake into hammer editor for left for dead 2. I had some trouble to find all materials and models first

After I copied materials and models from below files I got it working so I can now play that map in l4d2 but it need some more editing =)

common\Source SDK Base 2007\vpks\depot_206_dir.vpk (HL2 content)

common\Source SDK Base 2007\vpks\depot_207_dir.vpk (HL2 content)

common\Source SDK Base 2007\vpks\depot_213_dir.vpk (HL2 ep1 content)

common\Source SDK Base 2007\vpks\depot_215_dir.vpk (sourcetest/lostcoast) - You will probably not need to copy from this

common\Source SDK Base 2007\vpks\depot_305_dir.vpk (HL2 content)

common\Source SDK Base 2007\vpks\depot_306_dir.vpk (HL2 content)

common\Source SDK Base 2007\vpks\depot_308_dir.vpk (HL2 ep1 content)

common\Source SDK Base 2007\vpks\depot_317_dir.vpk (platform) - You will probably not need to copy from this

common\Counter-Strike Source\cstrike\cstrike_pak_dir.vpk (fixed some decals that were missing in game) - You will probably not need to copy from this

I still work on it but you can try to use gcfscape and copy materials and models from the files below as a workaround:

common\Source SDK Base 2007\vpks\depot_206_dir.vpk (HL2 content)

common\Source SDK Base 2007\vpks\depot_207_dir.vpk (HL2 content)

common\Source SDK Base 2007\vpks\depot_213_dir.vpk (HL2 ep1 content)

common\Source SDK Base 2007\vpks\depot_305_dir.vpk (HL2 content)

common\Source SDK Base 2007\vpks\depot_306_dir.vpk (HL2 content)

common\Source SDK Base 2007\vpks\depot_308_dir.vpk (HL2 ep1 content)

I have all the hl2 games and all the tools mentioned above and the game worked for me using the fix/workaround that I first wrote.

Maybe source SDK base 2007 won´t mount those VPKs if you don´t have the game for it´s content :/

Try this first and please comment if or if it didn´t work =)

Fix/workaround: #2

now I have got everything to work!

I tested this workaround on my own account whit no games installed only the tools source SDK Base 2007 and Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer

Also two friends tested it and got it to work, one of them had HL2 ep2 and the outher only had HL2 one hiss account. This fix/workaround will make it posible to play the game for free on steam.

Since I´m not able to mount vpks in gameinfo.txt for some reason, maybe Source SDK Base 2007 is not supporting that or I do it wrong I need to use Valves vpk-tool and extract the content

First you can delete your mod-folder SteamApps\sourcemods\NH2
Then you can download and install a new one from here:
or here:
http://nh2.wecreatestuff.com/

Make sure you have Source SDK Base 2007 and Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer installed on your account

Now do this:

Open a command prompt window. In Windows 7/Vista you do this by going to your Start-Menu and search for CMD.
Windows XP users can do the can open CMD by going to Start-Menu -> Run and type cmd into run, press Enter.

Change directory to common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\bin, asuming you have the same searchpaths as I have that would be:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\bin

Copy and paste the commands below one by one into the command prompt:

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\bin

vpk.exe ..\ep2\ep2_pak_dir.vpk

vpk.exe ..\episodic\ep1_pak_dir.vpk

vpk.exe ..\hl2\hl2_misc_dir.vpk

vpk.exe ..\hl2\hl2_sound_misc_dir.vpk

vpk.exe ..\hl2\hl2_sound_vo_english_dir.vpk

vpk.exe ..\hl2\hl2_textures_dir.vpk

vpk.exe ..\sourcetest\sourcetest_pak_dir.vpk

vpk.exe "..\..\Source SDK Base 2007\vpks\depot_317_dir.vpk"

These commands extract content from all VPKs into new folders.

You can technically leve it like this and modify gameinfo.txt to mount those new folders using a command like this:
game        "|all_source_engine_paths|../Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer/hl2/hl2_misc_dir"
I tested this and that worked but the performance and the stability of the game were kind of poor, I was experiencing a crash to.

