Hen7

Ideas needed

580 posts in this topic

Are you guys going to make different skins for the zombies? Personally, the HL2 zombies just are not that scary, with the exception of the fast and poison zombie without their headcrabs.

Anyway, here are some more ideas. Make some hallcunations that make the player feel sad. For example, as the player walks past a door, they hear banging and someone pleading for help. If they try to open it, the banging stops and the person on the other side tells you the door is locked, but there is another way in. As you progress, you find the other way in, only to find a lone zombie in the room. Instintivly, you kill it. Then the screen flashes white and it is revealed that you killed the survivor from earlier. Barely audible cruel laughter can be heard in the distance, slowing fading away. Also, make the player disoriented. Make an upside room, where you are walking on the ceiling. Make a room or hallway where as the player enters, their hearing is impaired as if they are underwater. Make a short hallway that suddenly becomes miles long. Also, I think an NPC that helps you would be good. Have the NPC stay with the player a long time or have them come at just the right time, saving the player multiple times. Then, kill the NPC, in some brutal way. It doesn't have to be in front of the player either, they could just turn a corner and see their "friend" dead. This would surely enrage or sadden some people, maybe mess up their perception, make them more jumpy. You need to focus on breaking the players' minds down, not just taking them out of their comfort zone but tearing them out of it screaming. You should make it so that the screen will randomly flash at some point. The player will stop and wonder what happened. They will look around, not seeing anything unusual. Then they will freak out when they realize that their character's hands have become skeletal. Well, thats all I got for now, Keep up the good work guys. I saw your trailer. The ghost guy and the part with the monitors was awsome.

Pirkle91 said:

Are you guys going to make different skins for the zombies? Personally, the HL2 zombies just are not that scary, with the exception of the fast and poison zombie without their headcrabs.

Anyway, here are some more ideas. Make some hallcunations that make the player feel sad. For example, as the player walks past a door, they hear banging and someone pleading for help. If they try to open it, the banging stops and the person on the other side tells you the door is locked, but there is another way in. As you progress, you find the other way in, only to find a lone zombie in the room. Instintivly, you kill it. Then the screen flashes white and it is revealed that you killed the survivor from earlier. Barely audible cruel laughter can be heard in the distance, slowing fading away. Also, make the player disoriented. Make an upside room, where you are walking on the ceiling. Make a room or hallway where as the player enters, their hearing is impaired as if they are underwater. Make a short hallway that suddenly becomes miles long. Also, I think an NPC that helps you would be good. Have the NPC stay with the player a long time or have them come at just the right time, saving the player multiple times. Then, kill the NPC, in some brutal way. It doesn't have to be in front of the player either, they could just turn a corner and see their "friend" dead. This would surely enrage or sadden some people, maybe mess up their perception, make them more jumpy. You need to focus on breaking the players' minds down, not just taking them out of their comfort zone but tearing them out of it screaming. You should make it so that the screen will randomly flash at some point. The player will stop and wonder what happened. They will look around, not seeing anything unusual. Then they will freak out when they realize that their character's hands have become skeletal. Well, thats all I got for now, Keep up the good work guys. I saw your trailer. The ghost guy and the part with the monitors was awsome.

Seek. Help. Now.

OMG. I got some more ideas. Well, here we go. You should make a part where the player "dies". They get killed by a trap or something as they walk down a empty hall. Their health drops to zero and they get the death animation. Then the screen flashes and they are in the hall again, now a old looking dead body lies on the floor where the trap awaits them. Screw with the players hearing. I played Dead Space at my friends house not long ago and she has surround sound. I was more unnerved by the little scurrying sounds coming from the walls, faint screaming, crying and strange mechanical noises than most of the enemies. Sounds are important because they are mysterious. It might sound like someone crying, but if you never find the person, how can you be sure? It might not even be real :wink2:. Despite the fact that blood and gore are overused by most movies and games, you should still make good use of it. Specifectly, in places where it shouldn't be. Large blood puddles on the ceiling or a blood trail along a wall like something was dragged on it. Make points where the player takes a very small amount of damage from something behind them, turning to see nothing there. But they will hear fading laughter. Also, someone posted something about a chess board like room earlier. I think it could be a good idea, you would just have to make it macrabe. Maybe make it a puzzle where you have to make it to the other side, but you have to move like you are a bishop or knight. The other pieces could be various dead bodies or zombies. Also, you should make multiple melee weapons. Don't give the player a gun for some time. Maybe the little axe from NHR, a pipe, a crowbar, and a sledgehammer. It will make it more intense if the player has to risk getting hit by a zombie to kill it instead of just shooting it. Also, make a part where the player has to face a massize number of creatures at once. To live, they must barricade themselves in a room, desperately fighting off the creatures, having to find more things to make a barrier with as their barriers get destroyed. A lot of monsters all the time isn't scary. But I armada that assaults you out of nowhere, that is a positive "OH SHIT" moment. Well, now I'm out of ideas. I hope you guys still have time to add some of these if you haven't already. Good luck on the mod and I can't wait to see the finished product.

