Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PieCrie

Did they abandon the SMOD version of the source engine?

18 posts in this topic

I just downloaded chapter 1 and replaying the prologue and noticed that a lot of the old juicy features are gone, now the blood is casual, no awesome gibbing, no slow-motion, no leaning etc. . Are these deliberate adjustments or side effects of leaving the SMOD Engine?

I just downloaded chapter 1 and replaying the prologue and noticed that a lot of the old juicy features are gone, now the blood is casual, no awesome gibbing, no slow-motion, no leaning etc. . Are these deliberate adjustments or side effects of leaving the SMOD Engine?

Since there was no proper SMOD for the Source 2007, Mxthe needed to find a programmer who wrote the key Underhell's features from scratch.

It may have a less gore than it was back with the SMOD (btw here you can read about their new gib system), and leaning is not implemented YET (I think it will return in Steam release).

Yo, Underhell creators, let me inform you of BSNOOCH, a very SMOD-Centric forum. I bet you 50 bucks there will either already be SSDK2007 support already or someone that will do it there.

Yo, Underhell creators, let me inform you of BSNOOCH, a very SMOD-Centric forum. I bet you 50 bucks there will either already be SSDK2007 support already or someone that will do it there.

Not following the news? The team is porting the game to Source 2013.

Less gore? Are you joking?

In the old version bodies would explode in random parts.

Now you can individually dismember every part of their bodies, drag them around and store their arms and legs in lockers.

mCUNjOy.jpg

The blood is not casual, it's less exaggerated but still advanced, there are 3 types of blood decals, one for bullet hits, one for dragging bodies, and one for exploding heads (which is a blood spray that contains some brain matter in it)

There are fountain of blood when you dismember a body, an even bigger fountain of blood when you blow an enemy's head off.

There are dozens of new features that were not in SMOD and that are improved upon, namely the kick which allows to kick doors open, and was restrained so that you can't kick 50 times a second.

You should watch these 2 videos.

The slowmo is still there, what are you talking about ? It only triggers in specific parts, there was no manual usage in Prologue either. (Unless you used a cheat, which you can still do here, it's just a different CVAR.)

The only feature that didn't make in was the leaning, and we do plan to add that eventually.

Also, I know about BSNOOCH, and there is nothing anyone can do about SMOD without the SMOD source code, and that's just a fact, everything anyone does about SMOD is just hacks and tweaks, and it's still the old 2006 source engine with loading times over 3 minutes, there is no way to port it to a newer engine without the Source Code.

The author started porting it to 2007 and then stopped, and SMOD is pretty much dead.

Many some people will bring it back via some random fixes, but it will never be anything more than it used to be.

So yeah, we abandoned SMOD and made our own game, that has features oriented around the game design that Underhell needs.

If you want SMOD like fun, I recommend Bulletstorm

PS : You owe me 50 bucks.

Less gore? Are you joking?

In the old version bodies would explode in random parts.

Now you can individually dismember every part of their bodies, drag them around and store their arms and legs in lockers.

dude the normal smod dismemberment is hardcore as shit, but not as good for stealth I gu- Actually you could get rid of the gibs in SMOD by pressing E on them, so unless you can eliminate blood splatters in game in the new version its gameplay functionality would be pretty much the same

The blood is not casual, it's less exaggerated but still advanced, there are 3 types of blood decals, one for bullet hits, one for dragging bodies, and one for exploding heads (which is a blood spray that contains some brain matter in it)

There are fountain of blood when you dismember a body, an even bigger fountain of blood when you blow an enemy's head off.

There are dozens of new features that were not in SMOD and that are improved upon, namely the kick which allows to kick doors open, and was restrained so that you can't kick 50 times a second.

Aw come on, that floaty, frictionless, physics defying dust is hardly as satisfying as the thick juicy gushing streams of bloody blood that's in SMOD

The slowmo is still there, what are you talking about ? It only triggers in specific parts, there was no manual usage in Prologue either. (Unless you used a cheat, which you can still do here, it's just a different CVAR.)

Actually I'm pretty sure slowmo was available all the time in the prologue

You got a bad memory then. Y'know I still have that old version of the Prologue, I can upload it for you so you can be sure.

And all arguments above are just simple "AW CUM ON SMOD HAD MUCH MORE BLOOOOOOD!"

Seriously, get over it. Underhell didn't become any worse after "losing" a little features.