Regarding to Valves page they claim that |all_source_engine_paths| would be like a parameter and when you use that with AppID 218 which is Source SDK Base 2007

|all_source_engine_paths| is going to represent the path to Source SDK Base 2007, common\Source SDK Base 2007 the ".." means go back one folder (that folder is common).

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Gameinfo.txt

I think I solved the performance issue by doing this:

3. Cut and paste the bellow folders (the bold ones) into common\Source SDK Base 2007

common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\ep2\ep2_pak_dir
common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\episodic\ep1_pak_dir
common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\hl2\hl2_misc_dir
common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\hl2\hl2_sound_misc_dir
common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\hl2\hl2_sound_vo_english_dir
common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\hl2\hl2_textures_dir
common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\sourcetest\sourcetest_pak_dir

You will now have the folders in these searchpaths:

common\Source SDK Base 2007\ep2_pak_dir (this folder contains files needed from HL2 ep2)
common\Source SDK Base 2007\ep1_pak_dir (this folder contains files needed from HL2 ep1)
common\Source SDK Base 2007\hl2_misc_dir (this folder contains HL2 models, materials and more)

common\Source SDK Base 2007\hl2_sound_misc_dir (this folder contains HL2 sounds)
common\Source SDK Base 2007\hl2_sound_vo_english_dir (this folder contains HL2 sounds)
common\Source SDK Base 2007\hl2_textures_dir (this folder contains HL2 materials)
common\Source SDK Base 2007\sourcetest_pak_dir (this folder contains Source test / SDK materials)
common\Source SDK Base 2007\vpks\depot_317_dir (this folder contains script from HL2 referenced by NH2/scripts/surfaceproperties_manifest.txt and more)

4. Modify your gameinfo file located in sourcemods\NH2:
I have attached my gameinfo-file so what you need to do is:

Use this gameinfo-file if you use this fix, it will only work with this fix =)

Rename sourcemods\NH2\gameinfo.txt to gameinfo_original.txt
Save my attached gameinfo.txt and paste it in sourcemods\NH2

5. Now if you did everything right it should work. Start the game and cross your fingers =)

This is what I did to gameinfo.txt:

- Removed AdditionalContentId

Added those searchpaths:

game |all_source_engine_paths|sourcetest_pak_dir

game |all_source_engine_paths|hl2_misc_dir
game |all_source_engine_paths|hl2_textures_dir
game |all_source_engine_paths|hl2_sound_misc_dir
game |all_source_engine_paths|hl2_sound_vo_english_dir
game |all_source_engine_paths|vpks/depot_317_dir/hl2

game |all_source_engine_paths|ep2_pak_dir

game |all_source_engine_paths|ep1_pak_dir

I´m currently trying to reduce all those folders and mountpoints that will reduce filesize and hopefully improve performance because gameinfo.txt wont need to scan all those folders.

gameinfo.txt

Fix/workaround: #3

Got the game to run using ep2_pak_dir and ep1_pak_dir as well as conntent in source SDK Base 2007.
I think I understand wy this works and will try to explain it here:

In the folder: common/source sdk base 2007/vpks you will find some VPK-files. I think that those will get automounted by Source SDK Base 2007 when the game/tool is run,
nightmare house 2 is using Source SDK Base 2007 and therefor those VPKs will get mounted. And where do they get mounted ?
I think that they will get virtual mounted and replace the base-folders: Source SDK Base 2007\hl2, Source SDK Base 2007\sourcetest and Source SDK Base 2007\platform

If you have an steamaccount with no games installed on it and only the tools Source SDK Base 2007 and Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer those VPKs will be presented in Source SDK Base 2007\vpks:

depot_206_dir.vpk (HL2 content)
depot_207_dir.vpk (HL2 content)
depot_208_dir.vpk (HL2 content)
depot_215_dir.vpk (sourcetest)
depot_216_dir.vpk (HL2/platform)
depot_305_dir.vpk (HL2 content)
depot_306_dir.vpk (HL2 content)
depot_307_dir.vpk (HL2 content)
[depot_310_dit.vpk (HL2/platform)]
depot_317_dir.vpk (platform)

The amount of files and folders in Source SDK Base 2007 will vary and is depending on what and how many games you have installed on your account. I think this is the answer to why my first fix didn't work for everyone.

