Milo

Level 39, a nifty shortcut.

13 posts in this topic

I assume the original design intent was for the player to collect all the crates, and then stack them to reach the exit platform..

Well, anyway, I found a much easier way:

shortcut.jpg

Since one can stand on the side of the portal (given you have 2 open), one can also place crates on the side of the portal, and use that combination as a stepping stone.

Pretty neat, don't you think? :D

PS: Love the game. The only downside I see is that it's running in flash. A game like this just seems to beg for hardware acceleration (of any sort).

Either way, If you made something like that with about 80 levels, I wouldn't think twice about spending 10-15$ to buy.

Interesting. I'll find a way to prevent that.

We're glad you liked our game :)

I'll be honest, I agree about the flash 'downside'. But it's like Live Messenger - You hate it, but you have to use it.

Ido said:

I'll be honest, I agree about the flash 'downside'. But it's like Live Messenger - You hate it, but you have to use it.

Heh, I'v never had to use Live Messenger.

But I think I can understand what you're trying to say in this case. For interactive media on the web, Flash is definitely the most popular publishing platform. I mean whatever you make (be it games or movies), if you made it with Flash you can post it to a site like Newgrounds and get unbelievable coverage within minutes.

That's a very powerful thing (promotion wise especially), so I'm not surprised that talented developers (like yourself) would make the performance sacrifice. It's common, I think.

PS: Is this game running in AVM1 or 2? Also, did you borrow any code for physics/collision detection, or is it all yours (<- if so, did you write it from scratch, or do you have your own general engine that you use and improve upon over time)?

Milo said:

Ido said:

Heh, I'v never had to use Live Messenger.

But I think I can understand what you're trying to say in this case. For interactive media on the web, Flash is definitely the most popular publishing platform. I mean whatever you make (be it games or movies), if you made it with Flash you can post it to a site like Newgrounds and get unbelievable coverage within minutes.

That's a very powerful thing (promotion wise especially), so I'm not surprised that talented developers (like yourself) would make the performance sacrifice. It's common, I think.

PS: Is this game running in AVM1 or 2? Also, did you borrow any code for physics/collision detection, or is it all yours (

I believe AVM1, I'm not very familiar with these names yet. I made the whole physics and collision engine myself, especially for Portal, but I have no doubt it will help me in future games in many ways.
It really evolved in the last couple of months though - it used to be very basic, but as I got better during the development I rewrote it.

Heh, so it was that I was supose to do with all those boxes... Well seems that I have found another way...

First create two portals on the floor right before the wall and one on the wall in mid air, as you can see in the image below.

92603887kr7.th.jpg

Jump into the ground portal and end on the box.

30482349nz8.th.jpg

Now... jump again into the ground portal and now you should have a lot of speed so, soon as you hit the box again jump another time with the direction of the door. If your 1337 jumping skills are good as mine :P, you will end right about here:

60922102cf6.th.jpg

Was this intended? Because I it did not hit my mind stacking the boxes up >.<

Either way, you skip a lot of work with this method =P.

@ Mr. Zero

Wow, that is way faster. I mean in the sense that it's faster to get through the level of course (I don't know about you guys, but even with the image quality on lowest, the later levels still lag quite a bit for me).

I was wondering: Did anyone hold a good framerate on the later levels, and if so could you please describe your set up (machine specs, memory, processor type etc).

I also found one strange glitch on this level. When I go through the exit, I appear to entry (it was like teleport). That happens about three times and then I came looking help from here (if somebody would be noticed same glitch). But didn't found so I tried again and the it works well (I got to level 40).

I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who have got this bug, but I thought it might be a good to tell.

P.S. I hope you understand what I mean, I'm so bad to explain this things, especially in English :ashy:

Mr. Zero - Thanks for that, we're gonna add a blue plasma ray over there to prevent that.

bloblo - A known bug, you're not the only one. The next version (1.1.0) won't be released till it's fully fixed. If you finished the level as you should have and it still happens, allow yourself to legally cheat using the console (enable through the options, open with the "~" key) - type "nextlevel".

At last for this case in 39 you don't even need a box there.

That works that way:

First you have to create those two portals there. (One of them is half on this "No Portal Zone")

52502086co0.th.jpg

After that you have to walk through the lower portal an stand in the upper like that:

66343545ue3.th.jpg

Next jump up and create the upper portal at the opposite wall. (also works with removing both portals ®)

Still in air, move right onto the wall.

56489074nj2.th.jpg

Funny way to get rid of this level. (After doing it the original way~)

Sorry about no screenies, but in the first part of 39 if you put a teleporter on the wall underneath the 1st turret, and then repeatedly go threw it, (its on the roof below the room that the turret is in) it makes the turret disapear....?