Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jasonharper

Bug: energy ball lifetime depends on FPS

2 posts in this topic

I'm trying to play the game on a rather old computer, that only manages about 7 FPS even with the quality turned way down. The gameplay was quite acceptable to me even at that slow of a rate, at least until level 22 - there appears to be only one possible solution to that level, but the energy ball always exploded well before it reached its goal.

I noticed that it didn't always explode at exactly the same point: I found that if I moved the cursor around constantly while jumping up and down, thus lowering my FPS a bit, it would explode even earlier.

I did finally manage to complete level 22, without changing my portal setup at all - I just shrank the window down, much smaller than the game, and scrolled to the lower right corner (where no animations were taking place). That got me enough extra FPS for the ball to reach the goal. Of course, all that accomplished was getting me to level 23, where the same problem occurs (and can't be worked around in the same way, since I need to see to move the portals).

Something's very wrong here - the point at which the ball explodes ought to be specified entirely in terms of game world distance, the FPS shouldn't enter into it.

It counts the time, 20 seconds, no matter the fps at the moment and that's why you're having this issue. I may be able to fix this, but Portal TFV really is a one heavy flash, and was not meant to be played on that low end computers (well, as far as I suppose, because my old Intel 2.4 ran it on 20 fps in most of the levels on medium). You may have bigger fps issues at levels with a lot of boxes and balls for instance.

But once again, you are right, it shouldn't be bothered by the FPS (scriptish it should be said the opposite way), I'll see what I can do - thanks for pointing it out :)