Mati9319

[SPOILERS] Visiting The House - analysis

7 posts in this topic

So um... I won't be tagging anything as a spoiler in this topic, because of one simple reason - this whole topic is going to be one big spoiler. So if you haven't finished the game yet - go away. It's for your own good...

I've decided to present my thoughts on the all three canonical The House visits. By "canonical", I mean all the visits that are triggered by story advancement, except the first one, when we actually need to click "The House" in the menu.

So yeah, let's begin.

VISIT #1

This is the only visit, which I believe to be a REAL visit in the game so far. It's pretty simple. Jake is sleeping, he receives a call from Frank about the hostage situation in the hospital. Then he packs his things and rushes to aid his fellow officers (and the Prologue begins).

VISIT #2

Now the real fun begins. This visit happened when Jake was telling Micheal about how he was transported to the A.R.C. So what happened? In my opinion, there were two factors:

• fakeness of Jake "being" in Arizona,
  • head trauma caused by the bullet.

Jake probably had a seizure, a blackout or something like that. But from his perspective, he was "thrown" to the projection of The House in his own mind. He was wandering here and there, until... Micheal decided to use "Red-Green Hypnosis" (let's call it that way :P). This kind of "interrogation" appears to be more stable, precise and you know.

So at a certain moment, Micheal's attempt to use this kind of hypnosis was rationalized inside Jake's mind as a sound behind the fog in front of The House. After Jake walking through it, we have a solid proof for my theory - he encounters "Red-Green Doors", which is the symbol of Micheal's hypnosis. By walking through it, Jake allowed him to begin the process... and Jake continued talking about his "stay" in the prison but now... we can't see Arizona, which hints that "Red-Green Hypnosis" is working properly.

Of course, when telling about his second night in the prison, Jake had another fall-out. But since this time it had only slight resemblance with The House, I'm not going to count it as a serious The House visit. Moreover, Jake recovered (walked through "Red Green Doors") from this seizure pretty fast.

VISIT #3

This visit happened after Jake escaped from the police department. I think this is just a mechanical return to The House, because there's nothing more to do after the credits. Moreover, some time before jumping out of the window, Jake got rid of "Her" and The Guilt hallucinations, so I don't think that the third visit was Jake having a blackout. It seems to be just a scripted event after the credits.

I've got something to add. After you return to the house for the 3rd time, you have a scar on your head that was not there the 2nd time you visited the house. I think that's where you got shot.

Hmm... Then we have two possibilities:

1. After falling onto the ground (or into a dumpster or something else) Jake lost his consciousness, thus "returned" to The House.
  2. The scar is just a nice detail.

Something tells me that the first option is correct.

Wait, if he goes back to his house after jumping out the window, wouldn't he get visits from zombies occasionally? I don't see the city in ruins.

Ah you see, the problem is that if something didn't occured to Jake yet - it's not present in The House. In Chapter Two intro, there was no moments when Jake could clearly state something like "So I see many zombies. City is overrun, k"

Epic example: during the 2nd visit to The House, technically Jake should have the scar too, but he didn't. Why? Cause his mind was still in pieces after the headshot. "Red-Green Hypnosis" not only allowed Micheal (and the others) to know what happened after Jake's rampage in the Prologue, but refreshed our protagonist's memory too.

Ah you see, the problem is that if something didn't occured to Jake yet - it's not present in The House. In Chapter Two intro, there was no moments when Jake could clearly state something like "So I see many zombies. City is overrun, k"

Epic example: during the 2nd visit to The House, technically Jake should have the scar too, but he didn't. Why? Cause his mind was still in pieces after the headshot. "Red-Green Hypnosis" not only allowed Micheal (and the others) to know what happened after Jake's rampage in the Prologue, but refreshed our protagonist's memory too.

It would also explain why you can't tune into any channels on the TV. In the prologue, you would be watching the news. In the house, you can't tune into any channels.

I think that House isn't real and Jake was never really there during game. Jake shifts to House everytime when he is sleeping or is in very danger. I think that House is a place in Jake's mind. The House can be releated to Hermit's house which was fired.