JustAnotherGuy

Underhell - Changes To Expect

22 posts in this topic

(THIS IS NOT A REVIEW.)

*SPOILERS BELOW*

I decided to make this topic regarding some of the previous changes in Underhell compared to the 2011 version, address some of the issues for us, and discuss what we could possibly expect in the later chapters of Underhell.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions aswell.

First of all, compared to the 2011 version:

• We now have a new HUD (including a hunger-system, a "bleeding" system and a simple Inventory for quick use)
  • We have more areas to explore in The House (i.e The Well/Sewers, The Playground, The Forest area behind the house...)
  • A new type of "SWAT training" for players
  • New Enemies
  • An implemented stealth-system (for sneaking by NPCs without being instantly noticed, dragging bodies, "silencing" enemies...)
  • New Scares ...
  • More Weapons
  • Different Soundtracks
  • Various other changes ...

​Now, for some of our issues (some aren't really issues, more like suggestions):

• Optimization was a big problem for me in Underhell, and needless to say it was choppy throughout most of Chapter 1's levels.
  • Some of the animations were blocky, but what would you expect? This mod is based off of the Source Engine, and therefore it wasn't actually a major issue for me. Though it would be nice to see more "custom" animations, perhaps.
  • Goals - they were simple and straight to the point. I liked that. But it was always "I should" before "Get" something, or go "Find" this. Why "should" I go and do this? Oh no, maybe "I should go home and think things through." That's a good idea. The point is, maybe a tip or two would prove  useful when you're about to face an angry horde of enemies. Hmm... maybe I could hide above this elevator shaft?

Forgive me if I can't name every single issue in the mod or with the mod, as this is only related to the mod in general (story and gameplay wise) and not just about enemies getting stuck or the mod crashing. So feel free to correct me if i'm mistaken.  :wink2:

And lastly, here's a few things that we could probably even expect story-wise/gameplay-wise in the later versions of Underhell:

• Freeroam? Since we'll most surely be playing in the city at some point in the next chapter (the city which from what i've heard is quite large) and because Chapter 1 often left you exploring different areas, almost freely) then I suppose that we'll be finding certain areas of interest, perhaps given the option to even rescue other survivors on the way too?
  • Bryan? Be warned - spoilers ahead - incase you were ignoring everything I said earlier. Some of us could clearly see Bryan escaping along with Takeo during the very intro of Chapter 2's small opening teaser... after exiting the interrogation room. Curious, why Bryan and not anyone else? It's obvious that he was there when you were shot trying to escape, but how do we know whether Terrace or Benjamin even died (yet) during the train's journey to the surface? I keep feeling like there's more to it than just that. I don't believe that Mxthe would leave us confused like some and continue the story as the way it is. Darn you, Mxthe. :p:  Now i'm going to have dreams.
  • New Areas in The House? - As some of you might have already known, there's very little talk about a nearby powerplant of some sort around The House. No, not right next to it! Just somewhere in the town, or perhaps even the forest... speaking of which, do you think that we'll end up exploring a more expanded area of the forest near The House in the future? What about that tunnel, after cutting through a metal fence (if you have acquired the metal pliers) somewhere in the forest? Hmm... I wonder what's back there.
  • Leaning System would be great, for peeking around corners without getting instantly noticed.

Thanks for reading, and if you read everything, props to you! 

(will be edited over time if needed)

I'd like to see in the new dreams for chapter 2 Randomized guilt attacks! So basically at any time your guilt can appear to chase you around and scare the fuck outta you!

• New Areas in The House? - As some of you might have already known, there's very little talk about a nearby powerplant of some sort around The House. No, not right next to it! Just somewhere in the town, or perhaps even the forest... speaking of which, do you think that we'll end up exploring a more expanded area of the forest near The House in the future? What about that tunnel, after cutting through a metal fence (if you have acquired the metal pliers) somewhere in the forest? Hmm... I wonder what's back there.

Don't forget that locked room down the hall from the bedroom.  Has anyone ever noclipped in there?  Does something happen?

I have. Just a few empty drawers with a lamp on top, and a closet with no doors.

I'll bet some time in the later chapters, we'll open Her Chest to find the keys to the door.

Don't forget that locked room down the hall from the bedroom.  Has anyone ever noclipped in there?  Does something happen?

I have. Just a few empty drawers with a lamp on top, and a closet with no doors.