You got a bad memory then. Y'know I still have that old version of the Prologue, I can upload it for you so you can be sure.

And all arguments above are just simple "AW CUM ON SMOD HAD MUCH MORE BLOOOOOOD!"

Seriously, get over it. Underhell didn't become any worse after "losing" a little features.

Well shit, look at me all fucking stupid over here asking a question and expressing how I like the feel of the old SMOD version better (also didnt that have collision based movement and camera, which was really awesome) than the new one. Sure I said they could go looking for a way to implement some of the juicy features, because I really wouldnt mind, but I'm not flat out requesting nor pressuring the devs to do anything lmao

Well shit, look at me all fucking stupid over here asking a question and expressing how I like the feel of the old SMOD version better (also didnt that have collision based movement and camera, which was really awesome) than the new one. Sure I said they could go looking for a way to implement some of the juicy features, because I really wouldnt mind, but I'm not flat out requesting nor pressuring the devs to do anything lmao

Okay, you have your opinion. Understandable. But the way you respond to Mxthe's words is not really nice (at least for me).

Yeah, the SMOD feel in Prologue was awesome in some ways (I just played a bit of this, realized that I miss the moments when soldiers are continuing to shoot for a second when dying in F.E.A.R. fashion). But I'm not sure that will be appropriate in Chapter One (and the future chapters), considering the aspect on survival.

But the way you respond to Mxthe's words is not really nice (at least for me).

yeah that was not cool of me tbh 

Also quick question, when does stuff start to happen in chapter one? I've been prancing about the house waiting for stuff to happen, going to sleep after I fixed it, walk about with the same hint about a noise in front of the house without anything happening and this has been going on for ages. do i need to spook around at night and absolutely shit myself, do I need to take down the dreamcatcher? what?

edit: nvm i got past it

holy shit do i have to play the nightmare sequences ;-;

if stuff did not happen try this (on the game's house):

take a parper and a pencil and write "i love 666"

paint your front house with an eye and a triangle and write "illuminati house"

make a devil ritual on your house

throw her stuff into some fire of the devil ritual

kill yourself and wake up

call some religion maniac and ask him to put "her" inside your mind.

PS: that above was jokes. Serious text begins now

The stealth system for underhell is pretty serious, now let's compare payday 2 stealth with unedrhell stealth:

payday 2: a guard takes a year to notice you

underhell: "Target spoted!"

payday 2: even with a silencer, all the weps are really loud and even if you shoot, people will don't give a fuck about it

underhell: even that pistol with a silencer will attract some atention. WITH A SILENCER!

payday 2: alarm goes, you can't hide

underhell: yuo can still hide, but the people will still try to find you

payday 2: guards can scream all over the building if you kill them and the people will be like: "ah that was nothing.."

underhell: if you kill someone all the guards will go check it out.

payday 2: if a civilian hasn't looked at you and if you scream to him "GET DOWN!" he won't give you attention

underhell: if you try to make a distraction and one guard see you, there goes the alarm.

Just saying, tough.

payday 2: even with a silencer, all the weps are really loud and even if you shoot, people will don't give a fuck about it

underhell: even that pistol with a silencer will attract some atention. WITH A SILENCER!

Well if someone is nearby he can hear some noice. Also sometimes it's hard to make a headshot kill because of the helmets on PMCs. I usually use a crossbow, because it's really deadly.

Those are things that we would want to fix.

-Making sure that killing an enemy with a silencer is discreet.

-Shooting at an enemy who is in Idle should do 2x the amount of damage. (Easier stealth kills)

-Killing an enemy with a melee weapon while he is idle would make him die without screaming/alerting anyone nearby.

Those fixes will hopefully be implemented in the Steam release.

yes, you also would want to make the silencer be more "silenced" (if you know what I mean), just to be sure it is realistic. Also, an good animation of like putting your hand on the enemy's mouth would be cool.

yes, you also would want to make the silencer be more "silenced" (if you know what I mean), just to be sure it is realistic.

I'm pretty sure he just said that.

But anyway, it would be nice if stealth was more easier. I personally like to sneak if there's an option, but it was always just so hard. I even cheated to use the "save" console command, and a total count of the first stealth level's restarts due to alerts was something like 15-20.

An option of also "stealthing" on the boss battle, if you like disable the alarm or something like that would be so cool!