Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blazer3136

The Blinking Lights *POTENTIAL SPOILERS*

7 posts in this topic

So I've wondered. There are the occasional break-ups in the game where Jake apparently experiences Dizziness and eventually collapses. During this, he see's the rusty metal hallway and the doors with blinking red/green lights. I wondered, since near the end the red/green lights are shown to induce Jake so that he can tell his story to the Lawyer and other folk, are these break-ups supposed to be where the trance starts to falter and they put him through it again, or possibly something else entirely? 

Just some random 1am in the morning thinking.

You know, explaining the whole story and events during chapter 1, is quite a hard thing to do overall.

I think that of it would be Neil Druckman or Christopher Nolan whom you ask for explanation, you'd get most precise answer.

Even though at the ending of Chapter 1, Michael is saying that

after Jake got shot in the head, this is where things start to break apart, while narrating his story in ARC facility

, I still doubt that everything before that moment actually happened.

Why I think that way?

Because we still got not a single clue as to what made Jake

go Berserk while suffocating in a gas chamber during the prologue

But regarding blinking lights, I guess you understand yourself that it actually serves as an actual psychological Boost, to a memory recovery

The weird part is, while it seemed like the lights were used by Michael to put Jake in a trance to re-live his story, when Jake went up the elevator to Level 1, the trance broke at a seemingly random time. And this wasn't just a case of Jake needing to stare at the lights again, as it actually affected him in the facility, as he apparently blacked out, as if he was drunk, and had to be dragged into the vents by Hermit for safety. Which is why i think the events of Chapter 1 are not simply a flashback, but maybe a live event.

The weird part is, while it seemed like the lights were used by Michael to put Jake in a trance to re-live his story, when Jake went up the elevator to Level 1, the trance broke at a seemingly random time. And this wasn't just a case of Jake needing to stare at the lights again, as it actually affected him in the facility, as he apparently blacked out, as if he was drunk, and had to be dragged into the vents by Hermit for safety. Which is why i think the events of Chapter 1 are not simply a flashback, but maybe a live event.

Couldn't put it better myself

Still struggling to understand whether all these events were live event or flashbacks

Perhaps the red-green lights were having Jake just move past other, useless events in his memory such as being unconscious.

That makes sense for all but one blinking light sequence.  The one at the end of the Residential Area right before the first encounter with the PMCs.  Nothing seems to trigger that one other than Jake simply walking down a hallway when everything suddenly turns rusty and decayed.  I think the Hermit mentions it later on as well, stating that Jake looked like he was wandering around in a drunken stupor when it happened.  What do you think that means?

There are several possibilities:

1. Most likely, Jake starting remembering Chapter 1 wrong since that part of his memory was likely corrupted or removed. Think of Jake's memory as a train, and that segment of the game causing a derailment. Presumably, Michael fast-forwarded to a more stable part of his memory. Also, some proof that this is, in fact, a retelling of the past: If you allow Ben to die when he goes to Core Command, a message pops up saying "That's not how it happened.." and then the game reloads.

1a. It had something to do with some sort of super-zombie. The rustiness indicated that the super-zombie was coming, and the memory of Jake encountering the super-zombie was skipped.

2. Alternative universe; Jake entered Underhell's Otherworld counterpart briefly before blacking out and being sent back to the prime universe.