I'll bet some time in the later chapters, we'll open Her Chest to find the keys to the door.

Well, Mxthe or either someone else was obviously trying to begin work on something in there. I wonder what the room is for?

All these suggestions are great! I like all of em!

Just thought of something else that should be added to the list.  Improving the clunky, unresponsive pathfinding for cyphers.  Or just make them fly lower to the ground.  By my third playthrough of Chapter 1, I got so sick and tired of having to push and kick that flying soda can (I love Bryan's analogy) across the Eastern L Wing hallways that I spawned the Gravity Gun and dragged the son of a bitch over to the Core Access door myself.  If its pathfinding AI can't be improved whatsoever, can you guys at least make it float closer to the floor?  The main problem usually isn't the cypher getting stuck behind a door or in a corner, it's actually the fact that it's just hovering too damn high for almost every hallway in that map.  It doesn't even look like it responds to whistling either, as it makes no effort to keep moving if the hitbox so much as touches a wall.  I know it's a pretty insignificant section of the game compared to everything else, but when the sure-fire easy way out is to use cheats to get a weapon that isn't normally in the game, you know something needs to be fixed ASAP.

The cypher is supposed to fly horribly. Ben said that it's AI wasn't programmed in that area or something like that. You just need to push it a lot.

Unpopular opinion time.

A functioning Co-op story that fills in some story gaps with gameplay that Jake reasonably couldn't be apart of, or gives background (Code Zero at the other facility, hint hint nudge nudge.) to events that have happened or been alluded too.

Or you could just have a co-op story that runs along with Jake's as a SWAT or PMC Duo.

I would like to see them implement a lean feature like in SMOD: Tactical, so when you are sneaking about you don't have to be completely blind around corners and run into a squad of troops. Also, a magazine system, where instead of picking up a box of bullets and counting every bullet in the HUD, now it counts only the mags and you have to load the bullets into the magazine through the inventory screen. It ups the tension when you forget to load up before you entered combat.

Unpopular opinion time.

A functioning Co-op story that fills in some story gaps with gameplay that Jake reasonably couldn't be apart of, or gives background (Code Zero at the other facility, hint hint nudge nudge.) to events that have happened or been alluded too.

Or you could just have a co-op story that runs along with Jake's as a SWAT or PMC Duo.

It's code red, not zero :P

Unpopular opinion time.

It's code red, not zero :P

I've had some rather shoddy sinuses the past few days, don't be surprised if I make a few slips.

I would like to see them implement a lean feature like in SMOD: Tactical, so when you are sneaking about you don't have to be completely blind around corners and run into a squad of troops. Also, a magazine system, where instead of picking up a box of bullets and counting every bullet in the HUD, now it counts only the mags and you have to load the bullets into the magazine through the inventory screen. It ups the tension when you forget to load up before you entered combat.

Leaning is good, but having to load magazines sounds like a wicked tedious thing to do. It's way up there on the realism scale, but I think it would take away some of the fun. Reminds me too much of DayZ.

Realism or not, this game includes survival genre.

Making game as hard as humanly possible is a MUST.

Feature like this will most certainly guarantee tension and excitement during horde attacks.

I felt myself way overpowered.

Feature like reloading each bullet in will at least make us run more, than feel ourselves a half-Rambo type.

I would like if they could edit the gun training room by switching the glock with the Socom or at least mentioning guns secondary functions and that some have silencers, as this was present in the first training room from the first release, but not in this release, and I think it would really help those who are new to the game.

Leaning is good, but having to load magazines sounds like a wicked tedious thing to do.  It's way up there on the realism scale, but I think it would take away some of the fun.  Reminds me too much of DayZ.

Leaning is good, but having to load magazines sounds like a wicked tedious thing to do.  It's way up there on the realism scale, but I think it would take away some of the fun.  Reminds me too much of DayZ.

You are right now that I think about it, it would fit for a game like STALKER where it is more of a simulation rather than a traditional story-based design philosophy that Underhell follows. I think that the stealth mechanics should be improved and refined. The combat is as good as it is going to be, better than I have seen in most SMOD incarnations (seriously, that stamina meter limiting the kick as a godsend).

EDIT: Derp, two quotes.