When I had ep1_pak_dir and ep2_pak_dir in source SDK Base 2007 steam updated the tool to include some ep1 conntent and a new folder (episodic).
This update were also triggerd when I installed Counter-Strike Source:

depot_213_dir.vpk (episodic[source SDK Base updated])
depot_308_dir.vpk (episodic[source SDK Base updated])
depot_309_dir.vpk (episodic/hl2[source SDK Base updated])
depot_381_dir.vpk (episodic/hl2[source SDK Base updated])

The sourcefile "nh1remake_fixed.vmf" are using some decals from Counter-Strike Source, no matter what those decals won´t be loaded in the game.
Maybe they are not in the BSP-file so you might need to recompile the level but as long as you don´t have errors in game you don´t need them...

Now do this:

2. Make sure you have Source SDK Base 2007 and Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer installed on your account

3. Open a command prompt window.
- Windows 7/Vista: Start-Menu (windows-orb) and search for CMD.
- Windows XP: Start-Menu -> Run and type cmd into run, press Enter.

4. Change directory to common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\bin, asuming you have the same searchpaths as I have that would be:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\bin

5. Copy and paste the commands below one by one into the command prompt:

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\bin

vpk.exe ..\ep2\ep2_pak_dir.vpk

vpk.exe ..\episodic\ep1_pak_dir.vpk

These commands extract content from all VPKs into new folders.

6. Cut and paste the bellow folders (the bold ones) into common\Source SDK Base 2007
- common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\ep2\ep2_pak_dir
- common\Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer\episodic\ep1_pak_dir

7. Modify your gameinfo file located in sourcemods\NH2:
- I have attached my gameinfo-file so what you need to do is. Use this gameinfo-file if you use this fix, it will only work with this fix/workaround =)

Rename sourcemods\NH2\gameinfo.txt to gameinfo_original.txt
Save my attached gameinfo.txt and paste it in sourcemods\NH2

8. Now if you did everything right it should work. Start the game and cross your fingers =)

This is what I did to gameinfo.txt:

- Removed AdditionalContentId

Added those searchpaths:

- Game                 |gameinfo_path|.
- Game                 sourcetest
- Game                 hl2
- Game                 ep2_pak_dir
- Game                 ep1_pak_dir

This fix/workaround will:

- Save diskspace
- Reduce amount of mountpoints in gameinfo.txt
- Probably improve performance in game because of fewer mountpoints and the game doesnt need to search in that many folders.

gameinfo.txt

Well I followed the instructions and got everything to work properly in the beginning. No crashes, everything loaded perfectly.. Until I got to the part in the Hospital in that security room before you go up the elevator from the psychiatric floor in the basement.. Also known as the room where you first get the pistol and Emily stares at you through the window until you leave the room.. The game always crashes right after I grab the pistol and the monitors in the room light up one by one when the last monitor lights up the game crashes... Why?? Any suggestions??

Alright so I looked into the crashes a bit more and loaded a new game in a new chapter of the game and it crashed in another spot in the game. It appears that the game is now crashing whenever the game is actually supposed to say "Loading" to load a new portion of the map/game. So any suggestions to fix this problem so that the game will load all of its areas properly without crashing?

Alright so I looked into the crashes a bit more and loaded a new game in a new chapter of the game and it crashed in another spot in the game. It appears that the game is now crashing whenever the game is actually supposed to say "Loading" to load a new portion of the map/game. So any suggestions to fix this problem so that the game will load all of its areas properly without crashing?

Only experienced this crash when I were using the standard gameinfo.txt, did you download my costum one and install that ?

Fix/workaround: #2 and Fix/workaround: #3 should work because different people have tried those and got the game working even if they didn´t have any or the correct games on steam.

Make sure the games are listed in this order in your gameinfo-file:

1. Game: |gameinfo_path|.

2. Game: sourcetest
3. Game half life 2
4. Game half life 2 ep2
5. Game half life ep1 or episodic

Don´t copy above into gameinfo.txt, it´s just an example.
Please download the file from appropriate fix/workaround.