I really hope you guys don't mind me flooding you with potential ideas, I've been writing a horror novel recently and I've really been researching phobias and things that scare or unnerve people no matter how brave they are. And I really liked NH and LOVED NHR and I'm not a programmer or anything so I wanted to help somehow. Anyway, I got some more ideas. Yes, these are just coming off the top of my head. If it isn't to difficult, Have the player look into a mirror and see a whole different place. Like a alternate reality. Or the true reality. Make a part where the player gets their weapons taken away. Not too many parts like that, then it gets annoying. But just once or twice, right before a part where those weapons could be really useful would really put most players in a state of panic. Prey on fears that alot of people have. Bugs, heights, tight spaces, darkness, and drowning would be good ones. Make the player doubt what he sees. Debris or bodies that vanish after the player passes by them. Doors that you need a key to open, and after you find the key and bring it back, the door is gone. Or the room is already opened. Don't give the player to much of an idea of where to go. NH and NHR were fairly lineir, make NH2 have a bit more free roam. Not too much though, you don't want them getting too sidetracked. Maybe make a couple different ways to accomplish things. Get sound effects that are unnerving for everyone. Like the nails on a chalk board kind of sounds. Fnally, Make the player waste ammo. It sounds cruel, but its a good idea. If they have a shotgun, even if it doesn't have a whole lot of ammo, they will feel safe. Make enemies that really are not there, attacking them, then they fire at them and the screen flashes. No more enemie. No damage taken. But, thats one or more precious bullets that they won't be getting back. Well, I'll quit posting for awhile, give someone else a chance, Lol. :rofl:

Hen, since this is an abandon insane asylum, you should really try to fit in th INSANE factor. When I think of insane asylums( which often do, creepily), I think of people mumbling to themselves or sitting in a large empty room in a straight jacket having a seizure. This guy has no idea how he got there, right? Well then as the story progresses, you need to have images of people he loves or knows appear in places, and when the player approaches they disappear. This gives the player the idea that the reason he is here is because he IS insane. Most people won't get scared by zombies to tell the truth. You need to have a torn up patient, in a straight jacket, all cut up. This shows us that the asylum may have a much darker past such as the doctors turning on patients, or the government decided to experiment on the mentally ill for there own personal gain. You need to make the player feel safe even when he's really not. Make rooms that have air vents, and inside those air vents you can see zombies spying on you revealing that no matter where you are, you are never safe.This is a very fragile idea with the air vents, overdoing it could completely ruin the atmosphere. Instead make the zombies spy on you in the most unlikely places this tells the player "nowhere is safe." You need a part where you venture in to a chamber where an insane person used to be. Then, all of the sudden the door slams behind you, and through the glass window on the door you see the most evil thing you have ever seen, and several other zombies planning to harvest you.

Well, hope you like my ideas, and sorry if my grammar sucks. I'm to tired to proofread.

TheNoiseExplosion has sum pretty good ideas....

But A good mod for another game(Postal 2: Share the Pain) called "Eternal Damnation" gives me ideas to post here...

I like the idea of showing ones the player would know as family...but instead of having it so the player sees them and then as they approach them they disappear...instead have it so they player approaches several rooms and in each he sees his family going insane...this gives him the sense that his entire family has a history of going insane...

For example you could show for the father him in a straight jacket standing at wall but there is blood all over it and you just see and clearly hear him bashing his head against it...over and over again...

Another idea would for the mother...have it so as you approach the room she would be in...you also are reaching the end of the hallway of rooms and at the end is a bar wall that you can see another hallway of...and as you approach it you see your mom run down the hall on the other side of the bars and see a monster chasing her...then you can turn and walk up to the door of the room she is sposed to be in and see her just appear and quickly get mangled by the beast and then disappear...

Now to get the bar and extra hallway trick to work..you would have to put in the middle of the hallway of rooms a pathway the player would take...

---Stixsmaster

Anyone familiar with the movie Jacobs Ladder? Well, if it is possible, you should diffently use the very fast head flapping thing that is used in that movie. Personally, that is just creppy as hell, especially just hearing it and the player is like, "What the hell is that?", then they look through a window on a door and see a mental patient or a doctor, with his head flapping around like crazy. Don't over use it though, once or twice is creppy but twenty times gets old. Also, to make them feel really unsafe, have the building itself agaisnt them. I'm guessing the asylum is going to be a place of evil, so make it evil. Doors slamming right after you open them. Windows exploding. Lights going out. parts of the building "collapsing" right as you walk underneath or over them. Have stuff just burst into flames for no apparent reason. From what I've seen of the trailer, it looks like there are two ghosts. You should have one kind of nice to you although not in a very obvious way. The other can be extremly malevolent. Maybe make the girl from NHR the nice one. Maybe she feels bad about scaring you so much in NHR. Or, to be unloving, make them both evil. Well, I think thats it for now, hope I've been of some help.

i like the idea of the two ghost. if that doesn't make it into NH2 i think i'd like to see it in another mod.

maybe both ghost are "bad" but in different ways. one just wants to quck your world up. the other one wants to manipulate you into fulfilling it's agenda, and doesn't care about what you go through to do it.

here is one that i just thought up.

you could have a hallway, and when the player walks down, he suddenly has a dream sequence. (he is you now) you walk into a small room, no bigger than a classroom. you see a little girl sitting at a desk, and you walk over to her and ask what she is drawing. she says: "you'll die in here. everyone will. you can never escape." as she looks up, you see that she is the ghost from NH:R and start to back up. as she gets closer, the lights will go out. when you get out your flashlight, you see alma or some little girl in the corner. she is hunched over, and you can hear her singing "ring around the rosy". when she gets to the ashes, ashes part you get transported back to the hallway. about 30 seconds later, you here "we all fall..." and on "down" have her appear in front of you, screaming with her eyes glowing a bright yellow.

Pretty cool, NightMarr. But I'm REALLY hoping NH2 doesn't play too much off the ridiculously cliched "children are scary" horror ploy. I'm so glad Hen didn't do that in the first one. Even though the main ghost is a little girl, it didn't play on all the overdone scare tactics, like children singing songs in a creepy way or anything similar to that, and I hope the sequel maintains that step above the common horror story and stays original.