There is at least two ways to do this to make the magazines realistic and not cause ammo to be wasted (some code talk below, but it should be understandable):

Option One: Coder creates a struct (MAG for example), and the struct will hold an element saying what kind of ammo it is (10mm, shotgun, etc.) and an integer holding the current number of bullets it has left in the magazine. When reloading the previous MAG is discarded and is kept on the player character. The player character can only hold so many MAGs, though, and the player will need to actually drop MAGs (use an ammo drop function), when he has too many. A seperate indicator can be shown to the player telling the types of MAGs he has and how many bullets are in each of them. One can manually use this indicator to switch to a specific MAG.

Option Two: Same as above, but the MAGs actually take up space in the inventory screen. They can stack (10 10mm MAGs a slot, 3 shotgun packs a slot, perhaps...), forcing the player to integrate resource conservation directly with ammo, too.

Of course, this would mean that the player would need a button to pick up ammo to work. I don't know if Source can do that.

There is at least two ways to do this to make the magazines realistic and not cause ammo to be wasted (some code talk below, but it should be understandable):

Option One: Coder creates a struct (MAG for example), and the struct will hold an element saying what kind of ammo it is (10mm, shotgun, etc.) and an integer holding the current number of bullets it has left in the magazine. When reloading the previous MAG is discarded and is kept on the player character. The player character can only hold so many MAGs, though, and the player will need to actually drop MAGs (use an ammo drop function), when he has too many. A seperate indicator can be shown to the player telling the types of MAGs he has and how many bullets are in each of them. One can manually use this indicator to switch to a specific MAG.

Option Two: Same as above, but the MAGs actually take up space in the inventory screen. They can stack (10 10mm MAGs a slot, 3 shotgun packs a slot, perhaps...), forcing the player to integrate resource conservation directly with ammo, too.

Of course, this would mean that the player would need a button to pick up ammo to work. I don't know if Source can do that.

Why not the use button?

Why not the use button?

I haven't seen such a system done before with Source with the use button to pick up ammo manually.

What are you talking about?

There are loads of SWEPS and different GMOD game modes that use that "button to pick up" ammo feature

If that MP stuff can be ported to SP mods, then yeah, that would work.

What are you talking about?

There are loads of SWEPS and different GMOD game modes that use that "button to pick up" ammo feature

If that MP stuff can be ported to SP mods, then yeah, that would work.

They all originally are for SP

Bryan? Be warned - spoilers ahead - incase you were ignoring everything I said earlier. Some of us could clearly see Bryan escaping along with Takeo during the very intro of Chapter 2's small opening teaser... after exiting the interrogation room. Curious, why Bryan and not anyone else? It's obvious that he was there when you were shot trying to escape, but how do we know whether Terrace or Benjamin even died (yet) during the train's journey to the surface? I keep feeling like there's more to it than just that. I don't believe that Mxthe would leave us confused like some and continue the story as the way it is. Darn you, Mxthe. :p:  Now i'm going to have dreams.

Oh umm Clearly responding to the underlined words,Terry and Ben already Died In the EXPLOSION (during the escape) meaning that they Failed to do what they had todo.

Oh umm Clearly responding to the underlined words,Terry and Ben already Died In the EXPLOSION (during the escape) meaning that they Failed to do what they had todo.

Uhm, you propably forgot or ignored the part where was stated that escape with an explosion in the end wasn't real.

Bryan? Be warned - spoilers ahead - incase you were ignoring everything I said earlier. Some of us could clearly see Bryan escaping along with Takeo during the very intro of Chapter 2's small opening teaser... after exiting the interrogation room. Curious, why Bryan and not anyone else? It's obvious that he was there when you were shot trying to escape, but how do we know whether Terrace or Benjamin even died (yet) during the train's journey to the surface? I keep feeling like there's more to it than just that. I don't believe that Mxthe would leave us confused like some and continue the story as the way it is. Darn you, Mxthe. :p:  Now i'm going to have dreams.

Ben and Terry are MIA; at best we'll see them in very late Chapter 2 or Chapter 3.

The explosion you say in the desert didn't happen. The desert escape was an alternate series of events Jake thought up. In reality, Bryan and Jake were captured after fighting Igor.

I assume that Ben and Terry are hiding in the basement somewhere to let Ito and the zombies fight each other.

Uhm, you propably forgot or ignored the part where was stated that escape with an explosion in the end wasn't real.

yeah sorry I wasn't thinking that time :l