Any recommendations on what  the hell went wrong here? I clicked 'Don't move" for every file individually. I made an account just so I could post this. So sorry if I'm out of the loop. Not just limited to that, some floor textures won't load, but collisions still work. The elevator part right after you pick up the pistol, the doors don't exist, and you clip through the floor of the non-existant elevator when you step through them. Doors to the kitchen are say "error" and flip-flop at the right times, but you can walk through each of them. Tones of sensil outlines of things that should be there, floors outright won't load textures, but can still be walked on. No Checker-Textures, just transparent or "error".
http://imgur.com/RvbKMsp

Any recommendations on what  the hell went wrong here? I clicked 'Don't move" for every file individually. I made an account just so I could post this. So sorry if I'm out of the loop. Not just limited to that, some floor textures won't load, but collisions still work. The elevator part right after you pick up the pistol, the doors don't exist, and you clip through the floor of the non-existant elevator when you step through them. Doors to the kitchen are say "error" and flip-flop at the right times, but you can walk through each of them. Tones of sensil outlines of things that should be there, floors outright won't load textures, but can still be walked on. No Checker-Textures, just transparent or "error".

http://imgur.com/RvbKMsp

Hey new guy =)

You shouldn't have clicked on "Don´t move" for all the files. Folders should be replaced and missing files should be added but not overwritten.

However you shall scroll down on this page and read "Fix/workaround: #3" This guide fix/workaround is more efficient and simpler.

Hi.
I start this mod, and i see this error

Unable to load surface prop file 'scripts/surfaceproperties_ep2.txt' (referenced by manifest file 'scripts/surfaceproperties_manifest.txt)

can help me?

i have source sdk and source sdk base 2007/ 2006

Help!

Hi.

Unable to load surface prop file 'scripts/surfaceproperties_ep2.txt' (referenced by manifest file 'scripts/surfaceproperties_manifest.txt)

can help me?

Help!

Did you actually try any of the fixes presented in the thread?  And don't forget, it's not enough to have Source SDK 2006 and 2007, you also need a legal copy of Half-Life 2: Episode Two that you have played at least once.

you are saying this? " Nightmare house 2: the lost files?"

Yes i have legal copy of HL2 EP 2, but i need update

Hi.

can help me?

Help!

Did you actually try any of the fixes presented in the thread?  And don't forget, it's not enough to have Source SDK 2006 and 2007, you also need a legal copy of Half-Life 2: Episode Two that you have played at least once.

you are saying this? " Nightmare house 2: the lost files?"

Yes i have legal copy of HL2 EP 2, but i need update

Lost Files is a compilation of beta content, unreleased maps, and concept art for Nightmare House 2.  You don't need it to run the game.  Also, you should make sure Episode Two is fully updated (but don't activate the Steampipe beta, I think that breaks NH2) before you try any of the fixes presented in the thread.

Now i have install complete HL2, Ep1 and Ep2, i start NH2, i see the black eye, the menu loading and the mod crash with no notice, i dont know why, but i need play at NH2, help!

(sorry for bad english)

i did a simple update to make it run on the source 2013 engine which should make oculus rift work on it also.

downloads#

- Removed till bug fixed 

Unfortunately, issues with this game are still chasing me. Even after uninstalling and reinstalling a fresh copy for ALL 3 of the work arounds explained here. None of them will work. The first one the game functions, but will either show me floating errors everywhere. As the for next 2, every time I use the CMD and follow the instructions, it always tells me that "VPK.exe" has stopped working. I ignored that for the time simply thing it was because this is quite honestly the worst kind of work around feasible. Following the instructions from 2 and 3 only yeild the same results if I hadn't even tried using any of the work arounds: Launch game, "We Create Stuff" Loading Screen. Crash.

Hi, i try the Fix/workaround: #3. But everytime i want to extract the files the vpk.exe is crashing. Thats really anoying.

BTW:  Search around (for hours) to find a workaround that works isnt fun! So developers FIX YOUR FUCKING GAME! Dammit!

Update: It looks like i fix the Problems. No ctd after starting the game and no (texture) errors anymore. I make it like in Fix/workaround: #3 but i use the gcfscape tool.

BUT the mod dont save my graphic settings.